DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 2)

spunko

15 minutes ago, JMD said:

I'm not an electrician, but would that kind of energy demand on street lighting circuits, even if using overnight trickle charging, work when there are 10's of millions of electric vehicles plugged in?

I did wonder that, no idea.

• Replies 35.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, JMD said:

I'm not an electrician, but would that kind of energy demand on street lighting circuits, even if using overnight trickle charging, work when there are 10's of millions of electric vehicles plugged in?

Read or heard something just this last week along the lines of replacing sodium vapour lamps with LED is at least part of it - the reduced current draw frees up current carrying capacity in the street lighting network which is then repurposed to charging.

26 minutes ago, JMD said:

Had a drink with a friend last year who's dad popped in for a few who is a electrician working more on the main power lines and we got onto the subject of EV's, he went on a rant about how fucking stupid and how the shitty old cables under the roads won't handle every one charging cars of of a evening

So fuck knows sure the government will fuck it up

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Barlcays pulled it range for 75% LTV.

Not sure if theyve acutally started writing these again.

https://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/news/barclays-to-pull-75-ltv-resi-deals-to-manage-demand/

Their min mortgages l9mit is stunning - 5k.

One of my current eye brow raising stats is checking what banks min mortgage is.

Most seem to want ~50k.

In some places that min will be a problem with MMR/incomes.

Are Coventry still offering a 10Y fix? 85% LTV still comes up on their search (but I realise doesn't necessarily mean you'll get anywhere applying)

https://www.coventrybuildingsociety.co.uk/consumer/product/mortgages/standard/fhx78.html

Average annual mileage was ~9000 in 2000.  
Question is what does that go back to.  And is the second car a thing of the past. 

image.png.3a07db6e763fb39aacd24deacca7344f.png

image.png.07d077e52b58cfc67f403058deace3f8.png

I've worked Ford for 25 years.  All major manufactures are moving towards cars as a service.  The total number of vehicles will fall.   

45 minutes ago, JMD said:

It would take a lot of government infrastructure investment.

23 minutes ago, feed said:

Average annual mileage was ~9000 in 2000.  
Question is what does that go back to.  And is the second car a thing of the past. 

image.png.3a07db6e763fb39aacd24deacca7344f.png

image.png.07d077e52b58cfc67f403058deace3f8.png

I've worked Ford for 25 years.  All major manufactures are moving towards cars as a service.  The total number of vehicles will fall.   

For those of us looking at energy plays though, the number of vehicles doesn't really matter - it's the miles travelled.

14 minutes ago, Hardhat said:

It would take a lot of government infrastructure investment.

Doesn’t have to be government infrastructure at point of charge.  Before COVID, I was hearing rumours that supermarkets where planning on investing in charging facilities in large out of town car parks.  As presumably they already have significant contracts with energy suppliers and if we do move to more of a grocery delivery service model, then presumably delivery fleet overnight charging. 

3 minutes ago, AWW said:

For those of us looking at energy plays though, the number of vehicles doesn't really matter - it's the miles travelled.

Agreed.  Just pointing out that the fall from 9000 to ~7000, from 2000, was offset by the increase in second car.  
Going forward, the number of miles will fall undoubtedly.  

People need to get away from thinking that this is just swapping ICE fueled at petrol stations for EV fueled from the grid.  It’s a business model change. 

1 hour ago, JMD said:

Plus you'll get all these 'hip-hop gentlemen' setting up block parties on every corner and using up all the power...

41 minutes ago, DoINeedOne said:

Had a drink with a friend last year who's dad popped in for a few who is a electrician working more on the main power lines and we got onto the subject of EV's, he went on a rant about how fucking stupid and how the shitty old cables under the roads won't handle every one charging cars of of a evening

So fuck knows sure the government will fuck it up

I'm sure he's correct. But In which case i guess it will become another one of those worthy infrastructure spending projects.

I admit i am biased, in that i simply can't foresee the charging of cars parked on the street - envisioning the cable hazard 'triggers me'! However, i didn't realise that the batteries were so/too? heavy to exchange easily at petrol (or whatever they will soon be called) stations. 

Actually think these are interesting discussions, because it shows how many practical 'problem areas' there are to resolve. Funny how these areas are so under-reported by our journalistic 'community'.

25 minutes ago, Hardhat said:

Back in the blue on BP :Beer:

Everything is on the rise this afternoon. Maybe I can start looking at second hand Cessna's? 

22 minutes ago, JMD said:

Funny how these areas are so under-reported by our journalistic 'community'.

It's essentially because journalists know nothing about nothing. How many time have you read an article about a subject you know something about? And it's complete rubbish. Apply this thinking to all articles, and you won't be far wrong.

31 minutes ago, JMD said:

I'm sure he's correct. But In which case i guess it will become another one of those worthy infrastructure spending projects.

I admit i am biased, in that i simply can't foresee the charging of cars parked on the street - envisioning the cable hazard 'triggers me'! However, i didn't realise that the batteries were so/too? heavy to exchange easily at petrol (or whatever they will soon be called) stations. 

Actually think these are interesting discussions, because it shows how many practical 'problem areas' there are to resolve. Funny how these areas are so under-reported by our journalistic 'community'.

