• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

LED bulbs

I bought a LED bulb for my bedside light for £3.50. Being an engineer I find the reduction in energy use as staggering... The previous bulb was 40W and the LED bulb is 4W.... If I ran the 40W bulb for a week it would cost £1.14 in electricity. The LED one would cost 11 pence...

I reckon the new bulb will pay for itself in 6 months...

image.jpeg

Sometimes technology gets something right. These I think are good. The small compact flourescent tubes were not that good, and I bet you can't buy them now.

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Less so in winter, perhaps? The remaining £1.03 was heating your room.

Yes, and I have used a filament lamp as a heat source in a cold climate. The 60 watts or so (mainly heat) means the equipment will reboot again after a power off.

1 minute ago, SillyBilly said:

Yeah until it blows out after a week. Had quite a few of these LED bulbs (some quite expensive as well) advertising long lives...and then blows out.

Same here, although I assume it's only the cheap ones. I love the idea and have been waiting for these since I bought my first blue LED for £25 in the eighties (I think), but the implementation is often poor, resulting in flickering at mains frequency that's visible to some people (including me), which incandescents mask. And the colour temperature seems hard to get right.

I don't like the strobe flicker some of them give off, as my raving days at long over (is there a way to know which do and which don't before you buy?!) and some of them give off a high-pitch sound which can also be annoying. Apart from that, awesome.

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Same here, although I assume it's only the cheap ones. I love the idea and have been waiting for these since I bought my first blue LED for £25 in the eighties (I think), but the implementation is often poor, resulting in flickering at mains frequency that's visible to some people (including me), which incandescents mask. And the colour temperature seems hard to get right.

I remeber buying one from Farnell in the aerly 80s for around £5 - it was more cyan than blue though, and so dim it needed to be used in the dark.

LED lamps vary greatly in quality and the weak point is the controller and heatsinking - they don't have to flicker if the manufacturer paid an extra penny for smoothing capacitors.

1 minute ago, Kilham said:

paid an extra penny for smoothing capacitors

Good point. I should be able to retrofit those.

Just now, MrPin said:

I have a variety of paraffin lamps, just in case.

I have to. The tilleys are bloody temperamental though.

I like the butane to.

Advantage is they give off heat..disadvantage can be a bit smelly and Carbon Monoxide issue without ventillation.

4 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

I have to. The tilleys are bloody temperamental though.

I like the butane to.

Advantage is they give off heat..disadvantage can be a bit smelly and Carbon Monoxide issue without ventillation.

I don't have the pump up Tilleys any more. I think I left them in the old house. I have some Aladdins.

13 minutes ago, Alex said:

Less so in winter, perhaps? The remaining £1.03 was heating your room.

Fair point. However electricity is circa 17p per kWh and gas is circa 4p per kWh. So it makes a lot more sense to heat your house by gas....

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

Ah, but do you have a toc h lamp?  

Actually, as the man who introduced us all to the joys of the Toc H lamp, I have a confession to make.

It would seem those Toc H folk are behind a lot of those brown engineers that most of you don't like coming here...

;)

XYY

6 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I don't have the pump up Tilleys any more. I think I left them in the old house. I have some 

The pump.

The pump..fuck..the fuckers spurt everywhere and the soddin gitts on fire!

Just now, The Grey Man said:

The pump.

The pump..fuck..the fuckers spurt everywhere and the soddin gitts on fire!

You have to warm them up with that methanol collar, and then they burn OK. Obviously they are preferred for "outdoor" use.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

We appear to have a very short collective memory 

Goldfish!:/