• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

So will you pay to be a euro-man?

I agree that it may be an attempt to undermine the leave policy,   either way,  I don't have an issue if people want to pay for a European Passport after we leave.

For the young it may not be a bad idea if they want to keep their options open.  I presume the only thing it will buy you is the passport and right to move there and work.

I wouldn't bother personally,  but if it is a one-off small amount I might get it for the baby speros..  keep their options open.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

The EU would never be able to agree within itself on how it would work.

LOL, this is probably what will happen - they will spend 10 years arguing about how much it should be and what % of money goes to which countries.. Or maybe it'll push them into being the united states of europe sooner.

4 minutes ago, Oskar said:

My guess is the opt in will also entail becoming an EU taxpayer

If it's purely some residency thing then I might get it in case I decide I want to live on the Med for a few years.

If it comes with any strings as you suggest then I won't.

Presumably the offering of EU passports is actually because they think they are going to get the whole banking industry to up sticks.

There is a definite wiff of wanting their cake and eating it though.

"No negotiations on trade until the divorce deal is agreed"    except they want to immediately discuss "the rights of citizen from across the bloc who are resident in the UK" despite them always having maintained this was a trade matter "one of the three pillars".

Also,  after Merkel got laughed out of the US over agreeing a trade deal the other week,  they want to ban us from entering any free trade agreements with other countries before we leave, because, (and lets be honest)  it would be a major embarrassment for them if we achieve in a couple of years what they have failed to to in ????? many years.  

4 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Also,  after Merkel got laughed out of the US over agreeing a trade deal the other week,  they want to ban us from entering any free trade agreements with other countries before we leave, because, (and lets be honest)  it would be a major embarrassment for them if we achieve in a couple of years what they have failed to to in ????? many years.  

Not just agreeing free trade agreements, actually having material discussions as it would sour exit discussions apparently!

17 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Not just agreeing free trade agreements, actually having material discussions as it would sour exit discussions  weaken their negotiating position apparently!

More like..

Serious head on, Id guess theres some interest in getting an electronic passport/Id system in place.

Only way Schengen can be saved would be to have a Euro Id system.

Brits would be a good trial. Get them to fund the prototype.