• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
The Grey Man

Wonderfood from the past that might actually be shite

This could also read as shite food from the past that has yet to kill me.

I know items have been mentioned adhoc in other topics but not specifically.

Noticed this in supermarket...Vesta Chow Mein. Think my mother brought the double pack for me and siblings to share. Hadnt realised it was still around.

It was an experience cooking the packet as a teen...them crispy noodles only worked when you were at chip pan fire heat.

Sure zero nutrition in them.  It was the noodle frying that made it.

The other mentioned elsewhere...dreaded marg...glad I thought the stuff was rank and never ate.

Easy one pot noodles..still going strong..not bad if on offer but I always end up putting other sauce in and I have to be on full lazy mode to eat.

Goblins steak and kidney pies...or...the dreaded tinned Goblin...burger...not sure they even labelled it meat.

Plus lard. Beef lard.

There was always a pan solidified in the kitchen. Normally just for chips.

Mother did pork chops in a roasting tin with the lard...you used to get these strange meat bubbles on top that I have never seen since.

Toasted sarnie was a fave as well as doing toast under the grill. Much better for adding and making toast creations.

These have been recreated? In shops Itallian sounding name...Toastie all the same.

20190709_173602.jpg

4 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

This could also read as shite food from the past that has yet to kill me.

I know items have been mentioned adhoc in other topics but not specifically.

Noticed this in supermarket...Vesta Chow Mein. Think my mother brought the double pack for me and siblings to share. Hadnt realised it was still around.

It was an experience cooking the packet as a teen...them crispy noodles only worked when you were at chip pan fire heat.

Sure zero nutrition in them.  It was the noodle frying that made it.

The other mentioned elsewhere...dreaded marg...glad I thought the stuff was rank and never ate.

Easy one pot noodles..still going strong..not bad if on offer but I always end up putting other sauce in and I have to be on full lazy mode to eat.

Goblins steak and kidney pies...or...the dreaded tinned Goblin...burger...not sure they even labelled it meat.

Plus lard. Beef lard.

There was always a pan solidified in the kitchen. Normally just for chips.

Mother did pork chops in a roasting tin with the lard...you used to get these strange meat bubbles on top that I have never seen since.

Toasted sarnie was a fave as well as doing toast under the grill. Much better for adding and making toast creations.

These have been recreated? In shops Itallian sounding name...Toastie all the same.

20190709_173602.jpg

Not so sure lard should be on your list.  Seems that using vegetable oil is worse for your health than lard.

I grew up on full on working class fare. Fray Bentos pies, Findus crispy pancakes, burnt my mouth on them evil bastards a few times. NASA ended up using the casing as insulation in the space suit, so good was it at retaining heat. Turkey burgers, 'yoghurts' that were just some kind of rhubarb flavoured sugary concoction, cheap digestive biscuits, beans, cheap sausages that were more sawdust and pigs cock than meat, plenty of chips done in a proper chip pan with Lard, everything fried (a whole chicken breast, fried, wtf?), Tinned ratatouille, tinned spaghetti Bolognese, tinned veg, tinned fruit with carnation milk, an endless list of food I wouldn't touch with a barge pole these days, let alone feed it to my kids.

Have to say though, put plenty of lead in my pencil.

Due to our proximity to a number of cheap food shops we sometimes recreate these childhood nightmares. Only yesterday for tea we had frozen sausages, curly fries and tinned spaghetti.

Just now, eight said:

Due to our proximity to a number of cheap food shops we sometimes recreate these childhood nightmares. Only yesterday for tea we had frozen sausages, curly fries and tinned spaghetti.

Tinned spaghetti in tomato sauce, luvverly. 

1 minute ago, eight said:

Chef!

7 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I grew up on full on working class fare. Fray Bentos pies, Findus crispy pancakes, burnt my mouth on them evil bastards a few times. NASA ended up using the casing as insulation in the space suit, so good was it at retaining heat. Turkey burgers, 'yoghurts' that were just some kind of rhubarb flavoured sugary concoction, cheap digestive biscuits, beans, cheap sausages that were more sawdust and pigs cock than meat, plenty of chips done in a proper chip pan with Lard, everything fried (a whole chicken breast, fried, wtf?), Tinned ratatouille, tinned spaghetti Bolognese, tinned veg, tinned fruit with carnation milk, an endless list of food I wouldn't touch with a barge pole these days, let alone feed it to my kids.

Thing is, we’re you fat on that diet?  Yet people today don’t eat that stuff (I did) and yet pile on the pounds. What exactly are they putting in food now that we clearly didn’t have? 

Still have an addiction to tins.

Its that survival bit..out of a job...parents out working and need tea....just in case...blah..blah.

My tastes my have changed but I just carnt stop buying junk tins.

I end up throwing it out after several years.

Am partial to deep fried frozen scum sausages.

An Irish brand but in last 6 months price has gone from a a quid to 1.20.

No justification for me to pay a kings ransome of a twenty percent hike.

Yeah 20p.....its the the principle.

That stuff is gulity treats or pure bone idleness mode. Guilty.

20190709_185954.jpg

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Thing is, we’re you fat on that diet?  Yet people today don’t eat that stuff (I did) and yet pile on the pounds. What exactly are they putting in food now that we clearly didn’t have? 

Nothing on me. But I was never in the house and was never sat still. I used to finish my paper rounds (I did 4 on a Sunday) on a Sunday morning, get back home, do a massive fry up for myself (and I mean massive) then be back out of the house at 8.30am to go and play rugby. Get back home at 1.30, have my Sunday dinner then back out at 2.30 until it was time to go in. 

My son wouldn't get dressed and see daylight unless I cajoled him. He'd sit on his Xbox all day long. Every day.

19 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

The food of the Gods.

With a side of Dandelion and Burdock. The only things that made a caravan holiday acceptable.

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

The food of the Gods.

With a side of Dandelion and Burdock. The only things that made a caravan holiday acceptable.

Except for the chunks of pear. I hated them little bastards. The tangerines on the other hand... so tart and sweet and delicious that they used to bring me out in a sweat :D

13 minutes ago, One percent said:

A good portion of the calories people consumed in th e past w ere consumed just keeping warm 

8 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Nothing on me. But I was never in the house and was never sat still. I used to finish my paper rounds (I did 4 on a Sunday) on a Sunday morning, get back home, do a massive fry up for myself (and I mean massive) then be back out of the house at 8.30am to go and play rugby. Get back home at 1.30, have my Sunday dinner then back out at 2.30 until it was time to go in. 

My son wouldn't get dressed and see daylight unless I cajoled him. He'd sit on his Xbox all day long. Every day.

10 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

You do realise that this isn't Facebook you are posting on?

😁😁😁

12 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I did not sit still long as a kid but that was because everywhere from home to school was often bloody freezing. Shivering waiting  for my parents to get a coal fire burning must have burned thousands of calories. 

2 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

Alaskan roll

Is that like Arctic Roll? Farmfoods still sell all that shite to this day. Also Frys Bars, three for a pound. I might have mentioned this once or twice before.

1 minute ago, The Grey Man said:

Tinned fruit.

This is for trifle.

Always fresh fruit n veg as a kid.

Tin was opened on the day.

20190709_192942.jpg

Tinned fruit cocktail in my mum’s Sherry trifle. I’ve never been able to recreate it. Bloody wonderful. 

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Tinned fruit cocktail in my mum’s Sherry trifle. I’ve never been able to recreate it. Bloody wonderful. 

For some strange reason Lidl's tins of fruit cocktail used to be improbably large. Alas they have gone all conventional now.