• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Wight Flight

Adblockers

It seems like the use of adblocker is growing. But not for a good reason. As far as I can tell, Google have built it in to the current version of Chrome to make sure nobody can sell ads other than them.

Now this wouldn't worry me but I use bannersnack to create some of the content for my sites - pop up price grids, testimonial banners, all sorts of useful stuff.

But they don't show up anymore. If you have adblocker turned on half my website disappears.

Bit of a PITA.

Not sure of the point of this post but it is going to cause me a headache and is another example of Google trying to take out the little man.

If any it dosbods genius wants to write a shoppify app that gives some kind 'please disable adblocker to access this site' then I think you may be ahead of a problem that is going to affect a lot of small businesses.

It is one of those things where the industry has destroyed itself.

In general people don't/didn't mind ads on webpages.  But then came pop-ups, late-renders (where the ad appears just where there's a link you'd want to click just before you click it) and massive page-sized ads.  So people thought 'what a pain -- I'll block it'.  But if you've gone to the effort to block the 'worst' ads you might as well dial up blocking of the mildly annoying ads.  Hence the industry becomes damaged.  This Google thing is just the icing on the cake.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

It is one of those things where the industry has destroyed itself.

In general people don't/didn't mind ads on webpages.  But then came pop-ups, late-renders (where the ad appears just where there's a link you'd want to click just before you click it) and massive page-sized ads.  So people thought 'what a pain -- I'll block it'.  But if you've gone to the effort to block the 'worst' ads you might as well dial up blocking of the mildly annoying ads.  Hence the industry becomes damaged.  This Google thing is just the icing on the cake.

Not sure they actually had a choice. I didn't install adblocker but all of a sudden, after some random update, I have it on my laptop.

Took me a while to work out what my website didn't work on a computer it always used to work on.

I am completely ad free. I occasionally get the "we have detected your ad blocker" thing. If they really mean it then I just press Back and go to the next search entry. I really hate ads. Was amazed to visit a friend who pays about 80 quid a month for Sky. I assumed that bought you out of adverts but no they are still there! 

Just now, spunko said:

Solution: disable adblock plus, get uBlock Origin. 

That may be a solution for me but doesn't help my clients.

I might need to totally rethink how the websites work and learn some new skills.

Thanks Google

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

I didn't install adblocker but all of a sudden, after some random update, I have it on my laptop.

That doesn't sound right.

Random update to what? Or, maybe someone else installed it on your machine?

It seems like the use of adblocker is growing. But not for a good reason. As far as I can tell, Google have built it in to the current version of Chrome to make sure nobody can sell ads other than them.

Now this wouldn't worry me but I use bannersnack to create some of the content for my sites - pop up price grids, testimonial banners, all sorts of useful stuff.

But they don't show up anymore. If you have adblocker turned on half my website disappears.

Bit of a PITA.

Not sure of the point of this post but it is going to cause me a headache and is another example of Google trying to take out the little man.

If any it dosbods genius wants to write a shoppify app that gives some kind 'please disable adblocker to access this site' then I think you may be ahead of a problem that is going to affect a lot of small businesses.

The Chrome browser on my phone has become unuseable on sites like the Daily Mail. The photos often simply do not download. I assume that this is because the photos have so much tracking info embedded into the placesets or even the images themselves - ad stuff that the DM puts there and which Google does not want competing with them.

If I visit the same pages on the DM site using the Brave browser all the images load in seconds.

I think if the threat of Google threatens your lively hood, you could hedge it buy buying some Google Shares.

It's like if you work for Tesco, and worried about your job, you should buy Lidl/Aldi shares, if you could do so.

Just now, spunko said:

Tell your clients to update their filters. It's automatic but can take some time

How does that work when I don't know them yet? I spend £20k on Google advertising sending people to the websites, and then, because of Google, they won't buy because Google is blocking the functionality.

I am a little bit peeved.

3 minutes ago, leggers said:

That doesn't sound right.

Random update to what? Or, maybe someone else installed it on your machine?

Random chrome / Windows update.

And no, it is just me. And the butterflies.

Posted (edited)

DNS ad blockers are starting to take off. AdGuard DNS has been around for a while. You just set your DNS servers to theirs, and it acts like a sink hole, "losing" all the ads in the page loading process. No dowloads or plugins to install.  It's Russian though, so you'd have to be happy sending all your browsing history to Russia.

There's also Pi-Hole, an none-Russian one that does a similar thing I think. It uses a Raspberry PI somewhere in the process, connected to your home router.

Doesn't help White Flight's problem, but it might be interesting to see what gets through on his site.

Edited by MvR

1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

I am completely ad free. I occasionally get the "we have detected your ad blocker" thing. If they really mean it then I just press Back and go to the next search entry. I really hate ads. Was amazed to visit a friend who pays about 80 quid a month for Sky. I assumed that bought you out of adverts but no they are still there! 

Remember when one of Sky Football's selling points was the halftime punditry of Andy Gray? Halftime now is just two thick ad breaks. They even manage to sneak one in - always for a bookmaker - just before kick off. As I've said elsewhere I'm sure advertising breaks are the main driving force behind VAR. I've also noticed that both the Euro U21's and the African Nations Cup have been having liberal "cooling" breaks.

7 minutes ago, 201p said:

It's like if you work for Tesco, and worried about your job, you should buy Lidl/Aldi shares, if you could do so.

If we had some ham we could have ham and eggs, if we had some eggs.

Posted (edited)

Bit of a PITA.

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/ad-experience-unverified

Edited by XswampyX

6 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Random chrome / Windows update.

And no, it is just me. And the butterflies.

Well if your 'random' updates are because Windows/Chrome are set to install available updates automatically that's probably a good thing, from a security perspective.

I'm not on Windows so can't really check if Google have decided to include some kind of adblocking by default, but to me that sounds unlikely as, currently, Chrome add-on developers are up in arms about changes to the APIs available to them that will make it harder for add-blockers to work (for example [1], [2]) which Google are justifying (trying to justify, but no-one is buying it) under the label of "security".

I didn't install adblocker but...

27 minutes ago, spunko said:

Solution: disable adblock plus, get uBlock Origin.

25 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

That may be a solution for me...

Are you saying that you have a Chrome add-on installed that's called "adblocker", or you've got the "adblock plus"  add-on installed?

I know that "adblock plus" used to have a setting about allowing whitelisted adds, so there could be something in the settings there that you could tweak. But, randomly acquiring browser add-ons doesn't sound too good in the first place, does it?

The installed add-ons, and their origins are able to be listed within the browser. Maybe updating/running the anti virus is a good idea you truly have randomly got a third-party add-on installed?

[1] https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/06/13/google_chrome_ad_blockers/

[2] https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/05/29/google_webrequest_api/

1 hour ago, sam1994 ✌ said:

Serve your ads from the same domain (no subdomain) and it will be very hard for them to block it. 

They aren't adds. They are banners and the like.

I have applied to be whitelisted but it might take some time.

They aren't adds. They are banners and the like.

I have applied to be whitelisted but it might take some time.

They shouldn’t be blocked then.

2 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Agreed. But that doesn't alter the problem that they are.

Can you paste the HTML5 so we can see how you are embedding them? As Spunko says it’ll likely be the filenames. It could also be the name of your div elements etc.