• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Frank Hovis

Mass Civil Disobedience - over-75s TV licence

I too would refuse to pay my free TV license at a similar age, but then I would probably be in Lidl wearing a crash helmet and a dressing gown and talking about the war.

It's a difficult one from the point of view of someone like me who doesn't pay the Telly Tax out of choice. I'm not sure I support this "protest", they should just stop paying it and keep quiet.

On the one hand if the So-Called BBC renege , then all these OAPs will be looped back into loving the So-Called BBC and believing its bias.

On the other if the protest spreads then the So-Called BBC will just lobby the government to add it to council tax.

The only hope is if a government with any balls removes the criminal offence element.

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Thing is, the vast majority of them will be dead within 10 years. So, relatively little power 

I'd say vast amounts of power.  They pretty much always vote and the reach extends to anybody who is already a pensioner, say over 60, as they know that they will also be affected by this creeping means-testing.

That age group is steadily expanded relative to other age groups and, god willing, we will all get there one day.

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

It's a difficult one from the point of view of someone like me who doesn't pay the Telly Tax out of choice. I'm not sure I support this "protest", they should just stop paying it and keep quiet.

On the one hand if the So-Called BBC renege , then all these OAPs will be looped back into loving the So-Called BBC and believing its bias.

On the other if the protest spreads then the So-Called BBC will just lobby the government to add it to council tax.

The only hope is if a government with any balls removes the criminal offence element.

I hope that the So-Called BBC plays it badly and gets a financial kicking for it because kicking teh BBC wil strat to be a vote winner.

Take them down to one channel, world service, local radio, and no internet presence other than the very basic scheduling and then I might tolerate them.

20 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I know that we have similar BBC threads but this looks like something new - a whole generation waking up to the way that means testing is impoverishing people who have worked and enriching those who haven't.

The over 75s have a vast latent power in this country owing to their voting numbers and their very vulnerability giving them near-immunity from heavy hamded policing and custodial sentences.

If there becomes real traction to this protest - a mass refusal to pay - then the So-Called BBC will have no choice but to back down.  They are not going to drag hundreds of thousands of over 75s through the courts because they will become genuinely hated by the population and the government will have little choice but to strip the So-Called BBC of its official status.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/overwhelming-85-senior-citizens-revolt-17263055

As one said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/sweary-gran-says-wont-pay-17261133

There was an example on the radio yesterday, though I don't have a link, of NHS Cornwall now means-testing transport for elderly wheelchair users going to non-urgent medical appointments.

The means-testing comprises whether you are on pension credit; if you aren't then you are paying for your transport and that means £160 a pop.

If you have worked for 35 years so you have a full state pension - coincidentally £160 per week - even if you have no other income or savings then you are paying that £160 yourself.  So no food or heating that week.

However if you have not worked or only worked a few years - freebies all round.

For anybody who hasn't read about pension credit on other threads - it brings you up to the state pension level if you have no other income.  So they have as much coming in as anybody whose only penson is the state one.  And then get all the freebies on top so will be a lot better off.

Why work?

Something is rotten in the state of Britain.

Its Brown.

And everything will be for the next 20 years, as his idiocy is worked thru the system.

Its good to see Bozza and Cunty pitching immigration. Thats  why Brexit happened, Browns stupid benefit system.

Immigration reform is two steps:

1) Removal of access to all benefits from migrants inc. schooling n NHS.

2) Skills/earnings hurdle.

Fix that and youll fix housing and healthcare and public sector budgets.

18 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I know that we have similar BBC threads but this looks like something new - a whole generation waking up to the way that means testing is impoverishing people who have worked and enriching those who haven't.

There was an example on the radio yesterday, though I don't have a link, of NHS Cornwall now means-testing transport for elderly wheelchair users going to non-urgent medical appointments. The means-testing comprises whether you are on pension credit; if you aren't then you are paying for your transport and that means £160 a pop.

However if you have not worked or only worked a few years - freebies all round.

Why work? Something is rotten in the state of Britain.

It's not just the retired generations who are waking up to the creeping means-testing, conversations with very well paid full time professionals often flag up cold callers offering various help (new boiler, cavity wall, loft insulation, etc) - with the comment "If you're on benefits it will cost you nothing." Cue lots of resentment when the homeowner askes "I work fulltime and always have done - why do I have to pay when professional benefit caimants don't ?"

Re : means testing by checking if you receive benefits. There have been several threads on here of folk living below the benefit threshold who for various reasons ( it's too complicated / difficult / frustrating ) don't claim benefits they are entitled to. A knock-on effect of not claiming the benefits is you then fail the "Are you on benefits" means-test. 

19 minutes ago, Andersen said:

It's not just the retired generations who are waking up to the creeping means-testing, conversations with very well paid full time professionals often flag up cold callers offering various help (new boiler, cavity wall, loft insulation, etc) - with the comment "If you're on benefits it will cost you nothing." Cue lots of resentment when the homeowner askes "I work fulltime and always have done - why do I have to pay when professional benefit caimants don't ?"

Re : means testing by checking if you receive benefits. There have been several threads on here of folk living below the benefit threshold who for various reasons ( it's too complicated / difficult / frustrating ) don't claim benefits they are entitled to. A knock-on effect of not claiming the benefits is you then fail the "Are you on benefits" means-test. 

Certainly being on pension credit is becoming the new path to riches.

