DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Finance Companies moving to the Midlands

With a crooked smile

With a crooked smile

I rember reading years ago about banks moving to the Birmingham area. I've noticed on LinkedIn today an article about Goldman Sachs moving to the Midlands. I can see the appeal for younger members of staff. Lower houses prices very different environment ect. How typical is this and is there really any wage premium on being in London anymore? 

13 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

I rember reading years ago about banks moving to the Birmingham area. I've noticed on LinkedIn today an article about Goldman Sachs moving to the Midlands. I can see the appeal for younger members of staff. Lower houses prices very different environment ect. How typical is this and is there really any wage premium on being in London anymore? 

For ~95% of people moving to London for work, London has been shit for ~20 years.

Its really not worth it.

Bricormortis

Its been going on for a few years as far as I know, I lived in Brum for 6 years till last year.

Brum wants to compete with Canary Warf in their dreams. They have stated that.   There was a plan to make a 10,000  job office park at Snow Hil ( central Brum ) for that purpose.

I got the impression that the city does turn out plenty of IT graduates and such.

47 minutes ago, Bricormortis said:

Its been going on for a few years as far as I know, I lived in Brum for 6 years till last year.

Brum wants to compete with Canary Warf in their dreams. They have stated that.   There was a plan to make a 10,000  job office park at Snow Hil ( central Brum ) for that purpose.

I got the impression that the city does turn out plenty of IT graduates and such.

Not the first time it's tried to compete against London. I think in the 18th century its selling point was that it didn't have the "closed shop" trade guilds, and so it became a centre of manufacturing, and the early industrial revolution.

I'm not sure the parallels are that close this time, but it's an interesting thing to try.

Castlevania
3 hours ago, With a crooked smile said:

Deutsche Bank have been in Birmingham a while. Salaries are around half London.

With a crooked smile
4 hours ago, spygirl said:

For ~95% of people moving to London for work, London has been shit for ~20 years.

Its really not worth it.

I think broadly speaking I agree with you. I used to commute long distance 20 years ago to London. The pay was meh but I got loads of experience that allowed me to get a much better paid job a lot further away. I met a lot of young grads from all over the UK back then and the general view was they wouldn't break even on the graduate training scheme but the experience was worth it. London seemed a lot more exciting back then. Most of the overseas workers were SA, Oz or New Zealanders. Ive visited Lichfield a few times near Brum and thought it was pleasant. If I was starting out workwise I'd probably go their now rather than London purely based on housing costs. 

Green Devil
22 hours ago, Castlevania said:

Seems like thats the real reason then for the move. Cut the wage bill in half. 

19 hours ago, Green Devil said:

Seems like thats the real reason then for the move. Cut the wage bill in half. 

Also increase staff retention - as there are fewer people competing for the workers (even with wages cut in half).

On 15/04/2021 at 03:35, Castlevania said:

HSBC are there as well.  Got a mate who was moved from London up there about 3-4 years back, I think.

Archived