• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sam1994

EU funding disappearing / general moan

I've noticed that EU funding for business is starting to dry up in Blighty despite our agreed budgets.

Horizon 2020 is a business development program and one I've been interested in for some time (in particular SME instrument). With good funding (but not VC funding), I think I could really do well in the UK. There are no applicable programs for us, but we're told funding will be available until end of 2020 even if we leave EU with no deal.

Meanwhile, my competitors in Portugal, Slovenia and Germany have all received grants (min was 2m euro). One company completely spunked the money and have now gone bust. Further, a product we are launching has caused us to become audited by the EU and we need to submit privacy impact assessments. As we don't pass data to third parties and keep everything in the EU, we thought this would be trivial. I now see on public record that one of these Horizon funded cos are now developing similar technology (after our PIA application was published); and they will not need to submit one themselves.

Here's something that I can't quite grasp.

Currently, I'm registered for VAT in every EU member state. I have hit thresholds for every state and even have to pay social security contributions in countries like France. It's a nightmare. They say if we left with no deal we'll have tariffs etc. I am sure big ticket items would indeed attract them. But lower priced items..? You could do what the Chinese do: chuck a lower value on the CN22/23 (customs form) and rely on the destination country to appraise the item as per their responsibility. In theory, I should be paying Australian Sales Tax... 

I don't understand how the EU can expect to enforce some of these laws on countries and people outside of their territory. What rattled me was the fact that US websites started to refuse to serve pages to EU users because of GDPR. I'm now seeing more and more companies in the US charging EU VAT and asking for an EU VAT number to use the reverse charge mechanism. I even saw a South African company do this; and yet I've seen some UK companies move over to Singapore because of it's almost identical CT structure and territorial advantages.

I always pay the taxes I owe in the UK. I don't recognise Aussie GST or Connecticut state taxes. That's why these countries have customs and I don't want to be their tax collector. 

S

2 minutes ago, sam1994 ✌ said:

I think you might’ve accidentally posted one of your texts here. 

Not at all it was not meant has an insult it was meant has a thick fuckers opinion we are in for the ride of our life’s ala 1930s I hope I’m wrong time will tell but so long has I can buy beer and get some fucker to suck my cock I don’t realy care at the moment 

Just now, stokiescum said:

Not at all it was not meant has an insult it was meant has a thick fuckers opinion we are in for the ride of our life’s ala 1930s I hope I’m wrong time will tell but so long has I can buy beer and get some fucker to suck my cock I don’t realy care at the moment 

Was also a wind up and I was suggesting that this is what you’d text to one of your birds to tell them they’re in for a ride of their life.

Times are going to get interesting. I think part of that is also the fact that people expect things to remain relatively much the same. 

1 minute ago, sam1994 ✌ said:

Was also a wind up and I was suggesting that this is what you’d text to one of your birds to tell them they’re in for a ride of their life.

Times are going to get interesting. I think part of that is also the fact that people expect things to remain relatively much the same. 

I know I’m also haveing a play at myself and life ie a shoeshine moment 

On 19/06/2019 at 08:18, SpectrumFX said:

Horizon 2020 is a research programme not a business development programme.

Yes, but it's always been a 'research' program. We know what that means though. 

The sooner we are out the better. But while we're in, I'm going to try and pimp it. Even just to level the playing field. 

H2020 was always very difficult to get for a UK SME.  It seemed to be biased towards universities and major UK companies partnering with rest-of-EU SMEs (France seems to come up again and again in my world, but that's probably just coincidence). 

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

H2020 was always very difficult to get for a UK SME.  It seemed to be biased towards universities and major UK companies partnering with rest-of-EU SMEs (France seems to come up again and again in my world, but that's probably just coincidence). 

We just keep getting referred to 'opportunities' in the SE on gov.uk -- but there's faark all. 

The advice was indeed to partner with another technology company in the EU. They kept suggesting Slovenia and Estonia. 

I'll get there, just means it'll take longer. On the plus side, I'm more mindful of cash flow and don't expect handouts. Slow and steady should do the trick.. 

S

1 hour ago, sam1994 ✌ said:

We just keep getting referred to 'opportunities' in the SE on gov.uk -- but there's faark all. 

The advice was indeed to partner with another technology company in the EU. They kept suggesting Slovenia and Estonia. 

I'll get there, just means it'll take longer. On the plus side, I'm more mindful of cash flow and don't expect handouts. Slow and steady should do the trick.. 

S

Ironicly depece mode has come up

with it’s a competitor world has I read this lol

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Ironicly depece mode has come up

with it’s a competitor world has I read this lol

Every time the lodger’s Mum is here.

i just can’t get enough. I just can’t get enough. 

You’re getting hotter and it’s getting rough I just don’t want to do you up the duff. 

Edited by sam1994 ✌

Ironicly the lodgers mum wants binning off because she don’t take it up

The arse the new one does not either but both claim

they like a bit of girl on girl. I

migjt put them to the test 

28 minutes ago, sam1994 ✌ said:

Every time the lodger’s Mum is here.

i just can’t get enough. I just can’t get enough. 

