• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The XYY Man

Songs you couldn't tell your schoolmates you liked...

Posted (edited)

Could I tell my punk-rocker/heavy metal mates back in 1978 that I liked this...?

Could I fuck...!

Simple enough premise - let's hear yours...

;)

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

Posted (edited)

Here is another one from my personal vault of shame.

An old work colleague was a minor pop impresario who organised weekends in a holiday camp  in Caistor (sad I know)  during the early 1990s where clapped out artists from the 1960s and 1970s performed . Brian Connolly of Sweet was one of his biggest nightmares They used to quite literally lock him up to keep him from the booze until he had performed. Unsurprisingly Connolly died young at 51 in 1997.

Edited by Virgil Caine

Posted (edited)

Oh Dear I seem to recall owning this 1970s hit too nestled away next to Anarchy In The UK in my singles collection. Actually I think these guys were a bit ahead of their time clothes wise as the gear has definite New Romantic look of the early 1980s. My money is on Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet sharing my secret liking for this group.

Edited by Virgil Caine

Posted (edited)

You can not get more uncool than the Swingle Singers but surprisingly  they made recordings with the Modern Jazz Quartet.

I still listen to this version of When I Am Laid In Earth which I think is  better than most classical recordings apart from  the brilliant version by Dame Janet Baker.

I think Purcell would have liked it.

Edited by Virgil Caine

Interesting to see SOS and Chiquitita by Abba mentioned here. My top two favourite songs of theirs.

I was at high school in the early half of the 1990s.A few of my classmates already knew but I didn't mind listening to the Carpenters. :$ My parents had the 'greatest hits' album on cassette. Karen's voice + some excellent musicians. It's only easy listening but I like it. 'Superstar' is an increadible song imo:

A bit more contemporary - I quite liked some of the europop one/two hit wonder stuff: