DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Bullionvault /Allocated Gold

Bus Stop Boxer

10 minutes ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Might be a timely discussion.

Does the panel trust em?

Ive got an acct but not funded it yet.

My guess is that when it all goes pete tong, you want the physical stuff. Not a bit of paper saying it’s being held on your behalf somewhere 

Bus Stop Boxer
4 minutes ago, One percent said:

My guess is that when it all goes pete tong, you want the physical stuff. Not a bit of paper saying it’s being held on your behalf somewhere 

Agreed, but heap loads of physical (relatively speaking) brings its own issues.

Not least the gov get a tip orf from the dealer if above £10k ish.

The attraction of BV as far as i can see is that its easy enough to dip in and out. The downside is its not CGT free like Sovs etc.

Sovs brings risk to me in the physical security dept when looking to sell. Also i think the spread on BV is better than Sov buy backs with Baird etc. Have dealt with Baird and they are perfectly fine however.

I sort of like the idea of using allowances to draw down a "pension" from BV within the CGT /personal limit each year.

The old become your own central bank is ringing in my ears every day right now.

If gold is ever let fly it COULD BE  a great option. How long can JP Morgan keep knobbling it?

reformed nice guy

I think the big benefit of BV and others like that is jurisdiction. You can keep some in Switzerland, Singapore etc.

Bit pointless, in a SHTF scenario the gold vaults will be the first things raided.

If you want gold in your portfolio the easiest way is the iShares Physical Gold ETF. I got it myself on freetrade. Easy to buy, easy to sell and a low management fee, 0.25% or something. 

If you decide to go for physical they do these divisible bars of gold/silver at just over spot which you can break up like a chocolate bar for barter.

Amazing IMAGES of divisible gold bars in Switzerland - Rediff.com Business

22 hours ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

If gold is ever let fly it COULD BE  a great option. How long can JP Morgan keep knobbling it?

I don't think it'll ever shoot up. Too many vested interests in keeping it low. At best it's a store of value considering cash is trash.

5 hours ago, Errol said:

If you don't hold it you don't own it.

In the event of a national emergency/WWIII etc etc, all vaulted gold will be be seized by the State. 

and, probably, all safety deposit boxes, especially those where the contact person lives overseas.

M S E Refugee

I have a Bullionvault account and have cashed it in a few times when I have managed to get a good deal at auction or on eBay.

I've started buying up as much Pre 1947 Silver as I can get my hands on, it's CGT free and you can buy it for around spot.

I use BV and have had no complaints so far although i did sell some to use up some of my CGT allowance last year and plan to do that again or if silver or gold goes mental

I hold some physical too would like more

HousePriceMania
On 15/08/2022 at 21:29, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Might be a timely discussion.

Does the panel trust em?

Ive got an acct but not funded it yet.

Trust no one, especially where money is concerned.

• 2 weeks later...
Bus Stop Boxer

Last time there was a liquidity crisis in 08, gold was sold to cover positions.

Greg Mannarino is banging on relentlessly about a liquidity crisis returning.

So im wondering if the time to buy is not quite yet?

Is there anything materially different now, to 08, which would now see gold go straight up? Other than the sheer motherlode of debt that has been added in the interim that is.

Silver Brits on Baird ,mixed dates are £18.12 at the minute. Even with the vat thats tempting. If Truss cuts VAT even moreso!

Brits for barterability? Will owning physical metal be made illegal?

Serious conversation required on how to dodge all these Schwab bullets.

2 hours ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Last time there was a liquidity crisis in 08, gold was sold to cover positions.

I think I recall hearing Max Keiser and an interview guest both agreeing that you suddenly could not buy physical - everywhere was out of stock

HousePriceMania
3 hours ago, reformed nice guy said:

I dont think there is a liquidity crisis this time

Money Printer Go Brrr Meme GIF - MoneyPrinterGoBrrr MoneyPrinter Meme ...

There's a collapsing currency crisis if they do that, much worse.

Dog shit will be more valuable that a dollar.

On 16/08/2022 at 20:17, gibbon said:

If you want gold in your portfolio the easiest way is the iShares Physical Gold ETF. I got it myself on freetrade. Easy to buy, easy to sell and a low management fee, 0.25% or something. 

SGLN
https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/i/ishares-physical-metals-physical-gold-etc

Is this the one you meant?

3 hours ago, A_P said:

pardon my ignorance, but is that not also a currency trade?

From KID

The ETC securities aim to provide investment exposure to physical gold and are valued based on the London Bullion Market Association (LBMA) gold price.
The Company holds physical gold. Each ETC security has a metal entitlement (“Metal Entitlement”, which is the amount of physical gold backing the ETC
security) and its daily value is calculated based on its daily Metal Entitlement. The daily Metal Entitlement can be found on www.ishares.com

Physical exists, which is good as a non-derivative, but bad for confiscation.

29 minutes ago, Paulie said:

From KID

The ETC securities aim to provide investment exposure to physical gold and are valued based on the London Bullion Market Association (LBMA) gold price.
The Company holds physical gold. Each ETC security has a metal entitlement (“Metal Entitlement”, which is the amount of physical gold backing the ETC
security) and its daily value is calculated based on its daily Metal Entitlement. The daily Metal Entitlement can be found on www.ishares.com

Physical exists, which is good as a non-derivative, but bad for confiscation.

not read the KID myself, but is it not an ETC, although bought on the LSE in £, actually underlying in $?

image.thumb.png.5ecd28ade7c9f28f2c4bc78960af0f1c.png

Looks to me IGLG would probably be the better one for UK

Archived