• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Funeral costs

Recommended Posts

These are a minimum of about eight grand.

Go back fifty years and it was a matter of pride for people to have their own funeral plan, via the co-op, so as not to be a burden upon their family.

This doesn't seem to happen any more with the most recent example, that prompted me to post this, being an actress who was in Willy Wonka as linked below (Violet Beauregarde in the Gene Wilder version).

I have seen other examples in the press where "gofundme" is being used to pay because the family has no money.

There has also been a big rise in "pauper burials" where the council pays.  These are for people with no relations to pay for their funeral rather than freebies but people still whinge about not getting the ashes despite not paying.

I see this as more of the creeping infantilisation of the population along the lines of "They Live"; a sheeplike population of consumers permanently reliant upon the state for help whenever anything goes wrong.

 

spacer.png

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/celebs-tv/willy-wonka-star-denise-nickerson-3078359

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I’ve spent my entire life on the piss fighting and womanising and being a total cunt and being irresponsible and guess what it was fucking fun but I decided to calm dowm

 and buy a house 6 years ago ok I owe 8.4 k on the morgage total amount in the bank 7.4 k if I die serps owe 30 k life insurence clears the morgage net result close to 90k after my chattels are sold for fuck all bunch of idiots even dafter than me the house was 49 k

Edited by stokiescum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

 "They Live"; a sheeplike population of consumers permanently reliant upon the state for help whenever anything goes wrong.

F.

I never realised how this movie would influence me and my brothers.

It still does.

Damn. Its just so close to the day where your taxed at your death bed and you leave nothing.

You work and they pay you an allowance...the gov pays... Not your boss.

Creeping statism.

Following this line of thought...it will be a further tax deduction for folk to ensure burial..or cremation.

All funerals via state approved financed bodies..pardon the pun.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"But we need help. We cannot afford to pay for death expenses. Although she had the fame and notoriety, there is no inheritance. No life insurance. No end of life nest egg. Just our income which isn't even enough.

"And Denise's wish is to be cremated and her ashes made into a piece of glass art. We will need to urgently pay for these things as well as need help with our home expenses. Rent, bills, groceries.

Really??? She was only in one film as a teen.

Cant they just take her to the nearest Cadbury plant and shove her up a tube?

Pikeyification of lifes events. 20-30 years ago, most pople would be OK with a cremation and 1k buffer at a local pub/social centre.

Now they want a procession of jet black horses and women throwing themselves under the wheels of the hearse.

Going thru this at the mo with a recently dead Uncle. Ill let you know how much it costs as Im doing it. Well, my mums meant to be doing it, which means Im doing it.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stokiescum said:

I’ve spent my entire life on the piss fighting and womanising and being a total cunt and being irresponsible and guess what it was fucking fun but I decided to calm dowm

 and buy a house 6 years ago ok I owe 8.4 k on the morgage total amount in the bank 7.4 k if I die serps owe 30 k life insurence clears the morgage net result close to 90k after my chattels are sold for fuck all bunch of idiots even dafter than me the house was 49 k

dear oh dear stokey, admit it - you are sensible.

Seriously, compared to various people I know whove died, old n young, you are eminently sensible and have it all played out.

I had to deal with a relation who died. Absolutely no fucking idea of what to happen - no will, no idea of money, none of he kids were even interested in coming over to piss on her grave, so my mum had o deal with it, which means I had to do it.

Went thru everything, and it was like, fuck, we're going to have to pay ~3k to get the cow into the crem.

In the end, there was about 10k in various cash left, so that paid for the bruning her and a meal for her 2 friends.

Gave hte rest to the kids, who did not want the money. So cancer research was up 5k.

 

 

6 hours ago, The Grey Man said:

F.

I never realised how this movie would influence me and my brothers.

It still does.

Damn. Its just so close to the day where your taxed at your death bed and you leave nothing.

You work and they pay you an allowance...the gov pays... Not your boss.

Creeping statism.

Following this line of thought...it will be a further tax deduction for folk to ensure burial..or cremation.

All funerals via state approved financed bodies..pardon the pun.

 

 

 

Do you keep geeses? Geeses that lay golden eggs?

Or are you both really really fat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

These are a minimum of about eight grand.

