DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

12 String guitars

MrPin

I believe Mike Rutherford from Genesis used a 12 stringed guitar.

Or an I getting confused with a double neck guitar. O.o

Frank Hovis
2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Why stop at twelve strings...?

If we follow the example of modern razor blades - where more apparently means better - surely we can have a seventy-two string guitar...!

;)

XYY

Well not 72, but transpose that to 27:

2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

I love the sound of a 12 string, I just didn't fancy having to keep one in tune!

A good guitar stays in tune. Twiddling the tuners is not that hard if you have good ears.

3 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Why stop at twelve strings...?

If we follow the example of modern razor blades - where more apparently means better - surely we can have a seventy-two string guitar...!

;)

XYY

Not another "shaving paraphinalia" thread you absolute cunt. I just buy a two blade cheapy in bags of 12.

2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

I love the sound of a 12 string, I just didn't fancy having to keep one in tune!

Wimp! Huttle Leadbeter (Leadbelly) could do it.

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

:)

Bollocks to that Adge Cutler - I shave with an empty corned-beef tin...!

Not only do I get a decent shave, but also the bonus of the wearing the great smell of Fray Bentos all day instead of some poncy after-shave.

Drives the wenches fucking wild up here....!

;)

XYY

You know I'm a Swarfega and WD40 man. The loveliest thing I ever said to a lady, was you smell of Dexron ATF. She was a Ford girl, and we never got on.

• 4 months later...

Not sure how I missed this thread before. I have a Rickenbacker 330 12 string. It’s an absolute beast to tune and play but sounds gorgeous.

On 23/10/2019 at 19:34, TheBlueCat said:

Not sure how I missed this thread before. I have a Rickenbacker 330 12 string. It’s an absolute beast to tune and play but sounds gorgeous.

I bend to your wisdom. :/

4 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

I've never tried a twelve string guitar, but they do sound good in the right hands.

With regards to playing them, do you always play each pair of strings, or are there techniques were you sometimes play one of the pair but not the other...? Or mute one of them in some way..?

They are close together, so I would imagine if you can do it, it would take some skill...

XYY

There are probably some muso types out there who play individual strings but everyone I've ever seen play one plucks both simultaneously. Even if you could reliably hit individual strings I can't see any obvious way to mute the other so they'd vibrate in sympathy anyway. 

8 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Yes, what you say seems logical to me Bluey.

It was just something that occurred to me when I thought of what different playing methods might be possibly be used with 12 strings compared to a standard guitar.

XYY

It's the two strings sounding together that makes that lovely jangly tone.

I can't remember the tuning offhand but from memory half the string pairs are tuned the same and half at an ?octave apart.

I do love their sound but tuning them separates out the proper musicians from the amateurs; I used to struggle to keep my six string in tune.

Bus Stop Boxer
On 15/06/2019 at 16:41, MrPin said:

I fancy getting a 12 string acoustic for that "sound".

Have had various.

First one was a Marlin Acoustic.

Then a Ferrari Red Rickenbacker 360/12

Then a Takamine G series.

Then a Korean 12 string copy.

I've now got a Yamama CPX8 /12 Electroacoustic. Ive not actually laid eyes on it for about 18 months.

Bus Stop Boxer
3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I still haven't bought one.

I think if you get a good electro acoustic one it is more dual purpose as it loses less in the cross over from all out electric. Cos theyre so chimey and identifiable.

As soon as i bought the Yamaha which has a nice pick up system on it (and a reasonably sensible neck) i sold the Ricky copy i had, as they were doing the same job to a very large degree.

• 2 months later...
On 31/10/2019 at 16:53, Bus Stop Boxer said:

I think if you get a good electro acoustic one it is more dual purpose as it loses less in the cross over from all out electric. Cos theyre so chimey and identifiable.

As soon as i bought the Yamaha which has a nice pick up system on it (and a reasonably sensible neck) i sold the Ricky copy i had, as they were doing the same job to a very large degree.

I've ordered one now. It's a Crafter. It has pickups in it.

No, I have just ordered a new guitar. It has 12 strings. It's a Taylor, but not one of their poshest ones, as only Neil Young can afford those.

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

You'll need left-handed strings...

;)

XYY

I've ordered a pack. They have the little loops on the other end.

29 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

You'll need left-handed strings...

;)

XYY

I'm sure @JoeDavola will want to see it. I imagine it is not as posh as his Taylor, but is does seem well made, by Mexicans. I expected to find drugs in it.

Archived