• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
RWJ

Nail infection

Recommended Posts

Apologies, not the nicest topic...

Anyone successfully treated a fungal nail infection?  I've had one on a big toe for years which hasn't bothered me other than being unsightly.

Recently it's started being mildly painful at times, particularly after long walks.  Not enough to be troublesome but I'd like to get rid.  Options I'm aware of are :-

1. Off the shelf liquid treatment - about £20 a bottle.  Tried one brand, didn't work.

2. Prescribed tablets - I understand these can impact liver function which is probably not a risk I'd take for something mostly cosmetic.

3. Laser - very expensive - about £500 and not guaranteed to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, This Time said:

The tablets causing liver problems isn't true according to more than one if the doctors my husband had seen for his toes.

Conflicting info, my GP specifically said there's a risk and to try the paint on stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Apologies, not the nicest topic...

Anyone successfully treated a fungal nail infection?  I've had one on a big toe for years which hasn't bothered me other than being unsightly.

Recently it's started being mildly painful at times, particularly after long walks.  Not enough to be troublesome but I'd like to get rid.  Options I'm aware of are :-

1. Off the shelf liquid treatment - about £20 a bottle.  Tried one brand, didn't work.

2. Prescribed tablets - I understand these can impact liver function which is probably not a risk I'd take for something mostly cosmetic.

3. Laser - very expensive - about £500 and not guaranteed to work.

As far as I know, one of the important active ingredients in the new off the shelf and very expensive commercial treatment is urea

The problem with nail treatment is getting antifungal treatments to the fungus because it is protected by the impervious nail

urea softens the nail letting the treatments through to kill the fungus

https://www.podiatrytoday.com/blogged/what-research-reveals-about-use-urea-treatment-onychomycosis

I would be tempted to make a treatment yourself as urea is as cheap as chips to buy. There is no need for the high price tag of the commercial preparation - it's daylight robbery.

Use the urea to soften the nail and then attack it with an appropriate off-the-shelf antifungal treatment

This is not medical advice for you, but i'd do it to myself if I needed

I'm big on home treatment, will cut things out etc if they annoy me.

 

 

Edited by Hopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Husband has this problem - expensive little bottle of stuff to paint on didn't work. But GP did tell him it might take ages. (Years??

Anyway,  husband got bored doing the treatment and stopped it.  So I suggested he could try soaking his feet in a white vinegar and water mix instead.  He did that a couple of times but also got bored. Problem is that he thinks his feet are fine (just a bit ugly looking) so there's no need to do anything. But I worry (for him) that the fungal infection might possibly spread somewhere ... if left to bed itself down in there?

I think I might also have a small fungal issue ... but with a smaller toenail.  So I am spraying a small amount of (neat) white vinegar on it when I remember eg most mornings.  Not sure if it working but I think it might helping - slowly.

Anyway, I will be following any other advice on here with interest! It's obviously a common problem!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can one use urine instead of urea? I do remember hearing that peeing on one's feet in he shower was a cure for chilblains. (But no-one has chilblains anymore I think?!) What about just roughing up the nail surface with a nail file and then applying the liquid treatment? (Or the white vinegar in my case!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soak it in a good 'harsh' vinegar for 30 mins per day. Allow the vinegar to get into the foot. Then cover with a good dollop of Vicks Vapour rub.

Do this twice daily if you can for at least a fortnight.

Garlic has amazing antibacterial properties. I would be tempted to crush a clove to pulp daily and smear that on as a paste with the vicks vapour rub. Vicks contains eucalyptus which has healing properties.

Some people recommend buying extra strength garlic capsules. I can see some merit in that and certainly something that I would consider for a month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 201p said:

Can you upload a picture?

It can be confused with something else like ONYCHOGRYPHOSIS (which may also be fungal, but a treatment failure may indicate another cause)

4.jpg

Source http://www.odermatol.com/issue-in-html/2011-4-13-onychogryphosis/

It's nothing like that I'm glad to say - I assume you've sought medical help for those....

Apart from half the nail being discoloured it's otherwise a normal nail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Soak it in a good 'harsh' vinegar for 30 mins per day. Allow the vinegar to get into the foot. Then cover with a good dollop of Vicks Vapour rub.

Do this twice daily if you can for at least a fortnight.

Garlic has amazing antibacterial properties. I would be tempted to crush a clove to pulp daily and smear that on as a paste with the vicks vapour rub. Vicks contains eucalyptus which has healing properties.

Some people recommend buying extra strength garlic capsules. I can see some merit in that and certainly something that I would consider for a month.

I’ve read other reports of Vicks being used, interesting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RWJ said:

I’ve read other reports of Vicks being used, interesting...