Don't know what pricing is like across the industry, but I do know of a green burial ground (these have been rising in popularity for around the last 20 years) where I think you could be done and dusted all in for around £1500. Of course, a lot of people still book via funeral directors who get to keep the other £6.5k. Mr Hovis' point remains in that there are no doubt plenty of people around that would not be able to come up with £1500 either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think my sisters and I will face a similar hurdle when our dad's time comes. He has a cancer diagnosis but carries on like nothing's wrong. None of us are rolling in money (although I am trying to rectify my own situation). He owns his house outright which can be sold or bought out by one of us but of course the funeral directors will want paying before this can happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

Don't know what pricing is like across the industry, but I do know of a green burial ground (these have been rising in popularity for around the last 20 years) where I think you could be done and dusted all in for around £1500. Of course, a lot of people still book via funeral directors who get to keep the other £6.5k. Mr Hovis' point remains in that there are no doubt plenty of people around that would not be able to come up with £1500 either.

15yo spy jf has ~25k in his kid ISA.

12yo spy has ~20k in hers.

That was all the money they were given, no huge amounts but a couple of k each.

And me putting 100/m in.

Ive  just found out that 14yo spy has ~225k more cash than one of mrs spys posh friends whove just gone under.

They are also much richer than most of the people ive spoken to in the pub.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

I think my sisters and I will face a similar hurdle when our dad's time comes. He has a cancer diagnosis but carries on like nothing's wrong. None of us are rolling in money (although I am trying to rectify my own situation). He owns his house outright which can be sold or bought out by one of us but of course the funeral directors will want paying before this can happen.

It's a difficult time but this is one issue that I very much don't regard as a wealth / class thing but as a general reversal in our society where there has become a fingers-in-the-ears approach to anything difficult or unpleasant.

This has been encouraged by the state in its ever-spreading means-testing which actively discourages people from having such rainy day savings because it wants them to be reliant upon it as part of a subservient mass.

Add to this the general sanitisation of society which serves to prevent people from confronting such difficult issues (including myself, my pension advisor suggested I should have a will but it seems such a big step) and you have problems crystallising without any preparation made and then falling upon any responsible and solvent family members to sort out (as Spy above).

And if there are no such family members then it's the gofundme route.

This is one problem that is only going to get worse. Where it has been covered by the press the focus has been purely upon the rising cost of funerals but that misses the point; funerals have always been expensive but people used to make their own provision for them via a funeral plan or savings depending upon their wealth.

Now that is rare and instead they leave sorting it all out to the next generation who are even less capable of dealing with it.

I can see it going the route of a state funeral service which the government will love as it gives them control over you even beyond death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

These are a minimum of about eight grand.

£4K co-op for cremation/funeral. They did a very good job when I used them this year for my step-father.

I know someone who was left to medical science this year, they just came and collected the body for free.

For the dosbods skinflinterati, I suppose you could cremate the body yourself and use it to heat for your house......

"A 70 kg man contains about 12 kg of fat and 12 kg of protein. The rest is mainly water and minerals. Fat produces 39 kJ/g in a bomb calorimeter; protein produces 23 kJ/g. That's 744 MJ in total. You'll also get a small contribution (just a few MJ) from carbohydrate stores in the liver and muscle, so 750 MJ is a nice round figure not too far from the mark."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrPin said:

I imagine I won't give a shit about money, when I've croaked.

Of course not.

But you leave a whole host of problems for your grieving relatives when you do croak if you make no preparations.

Which is pretty selfish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being as more and more people are atheist these days why the need for an expensive religious burial attended by a load of cunts the deceased had no time for when alive.

I'd like to sell my body parts upon death if its possible, with the rest being burnt on the cheap somewhere and then the ashes thrown into the air from a large hill on a windy day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's a difficult time but this is one issue that I very much don't regard as a wealth / class thing but as a general reversal in our society where there has become a fingers-in-the-ears approach to anything difficult or unpleasant.

This has been encouraged by the state in its ever-spreading means-testing which actively discourages people from having such rainy day savings because it wants them to be reliant upon it as part of a subservient mass.

Add to this the general sanitisation of society which serves to prevent people from confronting such difficult issues (including myself, my pension advisor suggested I should have a will but it seems such a big step) and you have problems crystallising without any preparation made and then falling upon any responsible and solvent family members to sort out (as Spy above).

And if there are no such family members then it's the gofundme route.

This is one problem that is only going to get worse. Where it has been covered by the press the focus has been purely upon the rising cost of funerals but that misses the point; funerals have always been expensive but people used to make their own provision for them via a funeral plan or savings depending upon their wealth.

Now that is rare and instead they leave sorting it all out to the next generation who are even less capable of dealing with it.

I can see it going the route of a state funeral service which the government will love as it gives them control over you even beyond death.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/05/15/nyregion/new-york-mass-graves-hart-island.html

Nah. 

Burlap sacks, digger, bingo!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spygirl said:

Ive  just found out that 14yo spy has ~225k more cash than one of mrs spys posh friends whove just gone under.

