• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Recall - chance for brexit party?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/21/petition-to-recall-convicted-tory-mp-chris-davies-succeeds

A recall petition was set up after Chris Davies, the MP for Brecon and Radnorshire, was convicted of submitting fake expenses documents. He was ousted from the House of Commons after 19% of registered voters in his constituency signed a petition to remove him.

Site here with stats
http://democraticdashboard.com/constituency/brecon-and-radnorshire

Copied from ot.

1 hour ago, PatronizingGit said:

Weird area. Strongly libdem in the past, but voted narrowly leave. Even in 2015 UKIP didnt really get much traction above deposit level. I reckon libdems will take it. Tory/Brexit split, labour/plaid/green in the distance, not much more than 10% each. Should be a nice little wake up call for Boris. 

Although IIRC, the libs/libdems were euroskeptic in the 80s, and still promising a ref when clegg was mp. 

1 hour ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

I'm guessing most of that 19% petition are protesting BREXIT because most people interviewed on local news are supportive of the MP,  if not his party.

Remain Plaid Cymru could split LibDem vote helping BREXIT Party.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-48720176

37 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Copied from ot.

So Jeremy Hunt has only known Davies to be decent and honest, Davies was convicted of falsifying two invoices. Falsifying means taking a document and physically and deliberately making changes and committing stealing by fraud. Not a well judged statement for a future PM, Hunt should have taken a stance about honour, integrity and ‘conduct in public office’ as a veiled swipe at bonking Boris.

If Davies had accidentally submitted an invoice of say £1000 for home furniture which was a personal invoice instead of the correct invoice foe say £50 for an office chair that would be fine but cheap fraud by an MP is a disgusting abuse and the constituents were right to get rid.

It takes a special kind of ‘idiot crook’ or more likely a ‘massive me me me I’m entitled idiot’ to falsify two invoices for £700 and throw away a ‘nice little earner’ … and reduce the government votes by yet another vote and also increase the opposition (Libdems probably) by one

4 minutes ago, satch said:

to falsify two invoices for £700 

So far as I understand this MP has claimed within his rights.

His 'crime' was falsely producing paperwork to split the bills. (?)

On 02/05/2019 at 10:06, Bedrag Justesen said:

Claimed £700 for two framed photographs of local scenery for his office.

He was entitled to do so.

Instead of submitting one original invoice for £700 which would have been OK, he reportedly submitted two invoices, one for £250, the other £450, to claim back £700.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Davies_(Conservative_politician)

I think that's why he still has support within his constituency.

6 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

So far as I understand this MP has claimed within his rights.

His 'crime' was falsely producing paperwork to split the bills. (?)

I think that's why he still has support within his constituency.

Yep, there but for the grace of God go I

Juggling money between public accounts to overcome bureaucracy.

Not so worried about his misdemeanor if we are all allowed to do it ;)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, satch said:

So Jeremy Hunt has only known Davies to be decent and honest, Davies was convicted of falsifying two invoices. Falsifying means taking a document and physically and deliberately making changes and committing stealing by fraud. Not a well judged statement for a future PM, Hunt should have taken a stance about honour, integrity and ‘conduct in public office’ as a veiled swipe at bonking Boris.

It doesn't matter to them. Hunt is the Remoaner's chess piece. The legacy media will go for Boris over the next 5 weeks like nothing we've ever seen before. If you thought the phoney outrage over his private life was bad, wait until you see what's about to unravel. Hunt is the Remoaner entryist and they feel that Boris must be stopped at all costs, to the point he'll likely have to withdraw - just like Loathsome did a few years ago over a throwaway comment. It's going to be delicious - albeit terrible for BoJo - but the Tories deserve every minute of it. If/when they instill Hunt, they're over forever. Bring it on!

Edited by spunko

How in fuck can you pay 750 for 2 framed photos? 

14 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

How in fuck can you pay 750 for 2 framed photos? 

Simply because you have disposable income, or in this case an expenses account, and like buying “stuff”!

I’ve heard over the years from acquaintances many times about what I consider extravagant purchases. Recent ones are a pair of curtains over £2k, new bathroom in a small three bed bungalow 30k and £1.2k for a painting purchased on a cruise.

I don’t have the spare money to spend on such items but even if I did I wouldn’t be parted with my money so easily!

I held the view (and still do) that MPs were encouraged to binge on expenses because their actual salaries are not that high considering their positions and responsibilities.

Look at what an average CEO earns..  them look two tiers of management below them..  that’s what MPs get paid.

IMHO it would be better to pay them double and have no recourse to expenses other than basic travel and hotel etc. 

Better compensation might encourage a higher quality of MP and not a bunch of total chancers like Abbott, Phillips and half the Labour front bench.

