• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spunko

Interesting Facts thread

Let's have an interesting facts thread. NO POLITICS or enrichment-related facts is the only rule to stop it being repetitive;  and if possible please provide a source.

I'll start.

Dr Oetker sells more frozen pizzas in Italy than they do in the UK (and they're all made in Hull)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2005856/Ristorante-Italys-popular-pizza-manufactured-Lancashire-Dr-Oetker.html

52 minutes ago, spunko said:

Dr Oetker sells more frozen pizzas in Italy than they do in the UK (and they're all made in Hull)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2005856/Ristorante-Italys-popular-pizza-manufactured-Lancashire-Dr-Oetker.html

I love these pizza they are delicious. Although over a thousand calories per so I try not to. Pro-tip they regularly go on offer at 1.50 so wait until then, they're frozen anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I love these pizza they are delicious. Although over a thousand calories per so I try not to. Pro-tip they regularly go on offer at 1.50 so wait until then, they're frozen anyway. 

I'm always a bit dubious of the apparent calorific value of some foods. Many of them seem to be more than the sum of their ingredients. Anything from McDonalds, for a start. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dgul said:

The horsepower of a horse is about 15 horsepower.

For how long? Not very long I would guess.

In cycle racing, everyone's focused on their FTP (functional threshold power), the power you can sustain for 1 hour. Top pros can do 6+ Watts/kg. 

I think the idea with the hp is similar: a horse's sustained power output.

A sled dog's FTP is probably super-high, per kg.

Edited by Transistor Man

The flames from the exhausts in dragsters are not always unburnt fuel.  The advancing shockwave is enough to separate the hydrogen and oxygen in the steam in the exhaust.  Then they recombine to make steam again... and a bangy flame!

7 minutes ago, Transistor Man said:

I think the idea with the hp is similar: a horse's sustained power output.

Horsepower was originally a marketing thing -- James Watt needed to tell mine owners how many 'equivalent horses driving a horse gin' his engine could replace.  So, there's quite a lot going on -- The horses needed to be able to keep going all their working life (so sustained output without premature wear) and they were small horses (ponies).  Also, I'm sure he was 'enthusiastic' with his calculations to ensure that paper calculations for the financial impact of his engines worked out better for steam engines vs horses.

It remains an amusing aspect of 'units of power' that James Watt invented the concept of a properly defined metric for 'the rate of doing work', the Horsepower, but that the SI unit for power named after him is the Watt, which is an entirely different unit to the Horsepower.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, dgul said:

It remains an amusing aspect of 'units of power' that James Watt invented the concept of a properly defined metric for 'the rate of doing work', the Horsepower, but that the SI unit for power named after him is the Watt, which is an entirely different unit to the Horsepower.

Why do you say the Watt is an "entirely different unit" to the Horsepower? Are you referring to the  non-mechanical, equivalent definitions of the Watt? 

The mechanical definitions are equivalent, other than a scale factor.

The Watt is also defined as the rate of doing work: 1 joule/ second == 1 (newton. metre) /second

Edited by Transistor Man

6 minutes ago, Transistor Man said:

Why do you say the Watt is an "entirely different unit" to the Horsepower? Are you referring to the  non-mechanical, equivalent definitions of the Watt? 

The mechanical definitions are equivalent, other than a scale factor.

The Watt is also defined as the rate of doing work: 1 joule/ second == 1 (newton. metre) /second

I suppose I mean that 1 Watt isn't very similar to 1 HP.

To add insult to injury, the 'roughly equivalent in magnitude to a HP' unit is the killer-Watt (ish).

1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

I love these pizza they are delicious. Although over a thousand calories per so I try not to. 

So do I. Yep they go on offer every now and then. One supermarket near me sells them for £3.19 when not on offer. O.oA lot of money for a thin base pizza. 

1 hour ago, dgul said:

Horsepower was originally a marketing thing -- James Watt needed to tell mine owners how many 'equivalent horses driving a horse gin' his engine could replace.  So, there's quite a lot going on -- The horses needed to be able to keep going all their working life (so sustained output without premature wear) and they were small horses (ponies).  Also, I'm sure he was 'enthusiastic' with his calculations to ensure that paper calculations for the financial impact of his engines worked out better for steam engines vs horses.

I'll bet you know this already, but for those that might not - when abbreviating kilowatt, note that the k is lower case and the W is upper case - i.e. kW. The reason being that Watt is a proper noun.

There are other examples.

2 hours ago, dgul said:

The horsepower of a horse is about 15 horsepower.

we 'consume' about one horsepower constant.

so that's 33000 ft lbs per minute.

or 60 x 33000 ft lbs per hour

or 24 x 60 x 33000 ft lbs per day

or 47520000/2240 ft tons per day.

21214 ft tons per day

662 ft 32ton truck per day.

so we're burning energy at the rate of 32 ton truck.... raised (or lowered) 662 ft.

I think   ?

7 minutes ago, nickc said:

21214 ft tons per day

so we're burning energy at the rate of 32 ton truck.... raised (or lowered) 662 ft.

I think   ?

I've only got cat C1 so I'm restricted to burning energy at the rate of a 7.5 tonne truck.

7 minutes ago, nickc said:

21214 ft tons per day

I think   ?

The rate of total energy consumption per capita (for the UK citizen)  is apparently more like 4 kW (2014)!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_energy_consumption_per_capita

so, I make it that the  32 tonne truck as being lifted at a rate of over 1 km per day!  

33 minutes ago, null; said:

I'll bet you know this already, but for those that might not - when abbreviating kilowatt, note that the k is lower case and the W is upper case - i.e. kW. The reason being that Watt is a proper noun.

There are other examples.

kWh seems to catch many out.