• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

sarahbell

Alexa diagnose me

Posted (edited)

Nowadays most NHS doctors just Google your symptoms themselves anyway, when they think you can't see their monitor, so probably. :wanker:

Edited by spunko

7 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Are gps really suggesting people ask Alexa?

Headline in one of the papers apparently.

Give it a couple of years.

The BMA are striking forth removal of computers from the NHS.

Our members have trained hard, its only right they are paid 100k./y a year for googling synptons.

The use ofcomptuers i nth NHS is denying health access to OAPS, who rely on their over paid GP to chat to everyday.

8 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Give it a couple of years.

Surely in a couple of years, the OAPs will be able to just talk to their Alexa for hours on end instead of taking up 'real' people's time and energy?

At that point, a large number of GPs will be redundant. But that's OK, they'll be eligible for a very generous early retirement package...

It is my understanding that Amazon isn't allowed to monetise or otherwise use the data, but it does collect all data and undertake extensive data mining on it.  This is extremely concerning.

Oh, to be involved in the programming of that thing and deciding what responses to give to "stock questions":

"Alexa, what is wrong with me?"
"Where do you want me to start?"

Posted (edited)

Alexa listens to and processes everything you say so I'd expect it to start booking appointments proactively sooner or later.

Edited by kibuc

There's a GP on R4 at moment (5.50am) whos doing this huge pitch on how GPs are better tha AI as they have a 6th sense.

Now I dont think AI is close-  yet.

However, a computer simply taking another number of tests and applying simple stats probability is going to be better than your GP.

Yesterday had a report that it takes a month see a GP,.

GP, on the whole, are shit.

Why don't they just connect the NHS 111 number straight to Alexa?

Everyone has a phone - it's just that not everyone has a computer or internet connection.

BOOM the world's problems are solved.

7 minutes ago, 201p said:

Why don't they just connect the NHS 111 number straight to Alexa?

Everyone has a phone - it's just that not everyone has a computer or internet connection.

BOOM the world's problems are solved.

Its worse that - at least for NHS workers.

Most people can read and follow text.

Most people can google.

Why not have walk in HP where you can serve or test yourself?

I certainly think it is the future where people serve themselves, a lot of minor ailments get better by themselves anyway. It just needs somebody or a AI to tell you that.  If you've had a problem more than 2-3 weeks it's probably more serious and you need to be seen by a person. Don't doctors send you away with paracetamol and tell you to come back in 3 weeks if no better anyway? They aren't going to send you away for expensive scans straight away for a plain cough.

"Aww there there, you'll be better soon. It sounds like a nasty rhinovirus infection (a common cold), have a warm drink and rest"

This goes a long way to making someone "feel" better.

Oddly pertinent thread.

We were all having dinner last night and I've got an iPhone in some speakers near the table.

As we were talking, the word Alexa was mentioned and fuck me if my phone didn't introduce itself as such. Confused, I asked it to play a tune and play it it did.

Sounds unremarkable but we had absolutely no idea that we even had the Alexa facility on the phone at all. I'm assuming it comes with amazon membership but I genuinely had no idea that the stealthy cow was even in my dining room.

The kids were delighted and I need to sort their fire tablet out as she's on there too and small children music requests are usually garbled which would hopefully explain why some hideous gangsta rap started suddenly playing from their peppa pig decorated tablet. 

6 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Sounds unremarkable but we had absolutely no idea that we even had the Alexa facility on the phone at all.

DOSBODS SECURITY BREACH ALERT!!!!

Now talk us through exactly what you've been saying.  Take your time.  Leave nothing out.  Meanwhile, Spunko lock the doors and One Percent, get ready with a torrent of distracting posts.

1 minute ago, Harley said:

DOSBODS SECURITY BREACH ALERT!!!!

Now talk us through exactly what you've been saying.  Take your time.  Leave nothing out.  Meanwhile, Spunko lock the doors and One Percent, get ready with a torrent of distracting posts.

:D

It is a bit of a fucking liberty to be honest. It's like finding Jeff Bezos hiding under your table taking notes.

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

There's a GP on R4 at moment (5.50am) whos doing this huge pitch on how GPs are better tha AI as they have a 6th sense.

Now I dont think AI is close-  yet.

However, a computer simply taking another number of tests and applying simple stats probability is going to be better than your GP.

Yesterday had a report that it takes a month see a GP,.

GP, on the whole, are shit.

Then that GP is obviously too stupid and ignorant to hold a medical license.

Smart GPs must hate going through the self scan section of their local supermarket.  The one with a single employee to supervise, QA, and handle any exceptions.  That's the future my son, right there.

PS: Personally, from a QA POV, I would not be happy if my GP was not following a diagnosing script, like say a car mechanic, instead thinking they were some romantic form of "House".

PPS: I like my young GP who just says "Right, let's go on Google and have a look"! Smart.

Edited by Harley

Apple seem to think that scanning through the photos I took last weekend, putting them together in a slide show with a backing track and (correctly) identifying it as 'your dinner party weekend in Cornwall'  isn't creepy at all.

It then goes further and carries out facial recognition on all of the people there and creates an album for each of them.

I think this is aspergers behaviour creeping out of silicone valley into tech. Zero thought into what may make people feel uncomfortable.

Weirdos.