DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Don't work in Scotland.

Formerly

45 minutes ago, Formerly said:

And the income tax is only above ~43k. The point remains that in this 7k window, you're going to see a small fraction of your wage. It's actually better between 50k and 100k as the NI rate drops to 2%.

Bugger, you are right, so the correct figure should be as follows:

£50k gross = £18258 [after 40% Tax/NI/pension on £30430] + £2660 [after 62%Tax/NI/pension on £7k] + £12570 PTA] = £33488 MINUS £2682.45 [9% student loan repayment on sum above threshold] = £30805.55 take home.

Democorruptcy
On 15/12/2022 at 19:11, Formerly said:

Just  a wee reminder for anyone who's not aware that our taxes have gone up again. If you are fortunate to enough to earn over £43,662, they'll take it away at the following rate:

42% income tax

12% national insurance

9% student loan repayments

Don't forget your employer pays 13.8% of your salary as employer NI.

In total that's 76.8/113.8 = 67.5% of those earnings taken before you even get to spend the rest on all those taxed necessities of life. Where does it all go?

Maybe the thread title should be "Only work in Scotland if it's for the NHS"?

This tax rise is to go to the NHS, which will be go on pay rises not front line services

In 2021 NHS staff got at least 4% backdated to 2020

That followed on from an at least a 9% pay rise over 3 years from 2018

On 15/12/2022 at 19:11, Formerly said:

Just  a wee reminder for anyone who's not aware that our taxes have gone up again. If you are fortunate to enough to earn over £43,662, they'll take it away at the following rate:

42% income tax

12% national insurance

9% student loan repayments

Don't forget your employer pays 13.8% of your salary as employer NI.

In total that's 76.8/113.8 = 67.5% of those earnings taken before you even get to spend the rest on all those taxed necessities of life. Where does it all go?

I didn't think you had to pay for university in Scotland?

2 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

This tax rise is to go to the NHS, which will be go on pay rises not front line services

The one upside is that most of the NHS spend will be delayed until they're drawing their pensions. Remember, they're so well paid that the government will be taking 60%+ of the pay rise back. Nursing now requires an academic degree, so they'll all have the extra 9% graduate tax to pay for their own training.

4 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I didn't think you had to pay for university in Scotland?

For your first degree, the fees are paid. You'll still most likely have 4 years living costs to borrow as student loans. The total debt will be lower, but it's still there.

47 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

Bugger, you are right, so the correct figure should be as follows:

£50k gross = £18258 [after 40% Tax/NI/pension on £30430] + £2660 [after 62%Tax/NI/pension on £7k] + £12570 PTA] = £33488 MINUS £2682.45 [9% student loan repayment on sum above threshold] = £30805.55 take home.

I've worked up there and have earned around 50K, so your figures are a bit out. Putting them into an online tax calculator, I got the following and it looks about right.

£50,000   Net ~£36,000, slightly less with student loan. I don't count pension contributions as tax. 

£22,000   Net ~£19,000

Less than 10% of jockos would be on £50K a year and I dare say a fair percentage would be educated public sector, so they vote SNP. Labour are practically finished up there with people under 60 and the widely hated Tories are the walking, talking definition of a minority party.

Democorruptcy
2 minutes ago, Formerly said:

The one upside is that most of the NHS spend will be delayed until they're drawing their pensions. Remember, they're so well paid that the government will be taking 60%+ of the pay rise back. Nursing now requires an academic degree, so they'll all have the extra 9% graduate tax to pay for their own training.

I can't see any upside in it to be honest. The pension liability is going to increase so much over the years, that it's going to take an ever increasing tax contribution from people who don't work in the NHS.

37 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

The 7.5% rise offered has been costed at £500m. They reckon the tax rise will raise £1bn. If they've done their sums right there's 500m extra to out into the NHS services. That's about a bus and a half's worth.

Someone else will have to pay my share as I need to put anything over 43k into my pension in order to have any chance of retiring before I drop.

