• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Proms for primary

Recommended Posts

They had a huge stretch pink limo turn up and cart a dozen of so year 6 kids off to their prom. 

Some dressed almost like a skanky Madonna. Photos all over FB today of it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It used to be that schools actively discouraged extravagances like proms and expensive foreign trips for the very good reason that they highlighted wealth differences amongst the pupils and so caused resentment.

That ethos of genuine equality between all pupils, rather than a bit of virtue-signalling lip service to it, has been lost somewhere along the line and that isn't good.

I know somebody, single mother on a low salary, who was going into debt so that her duaghter could go on some extravagant overseas sports trip, to the West Indies for cricket IIRC, like her friends.

I don't like it one bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn’t bother me..  I just find it tacky.

It saddens me that parents and schools are moving to favour this sort of shallow cock waving.

That said,  I’m probably just a boring kill joy with better things to waste my money on than pink limos and children’s prom dresses so they can prance around acting like something they neither are nor have worked for.

More “I’m worth it” culture

Humbug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I can’t imagine my sons wanting to go to a prom, even if they held one at their primary school, which they don’t.

I don't think there'd be much point in daughter's school having one - there are only three kids in year 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, eight said:

I don't think there'd be much point in daughter's school having one - there are only three kids in year 6.

Send her transgendered up as George Formby and claim you got the wrong end of the little stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Send her transgendered up as George Formby and claim you got the wrong end of the little stick.

Some fucker here made me buy a ukulele and the GF songbook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the world has changed. When I was at secondary school we had an end of term dance where we could dance the dashing white sergeant (a scottish traditional dance) etc. There were a few contemporary tunes played also. We never got anything new to wear. It was good fun overall.

I noted in the mid 2000’s when my daughter was at secondary school that the school dance was changing. Evening dresses for the end of term school dance became a thing plus a few pupils arriving in hired stretch limos plus coverage in the local paper.

Luckily my daughter was happy just to have a nice evening with her friends at a modest cost.

I’ve seen photos in the local paper of pre school kids at graduation from nursery ceremonies.

Utter madness!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s nuts. Eldest, now 22, had a “prom” when leaving primary. Some of the mothers hired black tie. Son wore black school trousers, white shirt and tie for the whole 2 hour experience. A couple of the wealthy yummy mummy types did a whip round for a limo. Next son at the same school did similar and youngest who’d changed school just had a disco, I think. 

My kids don’t go in for this sort of thing anyway but a friend of mine paid around £600 for a dress for her daughter’s prom, leaving after GCSE’s, so Christ knows what she’s going to spend when she leaves after her A levels or for a wedding!

i sometimes get invited to attend prom events for work and some of the stuff on offer to these kids is crazy. Ballgowns, chocolate fountains, make up contouring. Where does it end

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

It’s nuts. Eldest, now 22, had a “prom” when leaving primary. Some of the mothers hired black tie. Son wore black school trousers, white shirt and tie for the whole 2 hour experience. A couple of the wealthy yummy mummy types did a whip round for a limo. Next son at the same school did similar and youngest who’d changed school just had a disco, I think. 

My kids don’t go in for this sort of thing anyway but a friend of mine paid around £600 for a dress for her daughter’s prom, leaving after GCSE’s, so Christ knows what she’s going to spend when she leaves after her A levels or for a wedding!

i sometimes get invited to attend prom events for work and some of the stuff on offer to these kids is crazy. Ballgowns, chocolate fountains, make up contouring. Where does it end

Agree this school prom thing is utter nuts. Thankfully my kids have learnt thrift from me regarding clothing and needs.

Daughter was at an evening gown ball on Wednesday evening. She looked gorgeous (yes, I’m biased being her mum) in her second hand evening dress purchased for £27. She’ll resell it next week. 

Daughter has told me of cost of graduation etc dresses/outfits that peers parents have paid for over the years. She doesn’t feel deprived at all.....we’ve both saved money buying other people’s expensive mistakes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Battenberg said:

Some of the mothers hired black tie. Son wore black school trousers, white shirt and tie for the whole 2 hour experience. A couple of the wealthy yummy mummy types did a whip round for a limo.

It's not for the kids, it's for the (mental) parents. It's the same illness as people who dress up their dogs/cats in little outfits. Or monkeys!

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MrPin said:

Some fucker here made me buy a ukulele and the GF songbook.

Does it contain the tab to his biggest hit, "You Sexy Muthaf....."? 

1 hour ago, LC1 said:

It's not for the kids, it's for the (mental) parents. It's the same illness as people who dress up their dogs/cats in little outfits. Or monkeys!

spacer.png

spacer.png

3, 1, 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

The children are victims of mass marketing that relies on the egos of competing parents. thick mothers.

Im not sure when this prom thing started.

There was a leavers disco after my O levels.  I didnt go. Id had enough of that school by then. In the ~1month between the last exam and the dsico Id sorted out a job for a few months and was getting decent money. And drinking in pubs, so the idea of going back to a school, being overseen by the knock kneed weirdos and perverts that made up the teaching staff *and* not being able to drink did not have a lot of appeal.

How and where the leavers party/disco turned into the chav/pikey  festival with hired Lambo and helicopters and Disney princess  started ... dotn know. Theres probably some fat arsed butt ugly single mum and a loan shark involved.

As my time as guvnor, ive done the termly disco for the various years,. Thats fine. They turn up, i nthe ir home clothes, pay £1, have some juice and sweeties. and arse around the school hall.

I did slap down some daft bint - fat butt ugly single mum - who wanted a 'graduation ceremony' on the kids leaving the Y2 -> Y3. She wanted a certificate, gowns, mortar board and expensive photo. Shed seen it in mag or telly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, spygirl said:

did slap down some daft bint - fat butt ugly single mum - who wanted a 'graduation ceremony' on the kids leaving the Y2 -> Y3. She wanted a certificate, gowns, mortar board and expensive photo. Shed seen it in mag or telly.

That's more the "prizes for everybody" culture; the ultimate form over substance.

Graduation was what happened when, after sixteen years of education and thousands of hours of hard academic study you finally obtained your degree from a decent university.

Now it's mickey mouse tech colleges, schools and even non-academic "citizenship" courses that hold graduation ceremonies with full gown and mortar board yet with often little cause better than being one year older.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By One percent
      Didn’t know what title to give this. I did think ‘would ccc’ but thought it incredibly rude so didn’t. 
      Anyhow, make up your own mind
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5373513/Dog-sex-woman-insists-did-not-way.html
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.