• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
stokiescum

Guitars but not for playing

I’ve always fancied buying an acoustic for prating about on I can’t play a note by the way and because I think they make an attractive ornament for a lads pad so do guitars of certain makes hold there value I’ve always been biast towards Gibson flyings vs has I think they sum up the 80s but they are probably stupid prices now

6 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I’ve always fancied buying an acoustic for prating about on I can’t play a note by the way and because I think they make an attractive ornament for a lads pad so do guitars of certain makes hold there value I’ve always been biast towards Gibson flyings vs has I think they sum up the 80s but they are probably stupid prices now

Gibsons are overpriced and a bit hit and miss with quality. I'd get a secondhand copy, especially if you're not going to play it.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

Gibsons are overpriced and a bit hit and miss with quality. I'd get a secondhand copy, especially if you're not going to play it.

True I notice some very nice designs out there and your avarage person me included will notice no difference looks wize I don’t mind paying out if it’s old and looses nothing of value however buying something that’s a copy will probably half in value instantly if u get my drift my bad you said used sorry yes your probably correct

Edited by stokiescum

21 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

If you did fancy playing, look into the computer game rocksmith. Great way to learn... like guitar hero but you plug in your own guitar. 

7 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

True I notice some very nice designs out there and your avarage person me included will notice no difference looks wize I don’t mind paying out if it’s old and looses nothing of value however buying something that’s a copy will probably half in value instantly if u get my drift my bad you said used sorry yes your probably correct

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stagg-Flying-V-copy-electric-guitar-in-metallic-blue/303198027632

s-l400.jpg.153304992e04645b19b41fd5caa1927b.jpg

Pick up from Brighton, but only £59. You can't lose much cash on that sort of thing.

19 minutes ago, UnconventionalWisdom said:

If you did fancy playing, look into the computer game rocksmith. Great way to learn... like guitar hero but you plug in your own guitar. 

I’m a bit to

old to learn

except for pissing about on it lol

Posted (edited)

If you want a flying v type check out stuff by Dean. They will hold their price as long as you dont overpay.

Dont bother stumping up for a gibson of yopure not a player. Gibson are not viewed in such glowing terms these days, and wont automatically command good resale.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xdean+dimebag.TRS0&_nkw=dean+dimebag&_sacat=0

Edited by Bus Stop Boxer

You can't sit down with a "flying V". They sort of slip away.

41 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

My "Gibson" is actually made by Ibanez.

52 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

If you want an acoustic, and buy a Flying V, don't forget to hollow it out.

38 minutes ago, UnconventionalWisdom said:

I bought this but never got round to using it, maybe I'll give it a whirl this weekend.

Also can I just say getting a guitar for decorative purposes is worse than getting some ornamental twigs. Learn to play it at least.........

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

If you want an electric guitar I'd say Epiphone. They're like cheaper versions of Les Pauls. Only thing mine hasn't got is a whammy bar unfortunately.

Whammy bar? Has it got slimline salad dressing?

6 minutes ago, spunko said:

If you want an electric guitar I'd say Epiphone. They're like cheaper versions of Les Pauls. Only thing mine hasn't got is a whammy bar unfortunately.

Er, neither does a Gibson Les Paul.

Just now, Mirror Mirror said:

Er, neither does a Gibson Les Paul.

I know, but the point being I'd have got a different one with a whammy bar if I were buying now. With the benefit of hindsight etc.

1 minute ago, spunko said:

I know, but the point being I'd have got a different one with a whammy bar if I were buying now. With the benefit of hindsight etc.

I've gone the other way, as it were. I found trems make me play like a wanker. I set mine up to only go down to stop it going out of tune when bending strings. I now prefer fixed bridges, especially wrap around bridges.

Who is the best DOSBODS guitar player I wonder. There seem to be quite a few seasoned players on here. I have only been playing (badly) for 6 months and with big gaps in between.

My goal is to play the outro solo by Slash in GnR - November Rain. Realistically I'll never get there.

5 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

I've gone the other way, as it were. I found trems make me play like a wanker. I set mine up to only go down to stop it going out of tune when bending strings. I now prefer fixed bridges, especially wrap around bridges.

Same here. All the guitars I have which left the factory with trems have had the bar removed and the bridge converter to hard tail.

Maybe one day when I’m a rock star playing in a metal band, I’ll put them back 😂

14 minutes ago, spunko said:

Who is the best DOSBODS guitar player I wonder. There seem to be quite a few seasoned players on here. I have only been playing (badly) for 6 months and with big gaps in between.

My goal is to play the outro solo by Slash in GnR - November Rain. Realistically I'll never get there.

That sounds a challenge!

My problem is I can never be arsed to learn a whole solo.