I hope that's another typo O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tdog said:

I'd like to sell my body parts upon death if its possible, 

Apparently it's much more lucrative to sell them upon birth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, LC1 said:

I hope that's another typo O.o

Ah you didnt read it correctly!

Hes got 25k positive in assets.

The posh friends are in the shitter for 200k more than they have.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

These are a minimum of about eight grand.

Go back fifty years and it was a matter of pride for people to have their own funeral plan, via the co-op, so as not to be a burden upon their family.

This doesn't seem to happen any more with the most recent example, that prompted me to post this, being an actress who was in Willy Wonka as linked below (Violet Beauregarde in the Gene Wilder version).

I have seen other examples in the press where "gofundme" is being used to pay because the family has no money.

There has also been a big rise in "pauper burials" where the council pays.  These are for people with no relations to pay for their funeral rather than freebies but people still whinge about not getting the ashes despite not paying.

I see this as more of the creeping infantilisation of the population along the lines of "They Live"; a sheeplike population of consumers permanently reliant upon the state for help whenever anything goes wrong.

 

spacer.png

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/celebs-tv/willy-wonka-star-denise-nickerson-3078359

 

I hate to say, but its not just about the funeral

Perhaps a cash cow via GoFundme?

Quote

"And Denise's wish is to be cremated and her ashes made into a piece of glass art. We will need to urgently pay for these things as well as need help with our home expenses. Rent, bills, groceries.

"Jasmine is not working due to her caring for Denise and trying to apply for jobs while home sick and pregnant, and Josh is missing work from both jobs to be here in the hospital.

"We hate to ask but we desperately need help. We don't need flowers and or cards. We just need some peace of mind."

 

 Stinks IMO

 

Quote

This should be a happy time for us, but we are both sick with worry and now losing Denise. Stress is harming us both and putting our baby in danger too. We hate to ask but we desperately need help. We don't need flowers and or cards. We just need some peace of mind. It's 4 am now and we are saying our goodbyes and taking turns. If you can help us, we would be so very grateful. 

 

Stinks to high heaven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, spygirl said:

Ive  just found out that 14yo spy has ~225k more cash than one of mrs spys posh friends whove just gone under.

Ah, so this was the typo? I knew there had to be one ;)

14 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Ah you didnt read it correctly!

Hes got 25k positive in assets.

The posh friends are in the shitter for 200k more than they have.

A valuable life lesson in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dont think i paid more that 5K each for 2 over the years, me ma and pa, they are right next to each other in the graveyard, even though they couldnt stand each other, till death us do part, but not physically. We bought the next plot when me fatha kicked the bucket, but costs to open the plot, costs to fill it in, got to be someone alive holds the deed for the plot (or equivalent), niece works in co-op funeral so we got some discount, just gave it to her both times and they threw in free limo or 2.

Not cheap, but not excessive considering all in.

What about those £1500 cremations i saw advertised on the tube a few times years ago, are they still going?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

These are a minimum of about eight grand.

Go back fifty years and it was a matter of pride for people to have their own funeral plan, via the co-op, so as not to be a burden upon their family.

This doesn't seem to happen any more with the most recent example, that prompted me to post this, being an actress who was in Willy Wonka as linked below (Violet Beauregarde in the Gene Wilder version).

I have seen other examples in the press where "gofundme" is being used to pay because the family has no money.

There has also been a big rise in "pauper burials" where the council pays.  These are for people with no relations to pay for their funeral rather than freebies but people still whinge about not getting the ashes despite not paying.

I see this as more of the creeping infantilisation of the population along the lines of "They Live"; a sheeplike population of consumers permanently reliant upon the state for help whenever anything goes wrong.

 

spacer.png

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/celebs-tv/willy-wonka-star-denise-nickerson-3078359

My Dads funeral came to 4K in January. We kept it simple. Pine coffin. one funeral car. 

In addition there was another 1K to have the gravestone etched where my Mothers ashes are interred and the ashes interred. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still planning a musical mausolem, that shoots out laser beams at disco balls, and plays Abba.

3 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

My Dads funeral came to 4K in January. We kept it simple. Pine coffin. one funeral car. 

In addition there was another 1K to have the gravestone etched where my Mothers ashes are interred and the ashes interred. 

Same here, although we did get two limos, that blocked the A43 rather elegantly.O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume there are barriers to DIYing a funeral? I'm thinking pyre made from old pallets then maybe dig in the ashes. Corpse can fit in the back of my car no problem; seats down if I like'd them, if not just smash it in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.