DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Inflation to the moon

King Penda

With a crooked smile

Bottom end wages are going to shift up or the government is going to have to allow more immigration. Becoming more common to see signs like the one I photographed today in Keswick.

Met our new laundry Account manager today. Discussed how there's one flakey member of staff I'd love to get rid of but can't due to lack of replacements in the labour market. He told me they'd like to get rid of a whole load at the linnen factory but wouldn't be able to get replacements.

20220323_181104.jpg

Frank Hovis
13 hours ago, With a crooked smile said:

Bottom end wages are going to shift up or the government is going to have to allow more immigration. Becoming more common to see signs like the one I photographed today in Keswick.

Met our new laundry Account manager today. Discussed how there's one flakey member of staff I'd love to get rid of but can't due to lack of replacements in the labour market. He told me they'd like to get rid of a whole load at the linnen factory but wouldn't be able to get replacements.

20220323_181104.jpg

This last year I've had various cards through my door offering me low wage work.

The most recent, this last week, was for a linen and laundry provider with a whole host of vacancies. Now I do actually like ironing but would find eight hours a day rather much.

Their nearest site is twenty miles away so they are just blanket bombing Cornwall.

I've only seen these very occasionally in the past and I would suggest that the 25% hikes in rent this last year have effectively served to drive out of the west of the county the workers who used to do those jobs.

VeryMeanReversion
On 24/03/2022 at 10:18, Frank Hovis said:

This last year I've had various cards through my door offering me low wage work.

The most recent, this last week, was for a linen and laundry provider with a whole host of vacancies. Now I do actually like ironing but would find eight hours a day rather much.

Little known fact but I designed an iron that worked twice as fast.  It included sensors that detected direction then applied steam on the forward stroke then disabled it for the reverse direction.  Fans in the board could be set to blow to float the material above the board to push the creases out and then suck to give a final flat surface.

I was the project lead, did the software algorithms, coded it and solved the mechanical geometry issues.

Irons were sold by Laurastar under the Magic/Intuitive brand. They claimed to manufacture them in Switzerland but were really made in Italy.

I haven't done any ironing since.

On 26/03/2022 at 06:38, VeryMeanReversion said:

Little known fact but I designed an iron that worked twice as fast.  It included sensors that detected direction then applied steam on the forward stroke then disabled it for the reverse direction.  Fans in the board could be set to blow to float the material above the board to push the creases out and then suck to give a final flat surface.

I was the project lead, did the software algorithms, coded it and solved the mechanical geometry issues.

Irons were sold by Laurastar under the Magic/Intuitive brand. They claimed to manufacture them in Switzerland but were really made in Italy.

I haven't done any ironing since.

When I was in hospital with a blood clot the old guy next to me claimed to be part of a team that invented the self turning off kettle

Archived