• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Excellent! Free bus travel for 16-18 in Greater Manchester

Recommended Posts

16-18? Live in Greater Manchester? 
Get free bus travel! (From September)

Applications for Our Pass - which includes a one-off administration fee of £10 - are available from Monday at the website ourpass.co.uk

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/news/17739822.16-to-18-years-olds-in-greater-manchester-will-soon-get-free-bus-travel/

I think this is excellent.
 

Sports firm JD is sponsoring the two-year pilot programme which will also offer a range of sport, culture and leisure opportunities such as free tickets for Halle concerts at the Bridgewater Hall.

Our Pass is the new bus pass for 16-18-year-olds. For a one-off £10 administration fee, it unlocks free bus travel right across Greater Manchester – meaning that young people could unlock potential savings of over £500.

  • Our Pass will cover all local bus services across Greater Manchester.
  • The card removes the hassle and cost of buying tickets or passes for specific routes and operators.
  • Our Pass can be used seven days a week and has no time restrictions for bus travel. It’ll not just make getting to school, college, work and training easier, but also going out with friends and exploring Greater Manchester.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with frank.

After ~40 years of taking stuff off the young, followed by Brown  giving the moon to OAPs, this finally a turn in the right direction.

What would be great would be an an all you can eat UK Bus pass for the under 25s, priced as something like ~400/year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spygirl said:

I agree with frank.

After ~40 years of taking stuff off the young, followed by Brown  giving the moon to OAPs, this finally a turn in the right direction.

What would be great would be an an all you can eat UK Bus pass for the under 25s, priced as something like ~400/year.

Lower public transport costs would be great for most people tbh! 
It's £2 minimum fare on a bus in Manchester.
We were only going a few stops but I was absolutely knackered else I'd have got off and walked. TWO POUND. I think I went into shock for the duration of the journey and kept repeating TWO POUND! 
No wonder the buses are empty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Lower public transport costs would be great for most people tbh! 
It's £2 minimum fare on a bus in Manchester.
We were only going a few stops but I was absolutely knackered else I'd have got off and walked. TWO POUND. I think I went into shock for the duration of the journey and kept repeating TWO POUND! 
No wonder the buses are empty.

UK buses are at a funny point.

If you are an OAP they are free -woohoo!

If you are using them 5 days a week, month in month out, all the buscos ive come across offer an all-you-can-eat pass for stupid money.

I had a contract where I was staying (cheaply) about 10 miles away). There was a bus service which offered an 3 month all inc pass for ~200. That was cheaper than the petrol costs.

My niece has this

https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/north-east/bus-tickets/day-week-annual/

With this, she can get from Scarborough (the southern limit of arriva NE) to Berwick, 150 miles north. Way over my limit, althoguh did use to bus it up to newcastle uni (x93 -> boro, X1 (I think) to Eldon square) took ~4h but only cost me something like £5. I did do a day return trip a few times in summer too.

She mainly goes between home n whitby and Scabby though, with the odd boro journey.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I agree with frank.

After ~40 years of taking stuff off the young, followed by Brown  giving the moon to OAPs, this finally a turn in the right direction.

What would be great would be an an all you can eat UK Bus pass for the under 25s, priced as something like ~400/year.

My daughter was at uni in Nottingham and had an all you can eat bus pass.  It was IIRC about 300 for the year.  Bloody expensive I thought

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I never contemplated using the bus to commute to work because I couldn't buy a return ticket before 09.00 am, the first bus of the morning arrived at the city centre at 08.50, and the return buses were timed to leave the city centre at 17.10 and 18.40, presumably so they didn't get caught in commuter traffic!

Edited by Hopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, One percent said:

My daughter was at uni in Nottingham and had an all you can eat bus pass.  It was IIRC about 300 for the year.  Bloody expensive I thought

100/term, ~30 month.

2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I never contemplated using the bus to commute to work because I couldn't buy a return ticket before 09.00 am, the first bus of the morning arrived at the city centre at 08.50, and the return buses were timed to leave the city centre at 17.10 and 18.40, presumably so they didn't get caught in commuter traffic!

There are *some* good bus tickets and routes.

Combine that with judicious use of bus and enforced parknride bus lanes, £10/day parking, and a bus is ideal.

Yawk is slowing getting there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

100/term, ~30 month.

There are *some* good bus tickets and routes.

Combine that with judicious use of bus and enforced parknride bus lanes, £10/day parking, and a bus is ideal.

Yawk is slowing getting there.

Yeah I know, my one example is just that.

There are very few commuters on my route but there would have been many if the service was right. The rural route mainly catered for the daytime OAPs. Chicken and egg. Needed someone with vision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why only Manchester.

The Gubbermunt, in their wisdom, have insisted that all 16 - 18 year olds have to attend some kind of education.

They didn't say how the kid was going to afford the £30 per week bus fare to get there though.

This should have been done at the same time as extending school years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Why only Manchester.

The Gubbermunt, in their wisdom, have insisted that all 16 - 18 year olds have to attend some kind of education.

They didn't say how the kid was going to afford the £30 per week bus fare to get there though.

This should have been done at the same time as extending school years. 

Dont stop there.

When you could leave at 16, you could have 2 more years of free education.

