• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Gender stereotypes in advertising. Banned

Expect only kittens in Adverts now.

Oh wait. Kittens might be thought of as feminine so it'll have to be oak trees.

Or are they too masculine?

New rules come into place today

Just now, eight said:

Isn't all advertising based on the smart woman/stupid man stereotype?

Tempted to write to various advertisers thanking them for the information on their product/offering but will have to decline its purchase for being too clever to be suitable for my use. Do you think it would trigger them? xD

2 minutes ago, eight said:

Yes..  that is one of the things they are “banning” to be fair.

But just...  why?

Why micromanage everything into oblivion? 

I also question how relevant it is..  do people still watch adverts any more?  I can’t remember the last time I saw one other than the controversial ones that occasionally get discussed on here. o.O

1 minute ago, ccc said:

It's up to them to "decide" if they are negative stereotypes or not. 

Make-work hole-filling for government quangos with no other purpose in society. ¬¬

All adverts are based on stereotypes, and most of them are quite insulting in their assumptions. I guess we need to look at where advert writers come from.

It's all micromanaging bullshit.

people who actually take any notice of advertising are fucking stupid.

Mind you could be used to advantage, next time there is some domestic violence advert - unless there is a 40% representation of male victims of DV (the home office figures) then there will be swift complaints.

... also how about all those adverts with black males / white female pairings - as they should be representative then they should be in the minority?

... let's see how far down the rabbit hole you can go with this, it's ridiculous

Golden rule, the best products are not advertised, advertising on TV costs money which goes on the bottom line.

In the case of cars, never-ever buy a new model of car that is advertised, it will be shit or not meet your expectations plus any residual value when you come to sell will be shit.

7 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Golden rule, the best products are not advertised, advertising on TV costs money which goes on the bottom line.

In the case of cars, never-ever buy a new model of car that is advertised, it will be shit or not meet your expectations plus any residual value when you come to sell will be shit.

I take that approach with phones, if provider wants to offer me an "upgrade" i'm not touching it if it hasn't been out for at least 12 months. New stuff is rushed to market without proper testing and is usually buggy as hell. The same applies to cars, new cars generally have more issues in their first 3 years, than a 5 year old car would have in the same period.

40 minutes ago, Snark said:

I take that approach with phones, if provider wants to offer me an "upgrade" i'm not touching it if it hasn't been out for at least 12 months. New stuff is rushed to market without proper testing and is usually buggy as hell. The same applies to cars, new cars generally have more issues in their first 3 years, than a 5 year old car would have in the same period.

Our car wasn't even finished when we got it; it had to go back twice to have bits put on.

There never really was much need for advertising. My rule is if something has to be advertised in order to sell it, it's not worth having. In the old days, granted, it was useful to see something like a cheap holiday or a sale somewhere advertised, but generally it wasn't necessary. Now with the internet there is absolutely no reason at all for any product to be advertised in the TV, cinema, magazines etc. If I want something, I will do an internet search and make my own mind up about what is the  best product available. 

99.9% of advertising seems to be an attempt to create needs that weren't there before, and worse, to subtly push a PC/progressive agenda onto society. 

CAP has published guidance to help advertisers stick to the new rule by providing examples of scenarios likely to be problematic in ads. For example:

• An ad that depicts a man with his feet up and family members creating mess around a home while a woman is solely responsible for cleaning up the mess.
  • An ad that depicts a man or a woman failing to achieve a task specifically because of their gender e.g. a man’s inability to change nappies; a woman’s inability to park a car. 
  • Where an ad features a person with a physique that does not match an ideal stereotypically associated with their gender, the ad should not imply that their physique is a significant  reason for them not being successful, for example in their romantic or social lives.
  • An ad that seeks to emphasise the contrast between a boy’s stereotypical personality (e.g. daring) with a girl’s stereotypical personality (e.g. caring) needs to be handled with care. 
  • An ad aimed at new mums which suggests that looking attractive or keeping a home pristine is a priority over other factors such as their emotional wellbeing.
  • An ad that belittles a man for carrying out stereotypically ‘female’ roles or tasks. 

The rule and guidance does not intend to prevent ads from featuring:

• Glamorous, attractive, successful, aspirational or healthy people or lifestyles;
  • One gender only, including in ads for products developed for and aimed at one gender;
  • Gender stereotypes as a means to challenge their negative effects.

An ad that depicts a person who was unhappy with multiple aspects of their life, then implies that all their problems were solved by changing their body shape alone to conform to gender-stereotypical norms, without addressing other aspects of their life. This does not prevent responsible ads for weight loss products or services1 .

https://www.asa.org.uk/uploads/assets/uploaded/f39a881f-d8c9-4534-95f180d1bfe7b953.pdf

6 hours ago, Libspero said:

I also question how relevant it is..  do people still watch adverts any more?  I can’t remember the last time I saw one other than the controversial ones that occasionally get discussed on here. o.O

This. Does anyone care?
We either watch pirate stuff (no adverts) or recorded stuff (fast forward through them). Pihole on the network means no ads there either.

Just now, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

This. Does anyone care?
We either watch pirate stuff (no adverts) or recorded stuff (fast forward through them). Pihole on the network means no ads there either.

Amazon prime make you watch adverts. Netflix don't. :)

7 hours ago, eight said:

Well considering the woman is always white, and the man is black, I can only assume you are a massive RACIST!

3 hours ago, Rowley said:

Well considering the woman is always white, and the man is black, I can only assume you are a massive RACIST!

I mentioned this to my Dad once and now he can’t unsee it. I think the first time he realised was when there was a Domino’s advert. Now whenever he’s around the shops and sees a BMWF couple, he’ll go ‘cor I’d murder a domino’s right now’.

Definitely seems to be some push to make this trendy.