• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
M S E Refugee

The Village People

The wife and I moved into a village on the Solway coast and we have been asked a couple of times if we have been accepted by the villagers not that we are bothered as we would rather keep ourselves to ourselves.

The thing is most of our fellow villagers aren't even from the county we were born in, so it is up to me and my wife whether or not we accept these nosey fucking interlopers.

18 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

The wife and I moved into a village on the Solway coast and we have been asked a couple of times if we have been accepted by the villagers not that we are bothered as we would rather keep ourselves to ourselves.

The thing is most of our fellow villagers aren't even from the county we were born in, so it is up to me and my wife whether or not we accept these nosey fucking interlopers.

they're not actually asking you, they are telling you that they haven't been accepted

53 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

You will always be a blow in and lower on the pecking order than the previous blow ins 👍

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Malthus said:

You will always be a blow in and lower on the pecking order than the previous blow ins 👍

I don't really care but I if find it odd that someone thinks I am an outsider despite having a local accent unlike the 'new' locals.

Edited by M S E Refugee

Just now, M S E Refugee said:

I don't really care but if find it odd that someone thinks I am an outsider despite having a local accent unlike the 'new' locals.

But you said you had just moved there. #confused. 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

I don't really care but I if find it odd that someone thinks I am an outsider despite having a local accent unlike the 'new' locals.

That's because no-one knows what the local accent sounds like any more.

[That's true around here -- all the 'locals' think the few actual locals are from much further west, whereas in fact that's just what the old East Wilts accent sounds like.  The people who think they're locals don't really have an accent]

Edited by dgul

Posted (edited)

I watched a documentary on some traditional James Heriot /Heartbeat type Dales village in the nineties. 

The filmmaker was talking to some local blowhard in the village shop, who’d been there since great great granddaddy lived on grass or something, and asking him what he thought about incomers. He said ‘well as long as they’ve been here a while and fit in they just become almost like on of us, like Derek here, who runs this Post Office, he’s an incomer.’

Filmaker then says to Derek ‘when did you move here?’.

’1953’ he replies with the look of weariness of a man who’s  spent nearly half a century serving the local bell ends at his Post Office.

Edited by SNACR

22 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I watched a documentary on some traditional James Heriot /Heartbeat type Dales village in the nineties. 

The filmmaker was talking to some local blowhard in the village shop, who’d been there since great great granddaddy lived on grass or something, and asking him what he thought about incomers. He said ‘well as long as they’ve been here a while and fit in they just become almost like on of us, like Derek here, who runs this Post Office, he’s an incomer.’

Filmaker then says to Derek ‘when did you move here?’.

’1953’ he replies with the look of weariness of a man who’s  spent nearly half a century serving the local bell ends at his Post Office.

:D

It makes me laugh when I see various 'Mags de Ponce' encouraging second home owners etc. to 'get involved with the local community and mingle with the townsfolk' as if they'd be immediately welcomed with open arms and a Morris dance. 

I did that and was treated like a complete cunt which is, of course, exactly what I was for even trying.