• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Wight Flight

What do you hoard?

Recommended Posts

This is different from the stockpile thread. Stockpiling is buying a load of stuff you will use one day.

Hoarding is keeping stuff just in case you find a use for it.

I have far, far too many charging cables, connecting cables and just sundry cables.

Mainly for now defunct equipment. But I still think one day I might just need one. Except I have so many the chance of finding the one I need is remote. (Incidentally, I also seem to hoard remotes)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have far too many oil lamps. I also collect cables in case they "come in handy". I also held on to the power controller for a VAX 11/750 computer for years, and it didn't come in useful at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Nothing.

Perhaps because my mum used to, and still does, hoard everything.

I think it's just "that generation", and you are younger than I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mainly timber, metals, bricks, screws and fixings and generally anything that can be turned into something useful or used to repair something. Plus old tools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a bit of a traditionalist so I hoard gold, silver, jewels, crowns and skulls of fallen heroes. I do worry about dwarves breaking in to my lair though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Memories. A lot of them. I try to laugh at the bad ones, and enjoy the good ones. I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but revelling in the good ones is better than dwelling on the others.

....and the requisite "man drawer" of stuff that is no use in the modern world, Iphone 3gs charger anyone? I'm not giving away mind :-)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything.

It might be useful one day.

It might be worth something.

New house. Cellar. Tidied it up and now one room brimming. I dont want to spread further so have to tidy.

Guilty as Mrs G ...who moaned at me for years...now does the same.

Try and have a yearly sort though.

Its some wierd feeling..so powerful..of just in case.

Its mostly kitchen..travel...items..clothes.

But with kids growing up now think..this will do for them...waste to get rid.

A million projects..this might do for something.

I have been in serious hoarders houses...serious...its all lined up in boxes with narrow alley ways between rooms

Usually organised but heaps of stuff....the severe folk extend this to rubbish

Leaving a small bit for seating. Kitchen usually non functional.

I bear this in mind. I dont want that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kwyjibo said:

Memories. A lot of them. I try to laugh at the bad ones, and enjoy the good ones. I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but revelling in the good ones is better than dwelling on the others.

....and the requisite "man drawer" of stuff that is no use in the modern world, Iphone 3gs charger anyone? I'm not giving away mind :-)

 

Bugger. I have an iPhone 3 and am down to my last three leads.

Would you consider swapsies for a Nokia 1640 lead and a Vic 20 power cable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Bugger. I have an iPhone 3 and am down to my last three leads.

Would you consider swapsies for a Nokia 1640 lead and a Vic 20 power cable?

I’ve just found the footpedle for a sowing machine any takers before I bin

it 

02F803E5-388B-40F8-A74F-79957970C4D9.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In common with @The Grey Man pretty much everything.

I accepted twenty odd years ago after a move that I both had a ridiculous number of possesions and that I wouldn't throw anything away that had a possible use.

Leaving me with just the one control option: stop buying things.

I don't not buy things because I don't want to spend the money, there are loads of things I would really like to buy, but because I know that I won't then throw something else out.

Steadily my clothes and shoes are marginally reducing in number, as are my pens and other staitionery, light bulbs, and so on.

Maybe in forty years' time I will have a sensible amount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Various common themes already expressed, but a few more:

- Allen keys from furniture kits - do I really need 10 of the same size?

- bubble wrap, large plastics bags, packaging materials generally.  For ebaying or moving house.

- old duvets.

- small screw drivers and nail clippers from xmas crackers.

- old cable ties.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

In common with @The Grey Man pretty much everything.

I accepted twenty odd years ago after a move that I both had a ridiculous number of possesions and that I wouldn't throw anything away that had a possible use.

Leaving me with just the one control option: stop buying things.

I don't not buy things because I don't want to spend the money, there are loads of things I would really like to buy, but because I know that I won't then throw something else out.

Steadily my clothes and shoes are marginally reducing in number, as are my pens and other staitionery, light bulbs, and so on.

Maybe in forty years' time I will have a sensible amount.

In total agreement.

Things like I have over 50 ties. I might now wear a tie once a year. I could throw 48 of them away and still have a choice. But I haven't.

1 minute ago, GARCH said:

Various common themes already expressed, but a few more:

- Allen keys from furniture kits - do I really need 10 of the same size?

- bubble wrap, large plastics bags, packaging materials generally.  For ebaying or moving house.

- old duvets.

- small screw drivers and nail clippers from xmas crackers.

- old cable ties.

 

I think we are all guilty on that count.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

In total agreement.

Things like I have over 50 ties. I might now wear a tie once a year. I could throw 48 of them away and still have a choice. But I haven't.

You can send me 2 I will have 3 then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

You will need 4 for a decent bondage session.

(Or so i am told)

Fuck.

I have a ton of ties.

20 years ago it was fine to have comedy ones or cartoons.

Somehow I have accrued loads.

Just carnt give them up.

Not that I wear them either.

Edited by The Grey Man
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.