• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Apart from buying shares directly is there ways around buying ETF's

Such as SILJ, SIL, GDX, GDXJ ... tried to buy £1200 worth of PPLT today via AJBell but twas not possible. 

44 minutes ago, Tdog said:

Apart from buying shares directly is there ways around buying ETF's

Such as SILJ, SIL, GDX, GDXJ ... tried to buy £1200 worth of PPLT today via AJBell but twas not possible. 

PPLT?  I don't see that listed on the LSE.  PHPT?

Got to have a KID to sell retail in the UK.  But even then some brokers sell and some don't.  Some ETFs with derivatives, etc need you to pass a suitability test.  Large professional status investors with the right account can trade without a KID.  Some other European exchanges may sell some not available in the UK given the UK has a strict interpretation of the EU directive.  But forex involved.  You can spread bet some ETFs or the underlyings direct but those are different games.  Also could try a similar investment trust or fund.  First step though is to get an accurate listing of what's available in the UK to look for substitutes, like at Justetf.com.

I just bought some ETFSPHYSIPLATINUM on Degiro (Euro-drnominated and listed on Euronext).

I believe Degiro has one fee-free ETF (from a list) transaction a month and low FX fees.  Downside: outside of tax-free wrappers. There is also small annual fee for each exchange traded on. The fee-free ETF list has physical gold, silver, platinum ETFs but no mining ones (as far as I can tell, the list on their site is not very helpful)

9 hours ago, Harley said:

PPLT?  I don't see that listed on the LSE.  PHPT?

Got to have a KID to sell retail in the UK.  But even then some brokers sell and some don't.  Some ETFs with derivatives, etc need you to pass a suitability test.  Large professional status investors with the right account can trade without a KID.  Some other European exchanges may sell some not available in the UK given the UK has a strict interpretation of the EU directive.  But forex involved.  You can spread bet some ETFs or the underlyings direct but those are different games.  Also could try a similar investment trust or fund.  First step though is to get an accurate listing of what's available in the UK to look for substitutes, like at Justetf.com.

This PPLT https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/pplt/

15 minutes ago, Harley said:

US listed.  Probably no KID.

So quite simply its a case of buying European versions if they exist .. or buying a handful of stocks from each.

Posted (edited)

If you’re just trying to get exposure to physical precious metals all the iShare Physical ETC’s can be bought and are listed on the LSE.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/i/ishares-physical-metals-physical-platin-etc

Link to the platinum one above but they also have similar gold, silver and palladium variants.

Edit: Both GDX and GDXJ can be bought with Hargreaves Lansdown.

Edited by Castlevania

10 hours ago, Castlevania said:

If you’re just trying to get exposure to physical precious metals all the iShare Physical ETC’s can be bought and are listed on the LSE.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/i/ishares-physical-metals-physical-platin-etc

Link to the platinum one above but they also have similar gold, silver and palladium variants.

Edit: Both GDX and GDXJ can be bought with Hargreaves Lansdown.

Thanks my SIPP/ISA's are with AJ Bell will look into moving them

Can SIL SILJ be bought with them?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Tdog said:

SIL and SILJ don’t have KID’s so no.

You might want to double check with HL that you can definitely buy GDX and GDXJ before transferring over your ISA/SIPP. I can’t see why not as they have the KID’s available to view on the HL website.

Edited by Castlevania

10 minutes ago, Tdog said:

GDX/GDXJ are on AJBell too in ISA/SIPP, GDX also has a GBP equiv GDGB. SIL isn't though.