DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Nuclear Punt - Investing In Nuclear Energy

No One

I've been thinking about energy future as a result of the Russkie invasion and subsequent short-sightedness of our leaders, that on the long run nuclear energy us the future of UK-EU energy.

From what I understand it is the next highest energy density after fossil fuels, and from what we have seen the green-renewables energy is a scam that can't deliver. So where could I invest from a short/medium/long term in this sector?

Short would be to take advantage of current crisis.

Medium for my ISA, 1-2 years.

Long for my SIPP, pension in say 3-4 decades from now.

Mr. Burns Wallpapers on WallpaperDog

Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk (Burns to Sell the Power Plant) | Simpsons  Wiki | Fandom

Uncle Buck Rogers

I was watching Rolls Royce share price after Bozo's speech earlier as there have been rumours of their involvement in mini reactors for some time, but it didn't move. I think they have a shit ton of debt and have no involvement in Sizewell C to my knowledge.

Just now, Uncle Buck Rogers said:

I was watching Roll Royce share price after Bozo's speech earlier as there have been rumours of their involvement in mini reactors for some time, but it didn't move. I think they have a shit ton of debt and have no involvement in Sizewell C to my knowledge.

Bill G. Is now into nuclear. Mind the power on his future hot rods appears to lie in Russia. A spent load.

The Gates are open to Terrapower. If they can ever find the fuel mind.

53 minutes ago, No One said:

I've been thinking about energy future as a result of the Russkie invasion and subsequent short-sightedness of our leaders, that on the long run nuclear energy us the future of UK-EU energy.

From what I understand it is the next highest energy density after fossil fuels, and from what we have seen the green-renewables energy is a scam that can't deliver. So where could I invest from a short/medium/long term in this sector?

Short would be to take advantage of current crisis.

Medium for my ISA, 1-2 years.

Long for my SIPP, pension in say 3-4 decades from now.

Several orders of magnitude MORE energy dense than fossil fuels!

Think this is the only way you will win on Sizewell C.

1. Pubs

Pubs for sale in Leiston

•  
5b266ad499987baa-592x444.jpg

Located in the vibrant Suffolk town of Leiston 5 double bed pub with kitchen and car park (20) 2 basement cellars, 2 garages, shed & barn First floor function room (30) and 2 bars (58) Scope for food, rear & front trade patios (30)

On 01/09/2022 at 20:48, Uncle Buck Rogers said:

I was watching Rolls Royce share price after Bozo's speech earlier as there have been rumours of their involvement in mini reactors for some time, but it didn't move. I think they have a shit ton of debt and have no involvement in Sizewell C to my knowledge.

The problem with RR. is that the majority of their income comes from servicing their wide-body engines [~50%], and then the rest is based around developing conventional engines, electric engines and SMR. For the nuclear option wouldn't someone like BAE [BA.] be a better option for development, and Babcock [BAB] for servicing?

4 hours ago, MrXxxx said:

The problem with RR. is that the majority of their income comes from servicing their wide-body engines [~50%], and then the rest is based around developing conventional engines, electric engines and SMR. For the nuclear option wouldn't someone like BAE [BA.] be a better option for development, and Babcock [BAB] for servicing?

Well we did have AEA but that's now been sold off to Ricardo and I'm not sure what they do now.

It makes you cry...

World’s first commercial nuclear reactor, Calder Hall 1 (MWe net: 50) at Windscale (later Sellafield) is opened by Queen Elizabeth II. The government says Britain has become "the first station anywhere in the world to produce electricity from atomic energy on a full industrial scale".

40 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Well we did have AEA but that's now been sold off to Ricardo and I'm not sure what they do now.

It makes you cry...

World’s first commercial nuclear reactor, Calder Hall 1 (MWe net: 50) at Windscale (later Sellafield) is opened by Queen Elizabeth II. The government says Britain has become "the first station anywhere in the world to produce electricity from atomic energy on a full industrial scale".

A repeating story of the last 40 years of 'Selling off the family silver' to counteract successive governments mismanagement of the economy/failure to take tough decisions when they were required, this to garner public support/office at the cost of future consequences/someone elses problem. The thing is now the 'hens have come home to roost', so will the Conservatives try to win the next election, or let Labour become the 'fall guy' before then resuming power/glory afterwards?