Posted (edited)

Wonder if Boris will raise this issue in his campaign and speak about scrapping it once and for all.

Got to be a vote winner.

Hunt won't as they're backing him.

Edited by Tdog

35 minutes ago, Andersen said:

it's happenning all over, we notice it everytime the school ask for "voluntary" money, school trips where we pay, children quailfying for free school meals go free. Next year my eldest son goes to secondary school, they want all the children to have an iPAD for teaching, I think it's a good idea, but it's another £100 per year, £200 when youngest goes too, but again it's a free ipad to children qualifying for free school meals.

6 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

BBC is fantastic value at less than 50p per day. :)

I actually agree for those who want to watch its content then three TV channels of fairly varied content for 50p a day looks very good value when compared to Sky packages.

However whether you wish to subscribe shouldd be a choice as it is for Sky and not a compulsory requirement in order to have a TV.

I am sure that a lot of people would at present voluntarily pay £154 a year to subscribe to the So-Called BBC* so that is the way that they should go and then cut their cloth according to their income.

At that point I would have no complaint about them as I would no longer be interested; I wouldn't subscribe.

* though they are about to drastically reduce that number per my OP

1 minute ago, snaga said:

it's happenning all over, we notice it everytime the school ask for "voluntary" money, school trips where we pay, children quailfying for free school meals go free. Next year my eldest son goes to secondary school, they want all the children to have an iPAD for teaching, I think it's a good idea, but it's another £100 per year, £200 when youngest goes too, but again it's a free ipad to children qualifying for free school meals.

There is money to provide every pupil and teaching staff member with a tablet.

The problem is teachers, head teachers, and administrative staff now cost too much. Especially when their pensions are taken into account.

Never mind i-Pads, around here schools have no money for pencils.

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I am sure that a lot of people would at present voluntarily pay £154 a year to subscribe to BBC* so that is the way that they should go and then cut their cloth according to their income.

Clearly that's ridiculous.

1 minute ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

There is money to provide every pupil and teaching staff member with a tablet.

The problem is teachers, head teachers, and administrative staff now cost too much. Especially when their pensions are taken into account.

Never mind i-Pads, around here schools have no money for pencils.

In my kids class of about 20 there are 2 disabled kids who each have their own assistant with them each day.

One of them is just so far gone, he can barely walk and cant talk. I  understand parents want whats best for their kid and i'd want such levels of support if i had a child with such needs but what was wrong with sending them to special school for disabled like they used to. Surely one adult per child is unaffordable.

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I actually agree for those who want to watch its content then three TV channels of fairly varied content for 50p a day looks very good value when compared to Sky packages.

However whether you wish to subscribe shouldd be a choice as it is for Sky and not a compulsory requirement in order to have a TV.

I am sure that a lot of people would at present voluntarily pay £154 a year to subscribe to the So-Called BBC* so that is the way that they should go and then cut their cloth according to their income.

At that point I would have no complaint about them as I would no longer be interested; I wouldn't subscribe.

* though they are about to drastically reduce that number per my OP

Like I always say, encrypt the signal. Their current model is exactly analogous to me playing a trombone in the street and then pursuing through the courts anybody who hears me. 

12 minutes ago, snaga said:

Yeah.

Even the thickest teacher at mrspys school has clicked.

Everyday they see the same feckless fuckers roll up and arse around outside waiting for their kids.

Then have to communicate that little JayDen is OK/goes for free as hes on pupil entitlement as the parent does not work.

Of course, all these kids are the worse behaved in school - youd think, with all the time the parent has, not working, theyd be the best behaved, smartest kids. Nope. They are all dysfunctional fucks.

Them. to add to this. theres the ~20% of EEers inc a Roma who sells Big Issues at the school gate - if she can be arsed to turn up to collect their kids.

I pointed out it  so nice that the teachers, like other people working ,are having to pay for all this.

The TCs parents takehome 2x the teachers salary.

I'd say that it's especially important for retired folk, be it 55 year old retired folk or 85 year old retired folk to not pay the TV licence and stop watching TV.

Why? Because you've finally got your time to yourself, and most of the stuff on TV is a mind-knumbingly awful waste of time, but it's the path of least resistance vs actually doing/learning something new.

Read a book, take up a hobby, exercise, watch a YouTube documentary on some esoteric little interest of yours - don't waste your few years left on watching 'Escape to the Country'.

I don't consider myself an intellectual by any means or even especially intelligent but when I was home over Christmas last year and actually conversing with my family over an extended period of time there was a few times when my brother piped up "how do you know so much stuff?"....and I think it's probably partly because I spend lots of time alone, but it's also when I do spend that time alone I'm generally reading up or watching content that directly interests me, which leads me to find other things that interest me...

...which you don't get by watching an EA show a bunch of people round houses in the country.

Turn off the idiot box, retirees!

4 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

...which you don't get by watching an EA show a bunch of people round houses in the country.

Turn off the idiot box, retirees!

...or watch Channel 4 instead.

All the presenters on A Place In The Sun have really nice tits.

Except Ben Hillman, he's a bloke. :)

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

...or watch Channel 4 instead.

All the presenters on A Place In The Sun have really nice tits.

Except Ben Hillman, he's a bloke. :)

It's OK, there's tits on the internet too ;)

Pictures of tits, videos of tits, VR 3D videos of tits....all the titties a man could ask for!

Edited by JoeDavola