DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Won’t someone think of the Landlords!

Inque

45 minutes ago, Darude said:

My understanding is that in Belgium their solution to the problem of landlords failing to make repairs was to allow tenants to get the repairs done themselves and send the bill to the landlord. The tenants just have to follow the right process and paperwork e.g. get 3 quotes, fill in the right forms etc.

My understanding is that you can also do that in the UK.

5 hours ago, Darude said:

My understanding is that in Belgium their solution to the problem of landlords failing to make repairs was to allow tenants to get the repairs done themselves and send the bill to the landlord. The tenants just have to follow the right process and paperwork e.g. get 3 quotes, fill in the right forms etc.

We can do that here.

You write to the landlord asking for repair.give deadline for response. According to severity of the repair and urgency. 

Write again saying you'll get three quotes and withhold rent to do the repair.

Cab used to advise this back in the 90s. 

We did it for a leaking flat roof.

2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

We can do that here.

You write to the landlord asking for repair.give deadline for response. According to severity of the repair and urgency. 

Write again saying you'll get three quotes and withhold rent to do the repair.

Cab used to advise this back in the 90s. 

We did it for a leaking flat roof.

If tenants get repairs done without the landlord's agreement they are on very shaky legal ground in England, what you are describing is not an official process at all e.g. the tenant cannot withhold rent to pay for the repairs unless the landlord explicitly agrees to it.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/what_to_do_if_your_private_landlord_wont_do_repairs

If the landlord won't agree to either get the repairs done themselves or allow the tenant to get the repairs done the only legal process is to sue the landlord and get the court to order that the work be done.

This is what is different about the Belgian process (as I understand it: may not be 100% correct), the tenant can get repairs done without the landlord agreeing or having to go to court to get a judge to sign an order, they just need to follow the correct bureaucratic process.

On 06/09/2022 at 17:11, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Quick, launch a disaster appeal. 

FFS, we're going to have a line of destitute asylum seeking landlords at England's northern border.

Reminds me, are we still giving squillions in foreign aid?   

22 hours ago, Darude said:

If tenants get repairs done without the landlord's agreement they are on very shaky legal ground in England, what you are describing is not an official process at all e.g. the tenant cannot withhold rent to pay for the repairs unless the landlord explicitly agrees to it.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/what_to_do_if_your_private_landlord_wont_do_repairs

If the landlord won't agree to either get the repairs done themselves or allow the tenant to get the repairs done the only legal process is to sue the landlord and get the court to order that the work be done.

This is what is different about the Belgian process (as I understand it: may not be 100% correct), the tenant can get repairs done without the landlord agreeing or having to go to court to get a judge to sign an order, they just need to follow the correct bureaucratic process.

CAB advice in early 90s was to do due process and get repairs done.

Perfectly sensible provided repairs are small.

These days eHO can force repairs.

59 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

CAB advice in early 90s was to do due process and get repairs done.

Perfectly sensible provided repairs are small.

These days eHO can force repairs.

The tenant writing letters to the landlord to inform them that they are going to get repairs done, getting multiple quotes before doing the work etc is not due process as the tenant has no legal right to make repairs to the property without the landlord's permission.

Perhaps in the early 90s it was different before almost all private tenants were put onto Assured Shorthold Tenancies, I have no idea.

You are right that eHO have powers in this area to force repairs.

On 07/09/2022 at 09:06, spygirl said:

Im, not one to not kick a LL.

Rent controls are a bad idea.

Simply clearing out the migrants on benefits and raising IR well north of 4% will do the trick.

But you're talking common sense. Won't catch on.

Archived