By forcing kids to stay til 18, by that one eyed Scots cunts logic, surely the next 2 years should be free. i.e. 2 years of free Uni, only paying fees for the 3rd and more year.

Now Id be OK with that.

Or removal of requirement to stay after 16.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All public transport (trains and buses) should be free for everyone. 

It would save enormous amounts of car travel, create a great sense of community, probably would cost very little as they're already heavily subsidised, and might even make a profit - the government could sell advertising and concessions, eg coffee shops etc, the Ryanair pricing model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

All public transport (trains and buses) should be free for everyone. 

It would save enormous amounts of car travel, create a great sense of community, probably would cost very little as they're already heavily subsidised, and might even make a profit - the government could sell advertising and concessions, eg coffee shops etc, the Ryanair pricing model.

No, thats a recipe for waste.

There must be some pricing mechanim, even if its subbed. Otherwise youll get buses drivign around taking no where anyone wants to pay.

There should be some/a lot of sub - just to get people off urban roads. Health effects of cars pollution is becoming more n more frequent.

Regional i.e. non London buses are slowly getting there.

Theres still a lot of work to do esp,. with transfer tickets and what not.

Buses,  despite - or because - of being private business are getting there quickter than the trains, which are lousy..

*THE* thing thatll help the north is a north Oyster card system. Get some more train routes in place, join them up with buses.

The interweb can do the heavy lifting on info.

Can be revenue neutral - take the money out of benefits payments. Knock off 20% off LHA HB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

All public transport (trains and buses) should be free for everyone. 

It would save enormous amounts of car travel, create a great sense of community, probably would cost very little as they're already heavily subsidised, and might even make a profit - the government could sell advertising and concessions, eg coffee shops etc, the Ryanair pricing model.

Bit free for all, mate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

All public transport (trains and buses) should be free for everyone. 

It would save enormous amounts of car travel, create a great sense of community, probably would cost very little as they're already heavily subsidised, and might even make a profit - the government could sell advertising and concessions, eg coffee shops etc, the Ryanair pricing model.

How about doubling vehicle duty, but then giving everyone the amount they spend on car tax as a credit against train / bus travel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Even the cheapest monthly bus pass in Belfast is 55 quid a month....660 quid a year. Not cheap IMHO. Trains are even worse.

Er, try running a car for that much per annum Joseph.

And poor-old Onesie thinks 300 quid is expensive.

Bet the pair of you spend more on essentials like 12-blade razors and "smart"-phones...

;)

 

XYY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Even the cheapest monthly bus pass in Belfast is 55 quid a month....660 quid a year. Not cheap IMHO. Trains are even worse.

I don't think that's too bad considering you're not having to pay for petrol, insurance and parking. Especially with the bus lanes you're probably getting in and out of town without much hassle and can listen to a podcast. Depends on the route and service but where we are atm if I had to go to Belfest city centre I could utilise the glider and would do at that price.

Just to add we usually use the glider on the weekend rather than drive into the city. £3 return, also means I can have a drink as well. Yesterday had a couple of errands to run so was in the car. Ended up parking in a multi-storey, cost me £6.50 for two hours. I was livid O.o

Edited by A_P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Bet the pair of you spend more on essentials like 12-blade razors and "smart"-phones...

7.50 a month giff gaff, an iPhone 4 nearly a decade old, and an electric shaver....I'm a DOSBODDER after all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

How about doubling vehicle duty, but then giving everyone the amount they spend on car tax as a credit against train / bus travel?

Better still, how about scrapping VED and increasing tax on fuel and introducing road pricing? Then there would be a far more direct correlation between the cost of one's motoring and the impact it makes on the roads and the environment. Using public transport would become a more attractive option then without any subsidy (or at existing levels, if you must). I really don't get why any travel should be subsidized*.

(*edit: aforementioned 16-18 year olds who are obliged to continue in education notwithstanding)

Edited by Rave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Article on fall of diesel car sales

https://www.ft.com/content/6378f18a-8dc5-11e9-a1c1-51bf8f989972

The new ultra-low emission zone — or Ulez — came into force in central London in April. Under its rules, users of older cars — diesels with a Euro 5 engine or earlier, or petrol drivers with a Euro 3 engine or older — must pay a charge of £12.50 to drive in the eight square mile area.

Oouch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Article on fall of diesel car sales

https://www.ft.com/content/6378f18a-8dc5-11e9-a1c1-51bf8f989972

The new ultra-low emission zone — or Ulez — came into force in central London in April. Under its rules, users of older cars — diesels with a Euro 5 engine or earlier, or petrol drivers with a Euro 3 engine or older — must pay a charge of £12.50 to drive in the eight square mile area.

Oouch

I genuinely don't see why tax changes in central London are affecting sales.

The vast majority of car drivers will never visit central London or of they do will use public transport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I genuinely don't see why tax changes in central London are affecting sales.

The vast majority of car drivers will never visit central London or of they do will use public transport.

I’m guessing it’s about trust. I bought a new car two years ago.  I do significant mileage and so a diesel would make sense. I thought long and hard and came to the conclusion that the establishment could introduce these rules wherever they thought fit.

I also didn’t want one of those newfangled Diesel engines which appear to be plagued with all sorts of issues. Better to stick to tried and tested technology. I also bought a 2L engine as the smaller one only had three cylinders. Again, tried and tested technology. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.