• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

When has a good player ever made a good manager?

Just now, SirGaz said:

Clough? 

He was an OK player.

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

I don't care much for the story but just noticed on your link that the So-Called BBC has changed its typeface.

In true BBC style, it was created especially for them (apparently to save money), and named after a former Director-General.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40825885

On Thursday the So-Called BBC Sport website revealed the broadcaster's new typeface called Reith, named after the corporation's first director general.

Oh I see theyve made a mistake. The new typeface is actually called Lineker....

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

He was an OK player.

My dad reckoned he was shaping to be one of the greats before a bad injury finished his career.

1 minute ago, SirGaz said:

My dad reckoned he was shaping to be one of the greats before a bad injury finished his career.

But thats it. He almost got ther, got knackered, so had time to reflect and mature as person.

Most good players these days are going to fucking horrible cunt people.

8 minutes ago, spygirl said:

He was an OK player.

Once again, the shite spews out of your daft gob.

Brian Clough was an excellent player. His goals per game played ratio is truly outstanding.

Stick to the tax credits pal, and leave football talk to the men...

XYY

13 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Brian Clough was an excellent player. His goals per game played ratio is truly outstanding.

XYY

Still on rag?

Oh, look:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Clough

In 1946, Clough failed his Eleven-plus examination and attended Marton Grove Secondary ModernSchool.

Marton.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

251 Goals in 274 games.

Not playing the same class of football as the likes of Greaves though. Most of Cloughs goals were scored in League Division 2.  Apparently the Boro defence let them in at the other end as quick as Clough could score them. He could have played for better teams but players then were essentially treated as serfs and Clough had his transfer requests turned down for years.

Edited by Virgil Caine

Posted (edited)

One thing I've heard about Alex Ferguson is that he wasn't a naturally gifted footballer, and really had to work hard to be good enough to play. That work ethic to get better was something he looked for and even demanded from his players, the naturally gifted players often don't need to try hard, and that attitude does not translate in to management.

Notable how many of Feguson's players went in to management, Bruce, Keen, Giggs, Scholes, Robson, Strachan, Solskjaer, Hughs, Ince, sure I'll have missed some, OK none have been world class managers, yet, but they all had the same attitiude as players.

Occasionally, you get very gifted players with work ethic, then you have a world class player, Ronaldo, Giggs, Beckham

Edited by snaga

Posted (edited)

Kevin Keegan, what he done for Newcastle was remarkable.

Could it be great players dont become great managers as they've made their money so dont put the effort in?

Edited by Tdog

What do football managers actually do, is it like normal managers PowerPoint and spouting bollocks about winning being in our DNA? 

I think there's a bit of a pattern here. 

Most British footballers are thick as pigshit and need to be told which direction to kick the ball in, so don't make good managers. 

High-quality foreign footballers have a tendency to be less thick and so can make good managers too. Obviously not always, but there are enough examples around to make a discernible pattern.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Tdog said:

Could it be great players dont become great managers as they've made their money so dont put the effort in?

nah, it's about attitude, Klopp is following a very similar path to Ferguson, Klopp had a similar playing career, arguably Pep was the same, never a great as a player, but made up for his ability with his attitide. If you have the work ethic attitude, it's not about the money, it's about winning.

Edited by snaga

Posted (edited)

h_00607107.jpg

Won a load of medals playing for Liverpool being part of the most successful scoring partnership ever up until that point.

Became player-manager of Swansea taking them from the old 4th division to the top of the then 1st division in straight years. Then had a bit of a career with several European clubs including some Spanish club called Real Madrid. Did some miracles for Wales when they had trouble fielding 11 players and, something which still makes me laugh, had one of the Welsh team players ask who he was, what had he ever done in football and why should they play for him? Because he has more talent in his little toe than you do in your entire body mate.

The above still is from the night Swansea got promoted to the then second division by beating Chesterfield. I remember it well. Swansea were 1 - 0 down needing a victory to get promoted. Tosh, then as player-manager and substitute, brings himself onto the pitch in the last 10 minutes or so. What could he do?

Well, he took a free-kick from outside the penalty box to Alan Waddle in the box who made it 1 - 1. The crowd went crazy. But still it was not enough to get promoted. The clock was ticking down. Just minutes were left. Swansea get a corner. Who else would you want in the box at that point other than John Toshack. Ball goes into the box. Tosh rises up above everyone. Back of the net. Swansea 2 - 1 up. Crowd goes fecking nuts. Whistle goes. Promotion. Thousands on the pitch.

I was there with my dad. I am there even now.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

39 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

What do football managers actually do, 

Actually a very good question.

The problem a lot of gifted players have in management is that they just can't get their heads around their charges being less capable than they were.

1 hour ago, Tdog said:

Kenny Dalglish won the league for Liverpuddle a few times and with Blackburn. 

Fucken shite at Newcastle though.

Just wondering how many managers won the English title with two different clubs other than Dalglish  and Clough ( on buttons in Clough's case with Derby and Forest, both looking at a drop into the third tier before Clough)?