 

Give it a go - you have nothing to lose. Just try not to contaminate any jar of it you use as you don't want to be spreading it around and infecting elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bottle-Tea-Tree-Essential-Antiseptic/dp/B07DM1FL7G/ref=sr_1_16?adgrpid=52787143186&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr_HAjM6Z4wIVr7ztCh3nUQReEAAYASAAEgJ7qfD_BwE&hvadid=259076684590&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1006886&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17376352394133419999&hvtargid=kwd-301039698148&hydadcr=28152_1724844&keywords=pure+tea+tree+oil&qid=1562186473&s=gateway&sr=8-16

and

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1389/smpc

be careful with the tea tree.  Just a couple of drops.  don't put too much on because your skin might react.

and I used a pairing knife to cut out bits.

if its gone really bad and got into the matrix of the nail you will need the oral treatment from the doctor.

Tea trees advantage is that it can soak into the skin whereas creams dont do so well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RWJ said:

Apologies, not the nicest topic...

Anyone successfully treated a fungal nail infection?  I've had one on a big toe for years which hasn't bothered me other than being unsightly.

Recently it's started being mildly painful at times, particularly after long walks.  Not enough to be troublesome but I'd like to get rid.  Options I'm aware of are :-

1. Off the shelf liquid treatment - about £20 a bottle.  Tried one brand, didn't work.

2. Prescribed tablets - I understand these can impact liver function which is probably not a risk I'd take for something mostly cosmetic.

3. Laser - very expensive - about £500 and not guaranteed to work.

Canesten cream with preferably 2% clotramizole (chemist) or 1% stuff (supermarket).

The infection is/will be deep in the nail which causes it to thicken, yellow and become painful.

1) Soften nail, having a bath will do this nicely.

2) Cut nail as short as possibe and scrape any softened bits (probably yellow) off the back of the nail.

3) Apply cream.

Do this once or twice every week.

Nails take a long time to grow back especially the big toe one so it may take 12 months but keeping it trimmed as short a possible will speed growth up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I got it in two toe nails about 10 years ago. I took the tablets for several months and was careful (ish) with my diet and alcohol intake to hopefully minimise the affect on my liver. It cleared up with the nails recovering to 95% or better. I've not been aware of any issues with my liver at any time.

Edited by Iamcynical

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RWJ said:

Apologies, not the nicest topic...

Anyone successfully treated a fungal nail infection?  I've had one on a big toe for years which hasn't bothered me other than being unsightly.

Recently it's started being mildly painful at times, particularly after long walks.  Not enough to be troublesome but I'd like to get rid.  Options I'm aware of are :-

1. Off the shelf liquid treatment - about £20 a bottle.  Tried one brand, didn't work.

2. Prescribed tablets - I understand these can impact liver function which is probably not a risk I'd take for something mostly cosmetic.

3. Laser - very expensive - about £500 and not guaranteed to work.

4. I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iamcynical said:

I got it in two toe nails about 10 years ago. I took the tablets for several months and was careful (ish) with my diet and alcohol intake to hopefully minimise the affect on my liver. It cleared up with the nails recovering to 95% or better. I've not been aware of any issues with my liver at any time.

You're not drinking enough lager :Old:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A mate had fungal problems for years (incl. nails) and recently developed Thrush. Putting 2 + 2 together he purchased a glucose testing kit from Boots to discover he was pre-diabetic. He cut his carbs and went on a low calorie diet, following which all symptoms have disappeared.

Something to consider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuck me.

What with hay fever, dodgy nails and a whole host of other maladies, most folk on here seem very unhealthy.

Maybe it's all those tablets and potions you all appear to take regularly...

;)

 

XYY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

Whereas anal suppositories and wig glue are the only things to be found in the XYY medicine cabinet...

:)

Not quite.

I don't hardly ever take nowt, but our lass has two kitchen drawers full of every fucking tablet known to man-kind. She trades the bastards with her equally mental mother...!

Two diazipams for one valium - it's like a bereau de change when them two get the contents of their handbags out

I didn't even know you had to sign a prescription until I got one recently...

 

XYY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

:)

Not quite.

I don't hardly ever take nowt, but our lass has two kitchen drawers full of every fucking tablet known to man-kind. She trades the bastards with her equally mental mother...!

Two diazipams for one valium - it's like a bereau de change when them two get the contents of their handbags out

I didn't even know you had to sign a prescription until I got one recently...

 

XYY

Tell your good lady that I will take 200 trammies off her hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

annusol is off the shelf mate, no need for a prescription for that.

(or so im told).

:)

Aye...?

And so is fucking Vaseline, you bent cunt...!

;)

 

XYY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.