• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Who wants to live for eveeer....

Sang Freddy mercury who died, aged 45. (oh im older than him!)

Another one of the So-Called BBC pointless The Boss series, written by a a woman, like all BBC articles.

What do they concentrate on - debt, tax relief, issues with growth, skills, changes to structure, China??? All big issues in the world of business these days.

Bulletproof coffee: Would you add butter to your brew?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48692763

Looks older than 45. Just another chancer bullshitter. 20 years ago hed be claiming to only sleep 4h   / d

Posted (edited)

the So-Called BBC is 5+ years or so behind the times; Dave Aspey was on Rogan 5 years ago spouting all this stuff - IMHO Dave Aspey is a snake oil salesman, of the type that has been cropping up all over the internet over the last decade with their health tips that ironically seem to be believe because they're so absurd.

the So-Called BBC shouldn't be giving this quack any exposure - a reminder if it was needed not to pay your TV tax and fund this shit.

Edited by JoeDavola

11 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Another one of the So-Called BBC pointless The Boss series, written by a a woman, like all BBC articles.

What do they concentrate on - debt, tax relief, issues with growth, skills, changes to structure, China??? All big issues in the world of business these days.

Looks older than 45. Just another chancer bullshitter. 20 years ago hed be claiming to only sleep 4h   / d

Might be impressed if Asprey was 75. He has got a very worn and mature look about him for 45.

Just now, crashmonitor said:

Might be impressed if Asprey was 75. He has got a very worn and mature look about him for 45.

From the article...

Mr Asprey says he has now spent more than $1m (£800,000) on improving his body and brain function in such ways.

LOL - money well spent. I know a hard drinking skint womanizing 45 year old who looks younger than him...

Butter in coffee was very common up the 1950's in many countries.

Not only was it a tasty alternative to milk for those who could not refrigerate milk, but it was also a means of taking away some of the bitterness associated with coffee grounds and the process of making coffee prior to instant coffee or posh coffee machines.

So nothing new here. Ditto the now keto fad for this, for it is the keto fad that has awakened people to the importance of good fats in our diets. But if luvvies in the UK media have now cottoned on to this then it perhaps is a sign of the keto fad peaking.

I thought the "turbo coffee" thing of having a spoonful of coconut fat or butter in your coffee was so you could use it as a meal replacement to lose weight as Tom Watson (Labour deputy) did.

If I'm not up to much in a day then I try to restrict myself to two meals - not burning it, not earning it - and the turbo coffee sufficed if I was feeling hungry at lunchtime.

14 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

the So-Called BBC is 5+ years or so behind the times; Dave Aspey was on Rogan 5 years ago spouting all this stuff - IMHO Dave Aspey is a snake oil salesman, of the type that has been cropping up all over the internet over the last decade with their health tips that ironically seem to be believe because they're so absurd.

the So-Called BBC shouldn't be giving this quack any exposure - a reminder if it was needed not to pay your TV tax and fund this shit.

The guy is clearly a peddler of shit, I got as far as this term he used for whatever crap he adds to his glorified Nescafe:

"brain octane oil"

...when my bullshit-o-matic exploded.

6 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

These people are all marketers.

They want your money.

Take exercise, eat healthy 'real' foods, and you'll be fitter and healthier than the vast majority of folk. No secret sauce needed.

I agree no secret sauce needed but there is a lot of good dietary advice (and I'm sure that there is a thread for it!) that is actually worth knowing.

In simple terms: protein stops you feeling hungry for a lot longer than carbs, fat isn't bad for you, sugar is bad for you, moderate exercise is both better than no exercise and loads of exercise. The end.

I don't see the problem with this. Ten seconds into that video and it's obvious he's a snake oil peddler but frankly if people are dumb enough to buy it then they should not be protected from their own stupidity IMO. More power to him making money off of idiots. And is this really any different to those who buy Evian water? Arguably that's even worse as it's just water.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

In simple terms: protein stops you feeling hungry for a lot longer than carbs, fat isn't bad for you, sugar is bad for you, moderate exercise is both better than no exercise and loads of exercise. The end.

Aye - basically learn how to cook from fresh ingredients and you'll be grand.

It's processed food that will ruin you - case in point from last night, I made some bean chilli - and looked up the sainsbury's website to see if they had roti flatbread as I sometimes have that when I'm at the indian restaurant with my mates.

Harmless enough, right? Well actually, one roti has more calories, and more fat than half a chicken breast. And it will be a more unhealthy fat (palm/rapseed oil) than you'll get in an organic chicken breast too. And 4g of protein vs 20 odd grams in the chicken.

All in all, the chicken's a better use of your calories.

Edited by JoeDavola

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

I don't see the problem with this. Ten seconds into that video and it's obvious he's a snake oil peddler but frankly if people are dumb enough to buy it then they should not be protected from their own stupidity IMO. More power to him making money off of idiots. And is this really any different to those who buy Evian water? Arguably that's even worse as it's just water.

I confess to occasionally buying bottled water.

However that is purely when I wish to replace my existing plastic water bottle (or on holiday overseas).

