• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

What happened?

Genius celebs who just sort of stopped.

Mike Myers.

Waynes World 1992

Waynes World 2 1993

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery 1997

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me 1999

Austin Powers: Goldmember 2002

That's it.  Nothing but cameos and voice work for cartoons ever since.  The film equivalent of The Stone Roses.

1 minute ago, Kurt Barlow said:

The Love Guru was Myers League of Extraordinary Gentleman (film that finished off Sean Connery) 

He broke Hollywood’s only commandment

Thou shall not make movies that lose money.

I believe after Austin Powers he got a rep as being exceptionally difficult to work with. If Austin Powers has flopped it would have been the end there.

Half way through the voiceover of Shrek he decided he wanted to do a Scottish accent and cost the studio millions.

He's a bit of a one trick pony. An enjoyable trick, but it does get a bit tired. 

A massive fan of both Austin Powers and Wayne's World. And So I Married an Ace Murderer has some of my favourite scenes ever. Heed, move!

6 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Kelly LeBrock:

Woman in Red

Weird Science

Hard to kill

All hugely successful, then tumbleweed.

Married Steven Seagal 

26 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

The Love Guru was Myers League of Extraordinary Gentleman (film that finished off Sean Connery) 

Im led to believe early onset Dementia or Alzheimers(sic) did that. 

11 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

He's a bit of a one trick pony. An enjoyable trick, but it does get a bit tired. 

A massive fan of both Austin Powers and Wayne's World. And So I Married an Ace Murderer has some of my favourite scenes ever. Heed, move!

Saturday Morny, 

She make me Horny

On 03/07/2019 at 22:48, Roger_Mellie said:

You're right there mind. Wayne's World is funny as fuck. Axe Murderer is poor at times, but both "heed" and the scene with his fatha playing Do You Think I'm Sexy on the bagpipes crack me up every time.

Confession time: It was only on the second time of viewing that I realised it was Myers also playing the Jock fatha.

;)

XYY

Just now, The XYY Man said:

You're right there mind. Wayne's World is funny as fuck. Axe Murderer is poor at times, but both "heed" and the scene with his fatha playing Do You Think I'm Sexy on the bagpipes crack me up every time.

Confession time: It was only on the second time of viewing that I realised it was Myers also playing the Jock fatha.

;)

XYY

I've got a Scottish colleague who looks exactly like the dad, it's uncanny.

The Scottish act is pretty much Myers' one trick. I also liked Cat in the Hat. But he pretty much played that like every other role he's done.

The impact of Austin Powers was pretty big culturally as it’s still frequently referenced even now.

I do suspect stuff like that does only come from one comedic genius and their obsessive attention to detail and getting the scene exactly right which probably drives anyone working with them up the wall.

I think it was Michael Caine who said the more the crew seem to enjoy themselves and laugh on set the more likely you’ll have something the audience finds an unfunny turkey.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SNACR said:

I think it was Michael Caine who said the more the crew seem to enjoy themselves and laugh on set the more likely you’ll have something the audience finds an unfunny turkey.

Kermode says the same, if the cast look like they are having great time making it, you're almost guaranteed a turd of a comedy.

Weirdly, getting comedy right is apparently a very serious business.

I must admit, Austin Powers went quite over my head, even at the time. My mates found it hilarious but I really didn't get it. That probably says more about me than anything else.

It's all very subjective, for me the best comedies, or at least the ones that really made me laugh were 'Me, Myself and Irene' and 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert'. The latter almost made me piss myself.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Kermode says the same, if the cast look like they are having great time making it, you're almost guaranteed a turd of a comedy.

Weirdly, getting comedy right is apparently a very serious business.

I must admit, Austin Powers went quite over my head, even at the time. My mates found it hilarious but I really didn't get it. That probably says more about me than anything else. 

It's all very subjective, for me the best comedies, or at least the ones that really made me laugh were 'Me, Myself and Irene' and 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert'. The latter almost made me piss myself. 

Good choices.

On 03/07/2019 at 22:48, Roger_Mellie said:

And So I Married an Ace Murderer has some of my favourite scenes ever. Heed, move!

Great film! And he gets to do his Scottish accent in it too :)

13 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

It's an affectionate parody of the Bond films and with any parody the more familiar that you are with the original the funnier you will find the parody.

I also liked Spinal Tap and Five Go Mad in Dorset because again I was familiar with the source material.

In contrast French & Saunders, who I can find very funny, left me entirely cold with their series of film parodies because every film they spoofed I either hadn't seen or had seen once and thought was terrible like Titanic.

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's an affectionate parody of the Bond films and with any parody the more familiar that you are with the original the funnier you will find the parody.

I also liked Spinal Tap and Five Go Mad in Dorset because again I was familiar with the source material.

In contrast French & Saunders, who I can find very funny, left me entirely cold with their series of film parodies because every film they spoofed I either hadn't seen or had seen once and thought was terrible like Titanic.

Ah, that might explain it as I was never much of a follower of Bond either, always thought it was a bit naff.

I might go and rewatch some of the old Pink Panther films as I remember them having me in stitches. In fact, Peter Sellers was a comedy genius IMO. I watched him in a film called 'The Party' that absolutely would not pass muster today as I think he 'browned up' for the part but Christ it was funny.

'Birdy Num Num?

On 03/07/2019 at 22:42, Hail the Tripod said:

Kelly LeBrock:

Woman in Red

Weird Science

Hard to kill

All hugely successful, then tumbleweed.

Wasn't KLB just a case of 'sexy girl gets parts, then gets less sexy'?

[This might be construed as 'the age problem for actresses', but the issue isn't that they don't get the parts when older, but that they only get the parts because they're younger (and pretty/sexy).]

2 hours ago, dgul said:

Wasn't KLB just a case of 'sexy girl gets parts, then gets less sexy'?

[This might be construed as 'the age problem for actresses', but the issue isn't that they don't get the parts when older, but that they only get the parts because they're younger (and pretty/sexy).]

Nope.

Married Steven Seagull who beat her and locked in a cupboard.

12 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Nope.

Married Steven Seagull who beat her and locked in a cupboard.

I very much like Steve'n Seagull's Finnish rock bluegrass fusion band:

(if you look closely you'll see Quentin Tarantino doing the spoons)