• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Can anyone see flaw in her idea?

6 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Aren't churches open 24/7 anyway? I think they used to be?

Welll before the pikeys came...

Unless the chrich is going to put secutory on the door to decide who comes in and who doesnt I dont think itll work.

Posted (edited)

I'm not quite sure what the purpose is..

A safe place?  What about their homes?

A sanctuary for people who know they might be the stabbed?  Possibly but no security and nothing to stop them being attacked on the way out.  Plus the association with the church will give the impression of of non-violence and thus easy target.

A "hang-out" for kids to find gods?  Unless the church is filled with games consoles and (h)ashtrays and the vicar doesn't mind picking up crisp packets and cokebottles..  then good luck with that.

Edited by Libspero

16 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I'm not quite sure what the purpose is..

A safe place?  What about their homes?

A sanctuary for people who know they might be the stabbed?  Possibly but no security and nothing to stop them being attacked on the way out.  Plus the association with the church will give the impression of of non-violence and thus easy target.

A "hang-out" for kids to find gods?  Unless the church is filled with games consoles and (h)ashtrays and the vicar doesn't mind picking up crisp packets and cokebottles..  then good luck with that.

Ah yes. a hang out for the darky youths.

Good luck filtering the stabbers from the stabbees.

And it came to pass that the Blessed Tony spake unto the unwashed masses:

"Behold, my bondservant Gordon hath made you all prosperous - for he has sworn that there will be boom and bust no more. However, henceforth, for you to enter into the riches of the kingdom thou shalt need two incomes to purchase unto yourselves a house."

"How then shall we look after our kids?" asked the puzzled masses. "For school endeth long before the allotted hours of our work are completed."

"Do not worry thy tiny minds over such trivia," declared the Blessed Tony, "for I have called into being a legion of after school clubs, which for a not unreasonable portion of your new-found prosperity, will entertain and supervise thy offspring until your labour is completed! Not only that - but behold the research which stateth that kids from posh homes who perform plentiful extra-curricular stuff do well at school, go to university and get well paid jobs. This shall be your inheritance too!" And it appeared to be so, until famine stalked the land.

There was weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth, "We cannot afford the usurious sums charged by after-school clubs," groaned the parents, "for our rents are too high and taxes too great for us to bear. Our children now wander the streets unsupervised, stabbing and being stabbed. Who can rescue us from this pickle?"

"Not us," said the state schools, "for our budgets are stretched as they are."

"Nor us," declared social services, "for this is now a third-sector responsibility."

Here endeth the lesson - for the state giveth, and the state taketh away - leaving a mess for others to pay the price, stand in the gap and sort out.

Church-based after school clubs could certainly help. Could be very popular if free. But there are huge costs involved; from providing insurance, training and DBS checking for staff, to providing heat, light and decent food - particularly in winter for the kids. Plus, you need resources and somewhere to store them. It will be interesting to see if the Synod turns round and says - nice idea in principle, but why should we subsidise a cynical government's ploy to make everyone dependent on the state when this half-arsed attempt at social engineering has so obviously failed?

Everyone on question time seems to think youth clubs and pcsos are the answer.

If churches or maybe church halls can be opened as supervised play areas then we can test that theory.

My thoughts: children need quiet cheap solo hobbies as part of a wider range of things they're interested in.

If you can not occupy yourself then you have a problem.

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Everyone on question time seems to think youth clubs and pcsos are the answer.

If churches or maybe church halls can be opened as supervised play areas then we can test that theory.

My thoughts: children need quiet cheap solo hobbies as part of a wider range of things they're interested in.

The problem seems to be to me, to do with piss poor parenting. That is all. Stop giving the useless, unemployable money to breed and the problem will largely right itself. 

12 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

I've always enjoyed playing with myself.

2 hours ago, unregistered_guest said:

And it came to pass that the Blessed Tony spake unto the unwashed masses:

"Behold, my bondservant Gordon hath made you all prosperous - for he has sworn that there will be boom and bust no more. However, henceforth, for you to enter into the riches of the kingdom thou shalt need two incomes to purchase unto yourselves a house."

"How then shall we look after our kids?" asked the puzzled masses. "For school endeth long before the allotted hours of our work are completed."

"Do not worry thy tiny minds over such trivia," declared the Blessed Tony, "for I have called into being a legion of after school clubs, which for a not unreasonable portion of your new-found prosperity, will entertain and supervise thy offspring until your labour is completed! Not only that - but behold the research which stateth that kids from posh homes who perform plentiful extra-curricular stuff do well at school, go to university and get well paid jobs. This shall be your inheritance too!" And it appeared to be so, until famine stalked the land.

There was weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth, "We cannot afford the usurious sums charged by after-school clubs," groaned the parents, "for our rents are too high and taxes too great for us to bear. Our children now wander the streets unsupervised, stabbing and being stabbed. Who can rescue us from this pickle?"

"Not us," said the state schools, "for our budgets are stretched as they are."

"Nor us," declared social services, "for this is now a third-sector responsibility."

Here endeth the lesson - for the state giveth, and the state taketh away - leaving a mess for others to pay the price, stand in the gap and sort out.

Church-based after school clubs could certainly help. Could be very popular if free. But there are huge costs involved; from providing insurance, training and DBS checking for staff, to providing heat, light and decent food - particularly in winter for the kids. Plus, you need resources and somewhere to store them. It will be interesting to see if the Synod turns round and says - nice idea in principle, but why should we subsidise a cynical government's ploy to make everyone dependent on the state when this half-arsed attempt at social engineering has so obviously failed?