12 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

3 minutes ago, Mirror Mirror said:

Same here. All the guitars I have which left the factory with trems have had the bar removed and the bridge converter to hard tail.

Maybe one day when I’m a rock star playing in a metal band, I’ll put them back 😂

Yep, I had a Strat copy and took the bar off.

Unless you are a superb player looking to put in a bit of extra variation it just gets in the way.  You can do double string bends and releases like Dave Gilmour to get a similar effect.

I taught myself this to sound just like the record; of which I was very pleased.  Though it's far easier than the Slash solo above and it doesn't require the same "touch" which I found very difficult and I think requires thousands of hours of playing to get right.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yep, I had a Strat copy and took the bar off.

Unless you are a superb player looking to put in a bit of extra variation it just gets in the way.  You can do double string bends and releases like Dave Gilmour to get a similar effect.

I taught myself this to sound just like the record; of which I was very pleased.  Though it's far easier than the Slash solo above and it doesn't require the same "touch" which I found very difficult and I think requires thousands of hours of playing to get right.

Do you play the extra note in the second bar? He only plays it once in the whole song.

If you want a guitar but don't want to 'learn' then at the very least get one and tune it to an 'easy' tuning.

I like 'double drop d', DADGBd* (from the low note to the high note).  In this you can play barre chords (one finger across all strings at the same fret) which sound great.  An example of DADGBd is (I think):

[The other interesting thing about DADGBd is that if you learn a few basic strum patterns in an 'easy song' you can pick up a 5 string banjo and play it and look like you've got some sort of talent]

The other two common 'easy' tuning are: 

'open-g', or DGDGBd -- this has similar 'just play barre chords' benefits (and similar 'play banjo yipee!' fantasticness).  I like to call this one 'play like the rolling stones' (Keith Richards plays open-g rather a lot).

The best (most impressive) way to play DADGBd and DGDGBd without actually learning is to get yourself a slide -- a metal or glass tube that you stick over your finger -- to play the barre chords.  I've no doubt that (ignorant) people will think you're actually able to play.

DADGAd -- Another arrangement that's easy to play, with a bluegrassy sound -- if you get yourself a capo and shove it on third (to the uninitiated, the use of a capo is a sure sign you can play properly) you can strum out this sort of thing easily enough:

(well, that might take a bit of practice, but you get the idea).

[* I suppose I should say EADGBe is the standard tuning.  This allows quite a nice range of sounds, but has the disadvantage that you have to actually move the left hand properly in order to get chords that sound okay.  By retuning the e strings to d you get the ability to get nice sounds with only barre chords.]

[I'm not a fan of pretty guitars. All mine are desperately bashed, which I think is a sign of actually being able to use them (well, apart from my Mockingbird, which is a sign of actually not playing it).]

7 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

Do you play the extra note in the second bar? He only plays it once in the whole song.

Wha?  When I say "could" this was twenty years ago!

Though I did get my guitar out the other day to show somebody who confirmed the scale length / octave was spot on; these tabbed solo instruction videos are just my way of working as however hard I tried I didn't get music theory so I might start picking it again.

9 minutes ago, dgul said:

If you want a guitar but don't want to 'learn' then at the very least get one and tune it to an 'easy' tuning.

I like 'double drop d', DADGBd* (from the low note to the high note).  In this you can play barre chords (one finger across all strings at the same fret) which sound great.  An example of DADGBd is (I think):

[The other interesting thing about DADGBd is that if you learn a few basic strum patterns in an 'easy song' you can pick up a 5 string banjo and play it and look like you've got some sort of talent]

The other two common 'easy' tuning are: 

'open-g', or DGDGBd -- this has similar 'just play barre chords' benefits (and similar 'play banjo yipee!' fantasticness).  I like to call this one 'play like the rolling stones' (Keith Richards plays open-g rather a lot).

The best (most impressive) way to play DADGBd and DGDGBd without actually learning is to get yourself a slide -- a metal or glass tube that you stick over your finger -- to play the barre chords.  I've no doubt that (ignorant) people will think you're actually able to play.

DADGAd -- Another arrangement that's easy to play, with a bluegrassy sound -- if you get yourself a capo and shove it on third (to the uninitiated, the use of a capo is a sure sign you can play properly) you can strum out this sort of thing easily enough:

(well, that might take a bit of practice, but you get the idea).

[* I suppose I should say EADGBe is the standard tuning.  This allows quite a nice range of sounds, but has the disadvantage that you have to actually move the left hand properly in order to get chords that sound okay.  By retuning the e strings to d you get the ability to get nice sounds with only barre chords.]

[I'm not a fan of pretty guitars. All mine are desperately bashed, which I think is a sign of actually being able to use them (well, apart from my Mockingbird, which is a sign of actually not playing it).]

Wtf