DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

New builds and house builders

Dave Bloke

What's going to happen in the new build market.

I assume all the eco crap that has come in over the last years is a sop to house builders to make their slave boxes look more attractive but they still cost more to build.

With building costs going up and interest rates rising surely this is going to be very difficult for house builders to manage?

I just checked Barrets and Cogidim (a leading French house builder) and their share prices are almost in lockstep and approaching the Covid crash levels. So presumably the markets are... bearish.

7 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

I assume all the eco crap that has come in over the last years is a sop to house builders to make their slave boxes look more attractive but they still cost more to build.

I always assumed it was a ruse to squeeze out smaller builders. Force every builder to have a green crap full time paper pusher, hardly a noticed expense for a Barret Homes etc but ruinous for a small builder wanting to do a twelve house development.

11 minutes ago, Axeman123 said:

I always assumed it was a ruse to squeeze out smaller builders. Force every builder to have a green crap full time paper pusher, hardly a noticed expense for a Barret Homes etc but ruinous for a small builder wanting to do a twelve house development.

Already squeezed out otherwise you'd see small developments everywhere of say 3-10 houses. The plots are not available which is another factor. Big builders are more land banking companies than house builders. Small builders carry on with reduced demand doing what they were doing before, extensions and individual builds to a higher spec, more expensive materials, which means the increased expense of the eco stuff is not so much as an add on in price comparatively. They are not holding land, or never even get into the self development so that risk is taken out, which is maybe why house builders shares already tanking as the market is reflecting the value of the land banks that have already fallen.

HousePriceMania
On 28/08/2022 at 19:23, Dave Bloke said:

What's going to happen in the new build market.

With building costs going up and interest rates rising surely this is going to be very difficult for house builders to manage?

I just checked Barrets and Cogidim (a leading French house builder) and their share prices are almost in lockstep and approaching the Covid crash levels. So presumably the markets are... bearish.

I spoke to an architect at a BBQ the other week. He said that he had made sure all his plans were passed off before this June as regs were changing. That creped under my Radar 

From 15 June 2022, all new homes must produce 30% less carbon dioxide emissions than current standards. The Building Regulations also include new standards to reduce energy use and carbon emissions during home improvements.15 Jun 2022

52 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I spoke to an architect at a BBQ the other week. He said that he had made sure all his plans were passed off before this June as regs were changing. That creped under my Radar 

From 15 June 2022, all new homes must produce 30% less carbon dioxide emissions than current standards. The Building Regulations also include new standards to reduce energy use and carbon emissions during home improvements.15 Jun 2022

My gas heating engineer bought a house in a rural area a few months ago and has applied for planning permission for a large extension. He was saying he cannot use oil as a source of heating for it, despite it being used for the existing house, so has to look at heat pumps, solar etc (no gas supply). This will be why. I hadn't realized things had gone this far already.

He also told me about a customer of his who works on maintaining offshore wind farms who told him that all the electricity generated by them goes to Denmark because our grid system needs updating to use it. I had not heard this either. He was saying that they are trying to force the green agenda through before we have the appropriate technology in place and wasn't impressed at all by the way the country is going. 

19 hours ago, norfolkhorn said:

My gas heating engineer bought a house in a rural area a few months ago and has applied for planning permission for a large extension. He was saying he cannot use oil as a source of heating for it, despite it being used for the existing house, so has to look at heat pumps, solar etc (no gas supply). This will be why. I hadn't realized things had gone this far already.

He also told me about a customer of his who works on maintaining offshore wind farms who told him that all the electricity generated by them goes to Denmark because our grid system needs updating to use it. I had not heard this either. He was saying that they are trying to force the green agenda through before we have the appropriate technology in place and wasn't impressed at all by the way the country is going. 

The public would be surprised if they realised quite how little of the wind resources were intended for UK use and hence the infrastructure was never put in the received the generated power. We could well have a power policy to suit the Europeans, not the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogger_Bank_Wind_Farm

Dutch, German, and Danish electrical grid operators are cooperating in a project to build a North Sea Wind Power Hub complex on one or more artificial islands to be constructed on Dogger Bank as part of a European system for sustainable electricity. The power hub would interconnect the three national power grids with each other and with the Dogger Bank Wind Farm.

A study commissioned by Dutch electrical grid operator TenneT reported in February 2017 that as much as 110 gigawatts of wind energy generating capacity could ultimately be developed at the Dogger Bank location.[37]

At the North Seas Energy Forum in Brussels on 23 March 2017, Energinet will sign a contract to work with the German and Dutch branches of TenneT; thereafter a feasibility study will be produced.[38][39]

Archived