Well, rather than having mam n dad look after kids, Labour created a massive state sector to look after. Except they cost a lot of money. And, because the state employed child minders are largely disinterested, there were loads of abuse/neglect scandals, so they had to employ a huge number of people to keep and eye on the people keeping an eye on kids.

So, rather than one parent staying at home look after kids til they were 11ihs, you have a large number of child minders. And large number of child minder minders.

And man n dad have to work as cost of housing and tax is so high. And the people doing child minding cost a fortune as housing is so high, so they have to be paid loads. And they need a suitable building ,with facilities for disabled, sothat costs a fortune, whilst the kids home is empty .... with mam n dad having to work hard to pay for all this state sector spend.

And then, as it UKGOV, theres the unfunded pension liability of ~30% of salary. And the extra cost as half the wimmin dont turn up to work - long term sick....

So rather than one parent looking after their kids in their own house, there are 1000s of child minder and vast pension liabilities to do the same thing.

Which, in short, is why the state should keep out of most activities. They are shit and expensive.

Or how about we allow the police to target the demographic groups behind knife crime? Does the black community have any ideas to stop knife crime? David Lammy bleats on about "stop and search" being racist but is silent when black people murder each other by the dozen.

image.png

16 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Or how about we allow the police to target the demographic groups behind knife crime? Does the black community have any ideas to stop knife crime? David Lammy bleats on about "stop and search" being racist but is silent when black people murder each other by the dozen.

image.png

Great 'BAME' representation there. Fantastic news for all the inclusion and diversity groups out there. Bravo. :Old:

2 hours ago, One percent said:

The problem seems to be to me, to do with piss poor parenting. That is all. Stop giving the useless, unemployable money to breed and the problem will largely right itself. 

You're not allowed to say that though. 

2 hours ago, One percent said:

The problem seems to be to me, to do with piss poor parenting. That is all. Stop giving the useless, unemployable money to breed and the problem will largely right itself. right to remain in the UK

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, spygirl said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48731034

Also file under academics being a bit thick.

Churches should provide safe havens for young people to avoid violence on the street, a south London priest has said.

Reverend Canon Dr Rosemarie Mallett called for churches to open their doors between 15:00 and 18:00 BST "to have a space where young people can come".

The Brixton-based priest said there was "more and more need for spaces in the community" at a time when there is "less and less wrap-around care".

The plan is to be debated at the Church of England's General Synod next month.

Churches are being demolished almost at a faster rate than new people coming into the country - to provide housing, car parks (along with more yellow lines) and other changes of use.  There's not enough "space in the community" being released for those uses never mind looking after the young people.  

There used to be youth clubs everywhere - now housing.

Edited by twocents

30 minutes ago, ccc said:

Great 'BAME' representation there. Fantastic news for all the inclusion and diversity groups out there. Bravo. :Old:

Perhaps whites arent as good at killing each other as blacks, but under the umbrella term "knife possession"

https://fullfact.org/crime/are-majority-youth-knife-offenders-minority-ethnic/

In England and Wales 38% of knife possession offenders under 25s were non-white in 2017. It was two thirds in London.

Which might sound a lot (and would have been 20 years ago, when only about a third of youths in London were not white) but today, only about 40% of youths in London are white, only 25% white British. 

5 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Most of the stuff I would have done as a kid has pretty much been legislated out of existence. 

Even radio controlled airplanes will require a licence from October.

So what does that leave:  Cycling, football, wild camping (probably technically illegal but still doable), home brewing, radio controlled cars, watching TV, playing video games, chatting to their mates.

Since the first few would require either commitment or permission from parents they are probably out for most kids.

So they are left with the latter few. Which is a bit sad.

59 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Most of the stuff I would have done as a kid has pretty much been legislated out of existence. 

Even radio controlled airplanes will require a licence from October.

So what does that leave:  Cycling, football, wild camping (probably technically illegal but still doable), home brewing, radio controlled cars, watching TV, playing video games, chatting to their mates.

Since the first few would require either commitment or permission from parents they are probably out for most kids.

So they are left with the latter few. Which is a bit sad.

Crafts: too many to mention. Many cheap as chips and end result can be sold at a profit. 

Drawing. Painting. Reading. Photography. Writing. Making clothes. Beekeeping (expensive). 

Drama. Music. Singing. Also available at a cost I imagine all over the country.

Computers ... So many things on these to do including programming, designing levels and objects for games. Internet browsing forums research. They effectively carry a mini computer around with them 

15 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Crafts: too many to mention. Many cheap as chips and end result can be sold at a profit. 

Drawing. Painting. Reading. Photography. Writing. Making clothes. Beekeeping (expensive). 

Drama. Music. Singing. Also available at a cost I imagine all over the country.

Computers ... So many things on these to do including programming, designing levels and objects for games. Internet browsing forums research. They effectively carry a mini computer around with them

I’m not sure how many of those would appeal to teenage boys (except possibly computer programming).

I note there’s not much on your list that involves getting any fresh air or exercise.. except maybe photography.

46 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I’m not sure how many of those would appeal to teenage boys (except possibly computer programming).

I note there’s not much on your list that involves getting any fresh air or exercise.. except maybe photography.

Gardening. Keeping spiders as pets etc. 

What does appeal to testosterone riddled young boys? I don't actually want to know.

But: cycling climbing bmxing boxing judo etc all use energy. 

I will give you cycling..  but to me the others fall under the category of “organised fun” and probably require money and/or adults to take them.   

I don’t have an answer btw.. I genuinely don’t think there is much kids can do, which is why so many of them default to computer games and online entertainment (the latter of which the government is trying to ban them from ;)).   Perhaps some will get the opportunity to do some of the things you list once a week in an organised fashion..  but I suspect most won’t.    Just seems a bit of a shame is all.