The Bear of Doom
5 hours ago, MrXxxx said:

For the nuclear option wouldn't someone like BAE [BA.] be a better option for development, and Babcock [BAB] for servicing?

I would image that the only experience BAE will have with nuclear reactors is integrating the RR built reactors on to the submarines built at Barrow, and even then it will probably be along the lines of just providing the mechanical, structural, electrical, cooling etc., interfaces.

A lot of design work in the nuclear sector is provided by engineering consultancies, IIRC Wood Group (LSE: WG) used to be big in that sector, but back in 2020 they sold their nuclear business to Jacobs Engineering (NYSE: J).

I will see if I can dig anything else out.

The Bear of Doom

I'd said I would post some more information about small nuclear reactors, so here it is :D

Through my professional institution I get the chance to attend various seminars, lectures etc. (and no, there is no truth in the rumour that I only attend for the free food! xD )

Most people on this board will probably be aware of Rolls-Royces activities in the Small Modular Reactor (SMR) field, but they aren't the only player in the game. Back in 2018 I attended a lecture given by someone from U-Battery, who are a company developing SMRs. Looking at my notes these reactors are rated at10MW (thermal output) / 4MW (electrical output), and the use cases are not just limited to power generation but U-Battery are also envisaging using them to provide process heat (steam) for heavy industrial users, with other possible uses being the production of Hydrogen, and also Desalination of sea water.

They are also working closely with Canada, as these SMRs could be used to provide power for remote communities that currently rely on Diesel generators (the costs of providing power this way are subsidised by the Canadian government and were £350/MWh in 2018 , so I dread to think what the costs are now).

I made a note of the industrial partners at the time - they were Urenco, Wood Group, Cammel Laird, and Laing O'Rourke. Looking at their website now, the partners are Urenco, BWX Technologies, Cavendish Nuclear, Jacobs Engineering (they recently purchased the nuclear engineering side of Wood Group), Kinectrics, Costain, and Rolls-Royce.

Anyway, I hope there is some useful information for you in my post. Declaration: the only company that I have mentioned, that I am invested in is RR, I have not looked in to the other companies yet, DYOR etc.

9 minutes ago, The Bear of Doom said:

I'd said I would post some more information about small nuclear reactors, so here it is :D

Through my professional institution I get the chance to attend various seminars, lectures etc. (and no, there is no truth in the rumour that I only attend for the free food! xD )

Most people on this board will probably be aware of Rolls-Royces activities in the Small Modular Reactor (SMR) field, but they aren't the only player in the game. Back in 2018 I attended a lecture given by someone from U-Battery, who are a company developing SMRs. Looking at my notes these reactors are rated at10MW (thermal output) / 4MW (electrical output), and the use cases are not just limited to power generation but U-Battery are also envisaging using them to provide process heat (steam) for heavy industrial users, with other possible uses being the production of Hydrogen, and also Desalination of sea water.

They are also working closely with Canada, as these SMRs could be used to provide power for remote communities that currently rely on Diesel generators (the costs of providing power this way are subsidised by the Canadian government and were £350/MWh in 2018 , so I dread to think what the costs are now).

I made a note of the industrial partners at the time - they were Urenco, Wood Group, Cammel Laird, and Laing O'Rourke. Looking at their website now, the partners are Urenco, BWX Technologies, Cavendish Nuclear, Jacobs Engineering (they recently purchased the nuclear engineering side of Wood Group), Kinectrics, Costain, and Rolls-Royce.

Anyway, I hope there is some useful information for you in my post. Declaration: the only company that I have mentioned, that I am invested in is RR, I have not looked in to the other companies yet, DYOR etc.

The one to buy shares in (if they are sensibly priced) is Jacobs, they will buy any company they want, they bought AMECs Nuclear bit (formerly NNC who designed the AGRs) two days after AMEC won a £2Bn job at Sellafield.

Nobody in Government batted an eyelid, its about as insider dealing as you can get without crossing the line.

On 05/09/2022 at 09:08, Bilbo said:

It makes you cry...

Energy too cheap to meter.
Was the claim in the video I'd watched.

It was only the desire for nuclear weapons that made the accident happen.

Archived