• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Frank Hovis

Why do we say that?

A thread for interesting derivations for words and phrases prompted by my just looking up "blighty".

"Blighty" is a British English slang term for Great Britain or often specifically England.[1][2][3] Though it was used throughout the 1800s in India to mean an English or British visitor, it was first used during the Boer War in the specific meaning of homeland for the English or British,[4][1] and it was not until World War I that use of the term became widespread.[4]

The word derives from the Urdu word vilāyatī (regional bilāyatī), meaning "foreign","[4] which more specifically came to be meaning "European", and "British; English" during the time of the British Raj.[5] The Urdu word is a loan of Persian velāyat, ultimately from Arabic wilāyah ولاية‎ "state, province".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blighty

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

But I don't say that!

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I do.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

"We".

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

It is all about me.

Now if these two aren't the Gold Blend couple for the new millennium - then I'm fucked if I know who is...!!!

;)

XYY

17 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Now if these two aren't the Gold Blend couple for the new millennium - then I'm fucked if I know who is...!!!

;)

XYY

Which ones the girl or arnt I allowed to ask that

15 hours ago, Captain Cavey said:

Was talking to a Russian who was learning English and he asked “when something is good, why do you say “it’s the dogs bollocks”?”

I was completely stumped . Good question.

I always thought it was down to the Meccano "Box Deluxe" being corrupted to "Dog's Bollocks" by a sort of crude Spoonerism - hence, something very special and desirable. 

16 hours ago, Captain Cavey said:

Was talking to a Russian who was learning English and he asked “when something is good, why do you say “it’s the dogs bollocks”?”

I think you'd have to ask a dog.

16 hours ago, Captain Cavey said:

Because dogs seem to enjoy licking their bollocks so much that it must be fantastic to do so. Plus that men are probably jealous of the flexibility.

4 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Woody Johnson.

I'm not at all surprised.

Like those immortal lines from "Diamonds are Forever"

Plenty O'Toole: Hi, I'm Plenty.
James Bond: But of course you are.
Plenty O'Toole: Plenty O'Toole.
James Bond: Named after your father perhaps?

33 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Because dogs seem to enjoy licking their bollocks so much that it must be fantastic to do so. Plus that men are probably jealous of the flexibility.

Most dogs these days have had them chopped off by the vet, I believe its called CGM.

57 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

Off the top of my head; I think tickety boo, mufti and doolally also have similar origins from that period and region.

Any others?

Other similar words from my dad:

* Dhobi - to clean

* Jildy or Jildy, jildy - hurry up

17 hours ago, Captain Cavey said:

It's probably nautical, most weird idioms are!