It would work with lighter weight, posted this before in i think Vietnam you have scooters that just swap batteries over for fully charged ones

2 hours ago, Cattle Prod said:

access to capital. In that the renewable companies will be able to access the capital, and the oilies won't. I think it's a fair challenge to the self reinforcement we are giving ourselves here and worth considering.

Absolutely worth keeping in mind in clown world.  

2 hours ago, JMD said:

It's not as if each streetlight has its own cable either, they are daisy-chained.  So what load will be on the first 'link' in a chain of streetlights all pulling enough current to charge a car?  

I said it was absolute bollocks somewhere else on DOSBODS and got told I was wrong and couldn't be bothered arguing.  A normal streetlight bulb draws about 70 watts I think.  So let's a say an LED is half that, 35 watts of 'spare' capacity. 

1 hour ago, Cattle Prod said:

I heard Marin Katusa say this on a recent Macrovoices podcast, in the context of access to capital. In that the renewable companies will be able to access the capital, and the oilies won't. I think it's a fair challenge to the self reinforcement we are giving ourselves here and worth considering.

What I can't get past though is the world collapsing first due to unsustainably high oil prices. And if they no one will lend to the oilies, they can finance out of cash flow which will be huge. This theory is predicated on 2 assumptions: 1) permananet demand loss and 2) no coming supply problems. 

Oops, bad form of me for not mentioning Marin Katusa as the source. He does seem a serious type of commodity analyst, though i did find the after-interview comments made by the macro-voices host interesting. I haven't heard a financial pod-cast host questioning the veracity of a guest before, reminding me that personal agendas can cloud thinking also (not saying that was happening, but just maybe Katusa is more focused on the industrial commods needed for renewable infrastructure?). 

Having said that, Katusa's point about 'easy' lending for the renewables was i think a powerful one. That's why i would include that factor into the other moving parts, namely Biden winning, political virtue-signaling, massive directed MMT, and institutional money exiting the oil sector. It adds up to a worrying emerging trend... But if our contrarian oil investment bet does work out, we will surely be 'well' deserving of every dividend and hyper cash-flowed capitol return coming our way!

1 hour ago, feed said:

Doesn’t have to be government infrastructure at point of charge.  Before COVID, I was hearing rumours that supermarkets where planning on investing in charging facilities in large out of town car parks.  As presumably they already have significant contracts with energy suppliers and if we do move to more of a grocery delivery service model, then presumably delivery fleet overnight charging. 

It's complicated isn't it. i.e. More home delivery will mean less customers visiting the actual store, therefore would charging facilities be that useful? Then again, i suppose 'every little helps', as one supermarket slogan used to state.

52 minutes ago, JMD said:

IHowever, i didn't realise that the batteries were so/too? heavy to exchange easily at petrol (or whatever they will soon be called) stations. 

They're only too heavy for people to change. I could foresee driving over a cradle that drops the battery out of the floor then driving forwards onto a machine that lifts a new battery into place.

Or, the machines we travel around in become smaller and lighter, more akin to a Renault Twizy or a BMW C1, with batteries that humans can lift and carry.

11 minutes ago, JMD said:

It's complicated isn't it. i.e. More home delivery will mean less customers visiting the actual store, therefore would charging facilities be that useful? Then again, i suppose 'every little helps', as one supermarket slogan used to state.

It is. It’s complete change in business model.  But I think it’s where we should be looking for the investment in infrastructure for EV’s.  Not central government or energy suppliers per se. and not household.  It'll be where vehicles congregate naturally.  I did here of one council thinking about it, to draw people into their park and ride. Obvious really, but I’d be surprised if they were nimble enough to do it.  

As per the supermarkets, I think they will invest, to either recharge their fleet or to draw in customers, and nationally the major players must be able to negotiate good energy costs.    

Chewing Grass
5 minutes ago, AWW said:

They're only too heavy for people to change. I could foresee driving over a cradle that drops the battery out of the floor then driving forwards onto a machine that lifts a new battery into place.

Or, the machines we travel around in become smaller and lighter, more akin to a Renault Twizy or a BMW C1, with batteries that humans can lift and carry.

I will have one of these for local use, however as they are homologated as tractors they are 'restricted' to 40kmh.

Polaris Ranger EV

Polaris-Ranger-EV-Avalanche-Grey-003-1000x1000.jpg

https://www.polarisquad.co.uk/Polaris-Ranger-EV–Avalanche-Grey

26 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

It's essentially because journalists know nothing about nothing. How many time have you read an article about a subject you know something about? And it's complete rubbish. Apply this thinking to all articles, and you won't be far wrong.

Agreed. And the journo 'community' is getting worse. I mean have you seen the recent intake of BBC reporters, they fill me with dread... But why do they all insist on inanely grinning or making wild hand gestures at me - are they insane - don't answer that!

937326463_Citroenami-2.thumb.jpg.fe8c65e540bf1caa54b9aaf21ed39324.jpg

The Ami is already on sale in France, where its quadricycle classification means it can be driven by anyone over the age of 14, with leasing payments from just €19.99 per month with a €2,600 deposit

Archived