The first thing that I do is to pour the water that has been absorbing chemcials from the plastic for months down the sink.  Then I wash the bottle.  Then I fill it with tap water.

3 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Aye - basically learn how to cook from fresh ingredients and you'll be grand.

It's processed food that will ruin you - case in point from last night, I made some bean chilli - and looked up the sainsbury's website to see if they had roti flatbread as I sometimes have that when I'm at the indian restaurant with my mates.

Harmless enough, right? Well actually, one roti has more calories, and more fat than half a chicken breast. And it will be a more unhealthy fat (palm/rapseed oil) than you'll get in an organic chicken breast too. And 4g of protein vs 20 odd grams in the chicken.

All in all, the chicken's a better use of your calories.

Palm oil is actually a very healthy fat as far as plant fats go.

6 hours ago, spygirl said:

So, off all the business stories he BBC jounro could pursue, she picks a bullshitter snake oil scammer

I think it's a very astute move myself.

This way, she gets to publish a follow-up article on "How I was taken in by a load of shallow hype" in a couple of months.

Kerching!

In a higher biolgical course I undertook, the aim of medics alligns with the laffer curve.

Its that as far as possible most folk drop off the coil with few long term chronic illness issues.

So you can get the high scores in age bit the aim is to minus the chronicity of illness.

How you get there? Partly through advice on threads like these.

Off memory Alzheimers has a ten perecnt increace ever decade above 80..I havent rechecked this so feel free to point out errors.

This issue with Alzheihmers is risk is an age factor. What this essentially means is that the multiple biochemical pathways

to the accumulation of Amyloid plaques are not fully described...Ultimately multiple illnesses labelled as Alzheimers.

We are not about to uncover all of these and the associated potential biochemical/neruotransmitter/receptor sites in the next 30 years.

What does all this mean.

Increasingly seeing out the years demented.

I would add...a big part are mixed dementias..mostly those with vascular factors.

Well described here.

Very very few get old without something.

Its the most fatal disease we know...life.

To go back to the top...get out quick..or slow.

The random cancer and trauma..welll..throw your dices.

On 24/06/2019 at 19:07, The Grey Man said:

In a higher biolgical course I undertook, the aim of medics alligns with the laffer curve.

Its that as far as possible most folk drop off the coil with few long term chronic illness issues.

So you can get the high scores in age bit the aim is to minus the chronicity of illness.

How you get there? Partly through advice on threads like these.

Off memory Alzheimers has a ten perecnt increace ever decade above 80..I havent rechecked this so feel free to point out errors.

This issue with Alzheihmers is risk is an age factor. What this essentially means is that the multiple biochemical pathways

to the accumulation of Amyloid plaques are not fully described...Ultimately multiple illnesses labelled as Alzheimers.

We are not about to uncover all of these and the associated potential biochemical/neruotransmitter/receptor sites in the next 30 years.

What does all this mean.

Increasingly seeing out the years demented.

I would add...a big part are mixed dementias..mostly those with vascular factors.

Well described here.

Very very few get old without something.

Its the most fatal disease we know...life.

To go back to the top...get out quick..or slow.

The random cancer and trauma..welll..throw your dices.

In the news in the last 24 hours,  salt a major cause of that plaque build up in your brain, just been covered on radio 4. A correlation between high blood pressure, high salt intake and alzheimers apparently. The medical guest ( on radio 4) said those that add salt at the table most at risk. Because although the salt cellar is a small part of daily consumption it is predictive of how your body is calibrated to salt. ie. you must be used to a high intake to want even more adding.

https://www.slashgear.com/high-salt-diets-can-trigger-major-brain-change-linked-to-dementia-23596927/

Edited by crashmonitor

1 hour ago, crashmonitor said:

In the news in the last 24 hours,  salt a major cause of that plaque build up in your brain, just been covered on radio 4. A correlation between high blood pressure, high salt intake and alzheimers apparently. The medical guest ( on radio 4) said those that add salt at the table most at risk. Because although the salt cellar is a small part of daily consumption it is predictive of how your body is calibrated to salt. ie. you must be used to a high intake to want even more adding.

https://www.slashgear.com/high-salt-diets-can-trigger-major-brain-change-linked-to-dementia-23596927/

Well something's got to get you.

My only direct personal observation from salt is that if I start running low then I get night cramps in my calves which are agonising.

A couple of meals with a lot of salt sprinkled and they immediately stop; before I discovered this the cramps would go on for weeks.

I'd say my diet is naturally very low in salt (not by design, it just is) hence my sometimes having this adverse effect from the lack of it.

On 24/06/2019 at 11:45, spygirl said:

I'd put him at mid 50s

19 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Well something's got to get you.

My only direct personal observation from salt is that if I start running low then I get night cramps in my calves which are agonising.

A couple of meals with a lot of salt sprinkled and they immediately stop; before I discovered this the cramps would go on for weeks.

I'd say my diet is naturally very low in salt (not by design, it just is) hence my sometimes having this adverse effect from the lack of it.

Personally I've gone back to putting salt on my food. I eat plenty of salted nuts too. 

Unless you have an actual medical problem with salt them fill yer boots. It'll do no harm to you but a lack of it will.