• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Bus Stop Boxer

Mattress in a box.

Posted (edited)

Looking for a new mattress.

Any recommendations? Any tips re longevity etc.

Lots of knock off Simba versions about. inofia Vengsetti etc.

Quite keen on the look of the Hush model.

Are all these boxed versions a total gimmick?

Edited by Bus Stop Boxer

7 minutes ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Looking for a new mattress.

Any recommendations? Any tips re longevity etc.

Lots of knock off Simba versions about. inofia Vengsetti etc.

Quite keen on the look of the Hush model.

Are all these boxed versions a total gimmick?

Apparently, the mattress used by Premier Inn and made by Hypnos gets good reviews and can be bought

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/why/sleep/buy-our-bed.html

I'd consider it if I was in the market for a new mattress

11 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Apparently, the mattress used by Premier Inn and made by Hypnos gets good reviews and can be bought

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/why/sleep/buy-our-bed.html

I'd consider it if I was in the market for a new mattress

However, as I've previously posted John Ryan ( @LC1's link above) took one apart and said it wasn't all that.

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/understanding-beds/premier-inn-mattress-review-alternatives/

And yet....

In response to that someone posted that they had bought from JR and weren't that impressed. "Expensive mistake" was the term IIRC.

I can't find the thread so maybe it was on ToS but the JR buyer may well be here.

16 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

However, as I've previously posted John Ryan ( @LC1's link above) took one apart and said it wasn't all that.

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/understanding-beds/premier-inn-mattress-review-alternatives/

And yet....

In response to that someone posted that they had bought from JR and weren't that impressed. "Expensive mistake" was the term IIRC.

I can't find the thread so maybe it was on ToS but the JR buyer may well be here.

In which case

I won't consider the premier Inn mattress or the JR

It's a good job I'm too tight to buy a new matress - much research time saved

Another vote for John Ryan.

We had a very expensive Tempur for many years: good but hot and ludicrously expensive to replace.

John Ryan asked what we were using then advised a cheaper alternative to the mattress on their website we were leaning toward.

It was good advice, the mattress has been as supportive as the Tempur but without the heat, much cheaper and IMO more comfortable than the Premier Inn Hypnos. 

2019 will be the year of the overpriced mattress. Driven by marketing garb about "spending a third of your life in bed", some people have taken to spending £2k on a mattress. Another sign of there being far too much printed money around and too many loaded  boomers.

I got my Silentnight mattress for £150 from Amazon, it's a rip-off of those memoryfoam ones but it's great and the reviews said as much.

Anyone that spends a grand+ on a posh mattress needs a slap. And the thought of returning one of them after your "trial", after some fatty has slept on it for 30 days is disgusting, and enough reason to avoid them. If they throw them out after being returned then that's a waste too.

Posted (edited)

Should have said im not looking to spend more than £250 and not buying a "refurbished" model.

Which would tend to rule out most of the premier brands, though there are a few unboxed new items knocking around on Ebay.

Edited by Bus Stop Boxer

26 minutes ago, spunko said:

I got my Silentnight mattress for £150 from Amazon, it's a rip-off of those memoryfoam ones but it's great and the reviews said as much.

+1 for memory foam,  and silent night specifically.

Memory foam beds vary in quality / comfort more than you might expect.  Silent night are expensive for a memory foam mattress..  but compared to a sprung mattress they are a complete steal.

We have a JR for our main bed,  and a SilentNight MF in the spare room.  I actually find the MF more comfy.   The JR one is ok but after a couple months starts to sag in the middle of each side and we end up having to flip/spin/tango every couple months or sleep in a trough.  No such hassle with the MF one.

1 minute ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Thanks for link. None of that is coming as much of surprise. Ive been wading through infomercials on Youtube all morning.

It does seem like these mattress in a box companies are MLM firms first, and mattress manufacturers second. They pay shit loads in referrals and commissions.

5 minutes ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Should have said im not looking to spend more than £250 and not buying a "refurbished" model.

In that case definitely get the silent night MF one.  Usually on offer at a pretty good price on Amazon..  though I’m sure @The Masked Tulip will be along shortly with a hot uk deal at half the price :D

39 minutes ago, spunko said:

2019 will be the year of the overpriced mattress. Driven by marketing garb about "spending a third of your life in bed", some people have taken to spending £2k on a mattress. Another sign of there being far too much printed money around and too many loaded  boomers.

Anyone that spends a grand+ on a posh mattress needs a slap. And the thought of returning one of them after your "trial", after some fatty has slept on it for 30 days is disgusting, and enough reason to avoid them. If they throw them out after being returned then that's a waste too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silentnight-Memory-Rolled-Mattres-Medium/dp/B006MUTMF6/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1ESPHNHVB3WBR&keywords=silentnight+memory+foam+mattress&qid=1562164519&s=gateway&sprefix=silent+night+mem%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-5

Like this?

10 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Personally can only vouch for the 7 zone version..   but that is still within your budget.

Cheers for that.

I love how amazon bung the reviews for 2 entirely different models in the same review section.

Compared to these, the reviews are modest to me. But how genuine are the reviews? As Spunko has pointed out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inofia-Mattress-Ventilated-Collection-135x190x29cm/dp/B07KP9VCNP/ref=sr_1_5?crid=15MFKQJWK8U58&keywords=inofia&qid=1562166125&s=gateway&sprefix=inofia%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-5

56 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

I just bought a cheap rolled-up one from IKEA. It's been good so far.

#metoo. Got several identical ones. (For guest rooms.) So think I have bought my last mattress? (They shd see us out! :D )

I’m going for one of those Emma type mattresses in a box next time. I’ve spent silly money on a Sealy mattress and whilst it was lovely at first, a year in and I don’t think it’s worth the big expense. Besides I had to change all my fitted sheets because it’s so frigging deep.

Best sleep I’ve ever had was on our 4 inch thick trailer tent foam mattresses. One of my kids has one of those roll out foam ones and it’s lovely. That’s me for next time.

47 minutes ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Cheers for that.

I love how amazon bung the reviews for 2 entirely different models in the same review section.

Compared to these, the reviews are modest to me. But how genuine are the reviews? As Spunko has pointed out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inofia-Mattress-Ventilated-Collection-135x190x29cm/dp/B07KP9VCNP/ref=sr_1_5?crid=15MFKQJWK8U58&keywords=inofia&qid=1562166125&s=gateway&sprefix=inofia%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-5

I went through the same pain reviewing reviews. A common theme was memory foam not expanding sufficiently and / or stinking out the whole house with a chemical smell. Even for expensive memory foam.

2 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

I went through the same pain reviewing reviews. A common theme was memory foam not expanding sufficiently and / or stinking out the whole house with a chemical smell. Even for expensive memory foam.

Once i get the ok from that Inofia company,, that they do indeed pay for the trial return, i will prob get one of those direct from their website.

I want to uy a brnaded unboxed job on Ebay but seller wont entertain any returns even if the fucker doesnt expand properly.

My head is pickled from sifting out all the sujective crap from reviews.

I guess actually visiting a shop might come in to it at some stage.

But then when you lie, fully clothed, on a bed in a shop, for ten minutes, whats that going to tell you, really?

We use Millbrook contract beds. They are well priced and excellent quality. Apart from the odd weirdo we generally have good feedback regarding our beds and sleep quality.

my own best ever was a hotel in Tokyo with a very special memory phone bed. easily the most confortable bed I have ever slept in.

It was this hotel https://www.keikyu-exhotel.jp/hotel/takanawa/languages/en.html

The breakfast , which was inluded was great too!