• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Roger_Mellie

Stuff wot I say

The breakfast, dinner and tea thing got me thinking earlier. Couple of things I say that have made me the butt of jokes for many years (not least my wife and kids taking the piss), so I thought I'd do a quick straw poll amongst the learned Dosboderati. Is it just me that says these things?

1. Use of the word 'while' instead of 'until' i.e. someone says 'when is it open' and I reply '10 while 2'. Seems perfectly normal to me, I'm sure this was in regular use where I grew up. But no one I know now uses it in this way. 

2. Pronunciation of the word 'werewolf'. I pronounce it 'weerwolf', which everyone seems to think is wrong. But I stand by it.

20 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

The breakfast, dinner and tea thing got me thinking earlier. Couple of things I say that have made me the butt of jokes for many years (not least my wife and kids taking the piss), so I thought I'd do a quick straw poll amongst the learned Dosboderati. Is it just me that says these things?

1. Use of the word 'while' instead of 'until' i.e. someone says 'when is it open' and I reply '10 while 2'. Seems perfectly normal to me, I'm sure this was in regular use where I grew up. But no one I know now uses it in this way. 

2. Pronunciation of the word 'werewolf'. I pronounce it 'weerwolf', which everyone seems to think is wrong. But I stand by it.

1 Never heard of that, and wouldn't have a clue what you meant if you said that. 

2 I'm not sure if my pronunciation is correct, but I'd say it like warewolf, like warehouse. 

I'm breakfast, lunch and tea, I might call tea dinner sometimes, but not ordinarily. 

If someone said "dinnertime" I'd likely think they meant what is call teatime- 5/6/7pm ish. 

You have your dinner at lunchtime? (!)

For comparison, I would say I was born middle class, and have moved mostly downwards since, I like to think I can speak to princes and paupers.

Just now, Panther said:

1. Weird

2. Weird

All my whittering away in my post above could have been made a lot more concise, but maybe not by that much though.

You've gone full on minimalist with that one.

xD

37 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Your wife and kids are correct.

4 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

What kind of fresh grammatical hell is this?

:D

Going to spend a few days at home amongst the good folk of a small patch of West Yorkshire and see if I can draw someone into saying it. Otherwise it might just be me!

I do remember saying it to someone not long after I first went to uni and them just going 'eh?' so I repeated it and he says 'eh? Ten while two? What does that mean?'. And I was just really confused, cause it's obvious. I thought he was just a posh retarded cunt from Kidderminster. Turns out it might have been me. 

Just now, Roger_Mellie said:

:D

Going to spend a few days at home amongst the good folk of a small patch of West Yorkshire and see if I can draw someone into saying it. Otherwise it might just be me!

I do remember saying it to someone not long after I first went to uni and them just going 'eh?' so I repeated it and he says 'eh? Ten while two? What does that mean?'. And I was just really confused, cause it's obvious. I thought he was just a posh retarded cunt from Kidderminster. Turns out it might have been me. 

I think that is the birthplace of James O'Brian.

I would therefore ignore anything he says.

21 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Anyone else say, ‘five and twenty past’ or ‘five and twenty to’?

I think your parents may have been German. Best you check, just in case.

1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

1. Used to hear that a lot when I lived in South Yorkshire

The question is, how familiar do you have to be with someone before you ask why they're pronouncing that word incorrectly? For example,  I know someone who pronounces slugs as sloogs, and they're not northern. It bothers me but not enough to say anything.

Posted (edited)

Have heard the while thing but not a lot.

Still a lot of regional slang/terms that don’t travel but a lot less.

I’d say a lot of the southern ones like ‘where’s that to?’ people from the north can work out but southerners struggle with all sorts from the north like mardy or mither.

I’m pretty good on accents and the part time uni students often get totally freaked out when I guess where they’re from, they say something like ‘I dinn’t even think I ad a Brizzle axe-sent’.

Edited by SNACR

The one that really grinds my gears is yanks calling a buoy a boo-eee - what the actual fuck?

12 minutes ago, spunko said:

The question is, how familiar do you have to be with someone before you ask why they're pronouncing that word incorrectly? For example,  I know someone who pronounces slugs as sloogs, and they're not northern. It bothers me but not enough to say anything.

Third base minimum

From South Yorkshire and ‘10 while 2’ is totally normal to me. Remember going to University and people from the south and the north east both finding it funny.

Yes, I've heard 'while' instead of 'until' in Yorkshire too...

Hence the joke about the crash on the A1 caused by a sign that said "Slow down while lights flash"....

I also had the Yorkshire version of Windows on my computer - which said "Please wait while your computer shuts down" instead of "Please wait until your computer shuts down"

2 minutes ago, eight said:

I used to know a Pakistani who insisted on using open/close the light, rather than turn it on and off.

Not just lights - but anything electrical; "Open the computer," was interestingly ambiguous when I first heard it in the Gulf...