You’re getting hotter and it’s getting rough I just don’t want to do you up the duff. 

You’ve put some effert into that 

59 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Ironicly the lodgers mum wants binning off because she don’t take it up

The arse the new one does not either but both claim

they like a bit of girl on girl. I

migjt put them to the test 

You’ve put some effert into that 

maybe they don't want to be anally incontinent when they're old, does the smell of shit turn you on ?

The LEADER programme.

Ive seen that operated reasonably close up.

A clique of subbed./public sector sector types get together and waste the money on their own pay/interest.

People always complain there will be no more free money from Europe for XYZ after Brexit.

Where do they think that money comes from,  and do they think it's a zero sum game?

Never understood this argument in any sense other than a human interest story for the tabloids to milk.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Libspero said:

People always complain there will be no more free money from Europe for XYZ after Brexit.

Where do they think that money comes from,  and do they think it's a zero sum game?

Never understood this argument in any sense other than a human interest story for the tabloids to milk.

remoaners are chickin lickin nutjobs believing every drop of project fear. There was a burd on QT on Thursday bleating that "all the EU staff will have to leave after Brexit". Erm, no, the UK can let whom it choses stay.

image.png.c99598e6633089219ee1cfd34bc91da8.png

Edited by Dave Bloke

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Libspero said:

It is far worse than that.  Sure, we give them a load of money and they give most of it back, but they choose what to spend the money on.   It is a bit like running your family finances by giving someone who hates you £500 a month and them giving you in return an annual family holiday to Brixton, a new 19" TV every quarter and 'free' use of the laundry down the road.  And any time you complain it is pointed out that you get about £500 worth of value every month.  And then you point out that you actually want to go to the Med on holiday, and that you've already got two 40" TVs and that you own a washer/dryer -- and they take you by the neck and shout that you're racist to even think like that, and by-the-way if you leave they'll tell all the other mugs that they 'help' that they're not allowed to buy anything from your son's market stall.  And then you start talking to other people a bit further away, who appear friendly but then your other son (the waster idiot) goes around and starts shouting and ranting down their street, calling the particularly wealthy one a racist.

Edited by dgul

Half of the EU spend is still on agri subs.

So, this grown up, important org is pissing half its budget away on a handful - and I mean handful - of hill-billies.

Even worse, a lot of the subs go to products that the UK could import much cheaper.

9 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Half of the EU spend is still on agri subs.

So, this grown up, important org is pissing half its budget away on a handful - and I mean handful - of hill-billies.

Even worse, a lot of the subs go to products that the UK could import much cheaper.

and some is going to build factories in Turkey in competition with EU factories

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/marriott-international-hotel-chain-set-to-be-fined-more-than-99million-for-breaches-of-data-a4185951.html?amp

Yep the Marriot corp were wrong.

Naughty.

Slapped wrist.

99 million slapped wrists?

Seems to be an unofficial way of trade fighting using GDPR to raise revenue, hurt others.

Was gonna say not my data..but it probably was.

Ok US play the same..we had BP.

Earlier this week BA?

Just a cash raising exercise by EU and associted parliments.

Where are all the individual claims if this was such a horror.

Not defending them in the least.

Proportionality though.

Just dont like fat statist fingers grubbing around.

And I know...profits go to other fat fingers too.

Lets be honest its just bullshitting to raid from a cash cow.

More to come.

Posted (edited)

The sooner we are out of the EU the better. Only wish our inept politicians weren't so intent to replicate everything. It is a real chance to simplify things.

Didn't Trump go with for each new regulation, three had to be removed?

EU is a racket.

Edited by Alonso Quijano

Posted (edited)

GDPR is a funny old beast.

You'd think the problem to be solved would be properly flagrant abuse of data, like using for direct marketing where the permission wasn't granted (or was obtained through slight-of-hand), or people losing medical records held on unencrypted memory sticks.  But no, I've not heard of anything like that, even though I'm sure it is happening.

But the ones who are being fined are the ones that have at least tried to have data security, but who have been attacked by advanced hacking techniques.  As far as I can tell they've just been the unlucky ones that have been targeted and have happened to have a flaw in their security that was pretty complex -- I'm sure it is just chance that it is these two and not two others.  It is a bit like an organisation being robbed because the thieves had skeleton keys for every lock in the world and had worked out the rota and schedules of every guard in the place so they could get in and out without being noticed -- and then being fined for not being clever enough.

I know that they're holding my data, but I actually think the problem here is that the international banking and commerce industries haven't been able to manage to get to grips with identity theft, with the result that the theft of a new numbers and hashes can cause mayhem.  

[I'm reminded of the hooha about shredding stuff in the 1990's (ish) -- I'm sure that was made up to protect the banks' inability to actually manage their data.  GDPR looks to be the same but holding internationals to ransom.]

[I do care about personal medical records (etc) going walkabout, say.  And companies 'losing' data that is then used for marketing.  That's what I want GDPR to be about, not this sort of malicious attack.  But, of course, they've not got the big sums of money to stealfine.]

Edited by dgul