27 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

I can't see any upside in it to be honest. The pension liability is going to increase so much over the years, that it's going to take an ever increasing tax contribution from people who don't work in the NHS.

I was being facetious. We keep getting told in here how well paid nurses are. If you include their pensions, they do have a decent wage. Of course, I don't believe these pensions are really funded.

33 minutes ago, tank said:

I've worked up there and have earned around 50K, so your figures are a bit out. Putting them into an online tax calculator, I got the following and it looks about right.

£50,000   Net ~£36,000, slightly less with student loan. I don't count pension contributions as tax. 

£22,000   Net ~£19,000

Less than 10% of jockos would be on £50K a year and I dare say a fair percentage would be educated public sector, so they vote SNP. Labour are practically finished up there with people under 60 and the widely hated Tories are the walking, talking definition of a minority party.

You're pretty close with your figures. But the tax take in my OP is also correct. Before pension deductions, in 2023 you only get to take home 32.5% of the salary cost to your employer, for any salary between 43.66 and 50k (assuming that to earn this you had to take out student loans).

3 hours ago, Formerly said:

You're pretty close with your figures. But the tax take in my OP is also correct. Before pension deductions, in 2023 you only get to take home 32.5% of the salary cost to your employer, for any salary between 43.66 and 50k (assuming that to earn this you had to take out student loans).

Yes, this black spot is to do with NI being the reserved responsibility of Westminster where the 40% band reduction starts at £50K.

The SNP are obviously playing to the gallery with this stuff.

They know that most Scots will never earn £44K+ and those who do are mostly public sector bods who benefit from sweeteners like tuition free university places for their kids and free prescriptions.

I was going to say, agreed:  Don't work in Scotland with those miserable bastards.  They all look so indefatigably sullen, matching with their grey skies and horrific, mechanical accent.

Then I remembered I'm from Northern Ireland.

2 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

When I lived in Scotland I realised they are so tight, they make Yorkshire people look frivolous with their money.

Because they spend every penny on drink drugs and assorted household items that are deep fried 

8 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

When I lived in Scotland I realised they are so tight, they make Yorkshire people look frivolous with their money.

nothing as mean as a Yorkshireman, their favourite motto encompasses their philosophy

'Ear all, see all, say nowt; Eat all, sup all, pay nowt; And if ivver tha does owt fer nowt – Allus do it fer thissen.

Democorruptcy
17 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

nothing as mean as a Yorkshireman, their favourite motto encompasses their philosophy

'Ear all, see all, say nowt; Eat all, sup all, pay nowt; And if ivver tha does owt fer nowt – Allus do it fer thissen.

I have similar burnt onto the inside of my arms from when I picked the hot cauldron up in the Tight Temple in Yorkshire. Like David Carradine did in Kung Fu.

Eat all, sup all, pay nowt, if tha does owt fer nowt, do it fer thissen.

• 2 weeks later...
PatronizingGit
On 18/12/2022 at 09:00, MrXxxx said:

You don't if you are Scottish, Welsh or Irish.

I always find it ironic I cant, as an englishman, get free dental in scotland regardless of need. 

This is the same SNP led scotland for condemning Farage in 2015 for not wanting all the worlds HIV carriers to burden the NHS.

She said all she sees with HIV riddled africans is 'people in need' 

Well, there are millions in need of dental care in England, Sturgeon, how about letting them in if your criticism of Farage is genuine. 

PatronizingGit

On the plus side, it will probably keep out a lot of the third worlders. All are very mercenary in their take home pay, utterly unattached to England or Scotland in anything more than a me,me,me sense. I cant see many staying in scotland if england has lower taxes.

1 hour ago, PatronizingGit said:

On the plus side, it will probably keep out a lot of the third worlders. All are very mercenary in their take home pay, utterly unattached to England or Scotland in anything more than a me,me,me sense. I cant see many staying in scotland if england has lower taxes.

What are the rents like in Glasgow 

Archived