I realise this view will be unpopular with some.

2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

"My thoughts with him and his family today"

Because it's a sudden loss of a nice tidy income.
Was his wife employed by him too?

Don't be silly.

That was how they used to do it - it was so terribly open to potential abuse.

Now, if you're an MP, you employ another MP's spouse, kids, "best friend", whatever...

...and they in turn employ yours. 

Same with second home expenses. The old system of claiming for a second home's mortgage to be sold at a profit afterwards was seen as such obvious exercise in troughing at the public's expense that it had to be stopped.

So now, one MP buys a flat and rents it out to another MP, who claims the rent back on expenses and uses the money saved to buy a flat to rent out to another MP, who claims the rent back on expenses... you get the idea.

2 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I held the view (and still do) that MPs were encouraged to binge on expenses because their actual salaries are not that high considering their positions and responsibilities.

Look at what an average CEO earns..  them look two tiers of management below them..  that’s what MPs get paid.

IMHO it would be better to pay them double and have no recourse to expenses other than basic travel and hotel etc. 

Better compensation might encourage a higher quality of MP and not a bunch of total chancers like Abbott, Phillips and half the Labour front bench.

I realise this view will be unpopular with some.

Ultimately the best form of governance is an Absolute Monarchy. We'll give you everything you could ever want so there's no need for profiteering or corruption, your children are guaranteed the same and all you've got to do is not fuck us over so royalty we have to cut your head off. Brilliant. This democracy thing is a crock of shit.

2 hours ago, spunko said:

It doesn't matter to them. Hunt is the Remoaner's chess piece. The legacy media will go for Boris over the next 5 weeks like nothing we've ever seen before. If you thought the phoney outrage over his private life was bad, wait until you see what's about to unravel. Hunt is the Remoaner entryist and they feel that Boris must be stopped at all costs, to the point he'll likely have to withdraw - just like Loathsome did a few years ago over a throwaway comment. It's going to be delicious - albeit terrible for BoJo - but the Tories deserve every minute of it. If/when they instill Hunt, they're over forever. Bring it on!

SO BORIS WHEN DID YOU STOP BEATING YOUR GIRLFRIEND?

The neighbours said they heard the noises from the £1 million property that the Tory leadership frontrunner shares with partner Carrie Symonds.

They heard screams followed by sounds of banging and claimed that, at one point, Ms Symonds could be heard shouting 'get off me' and 'get out of my flat'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7168315/Police-called-flat-Boris-Johnson-shares-Carrie-Symonds.html

2 minutes ago, satch said:

SO BORIS WHEN DID YOU STOP BEATING YOUR GIRLFRIEND?

The neighbours said they heard the noises from the £1 million property that the Tory leadership frontrunner shares with partner Carrie Symonds.

They heard screams followed by sounds of banging and claimed that, at one point, Ms Symonds could be heard shouting 'get off me' and 'get out of my flat'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7168315/Police-called-flat-Boris-Johnson-shares-Carrie-Symonds.html

I thought they'd wait a day or so.... Christ

Posted (edited)

Its not just follow the money for reasoning.

Nope. Timing as well. As was predicted in DOSBODS (apols..forgot the thread) this afternoon pre story that Bozza would have five weeks of muck throwing.

The shit storm has arrived. Early.

Edited by The Grey Man
Spelling

2 hours ago, Libspero said:

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez is making that argument.

We hear it about teachers here.

Maybe it's more obvious here in Wales because often we live in towns and villages rather than big cities.

When everybody knows each other we see that even if teacher salaries were doubled we would still have the same teachers.

Welsh government is the same. They argue their workload justifies higher pay.

If they could earn more money they could do that job instead.

Posted (edited)

Apparently he voted for May's BRiNO WA so presumably not a big deal if the Libdems win.  Plus a small matter of principle regarding expenses and criminal convictions. 

Edited by Harley

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Welsh LibDems leader Jane Dodds discussing pact with Plaid Cymru.

Not keen apparently.

https://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/17722653.chris-davies-confirms-his-intention-to-contest-brecon-and-radnor-by-election/

"I sincerely apologise to all the people of Brecon and Radnorshire - and now it is absolutely right that they have their say about whether they would still support me to be their Member of Parliament in a by-election.". 

W*nk.  Why didn't he voluntarily stand down in the first place then?  No doubt CCHQ preferred he didn't and maybe him too.  But at least keep sturm and don't say such shite afterwards.

So put up with this shite and compromise on principles to hopefully improve the chances of a voted for Brexit against the undemocratic forces in the HoC.  Bit of a shite sandwich for the noble electorate.  Such is the dire state of politics today. 

Edited by Harley