• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spunko

Millennial thrift and boomer avarice

https://www.resolutionfoundation.org/media/blog/life-as-a-millennial-is-far-less-extravagant-than-you-might-think/

Millennial spending isn't quite as out of kilter with the rest of the age groups as is widely believed. This confirms what I have always suspected - millennial avocado and skinny latte shopping sprees are made up by the DM. O.o

Beyond people’s overall spending power, we can also shine further light on how living standards are changing. Within their lower spending envelope, under 30s are still putting £8 more per week towards essentials like food and fuel than in 2002. But their spending on fun stuff like recreation (which includes streamed music and pets), cultural activities (like leisure classes and going to the cinema), restaurants, takeaways and hotels has fallen by £20 since the turn of the century. Millennials’ consumption crunch has moved their spending away from experiences, and towards necessities. This is a far cry from how young people today are normally portrayed.

Instead, the new culture vultures are those aged 65 and over, who are now spending an extra £42 a week on these fun goods and activities.

Slide5-1024x576.png

My small and unscientific experience would tally with those findings. 95% of my customer base are of the boomer generation and they all seem seriously well-off to me.

Compared to the younger lot who when asking for a quote, mostly tend to respond with 'shit, I can't afford that' - I'm not on the expensive side, by the way. 

Also the fact that 95% of my customers are boomers speaks volumes in itself.

1 minute ago, Sgt Hartman said:

My small and unscientific experience would tally with those findings. 95% of my customer base are of the boomer generation and they all seem seriously well-off to me.

Compared to the younger lot who when asking for a quote, mostly tend to respond with 'shit, I can't afford that' - I'm not on the expensive side, by the way. 

That generation were "lucky" with continued employment, in a time of reasonably high inflation.

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

you should expand into gravesite maintenance, that way you won't lose income when they croak

Cant spend what you dont have. And the under 30s have fuck all.

When  I walk about towns and peer in chain eateries and the  like, the well over 55 eating make up 75% of the diners.

Pubs are dead.

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Cant spend what you dont have. And the under 30s have fuck all.

When  I walk about towns and peer in chain eateries and the  like, the well over 55 eating make up 75% of the diners.

Pubs are dead.

Probably because they are done with working, and you should be at your desk.