DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Community Land Trust and ‘cheaper’ housing….

JoeDavola

JoeDavola
22 minutes ago, spunko said:

The thing is, you can tell just by looking at him that he won't ever change. He has convinced himself that London is "the" place to be, where he will always live and how wonderful it is to live in a melting pot, how he can get to the West End in 15 minutes, blah de blah.

These people are two a penny and they all look like him. The weirdest thing about them is that they're rarely ever born in London, they are nearly always northern and have adopted London as their new home, it's like a kind of cult.

I can sympathise on some level - as a single bloke the thought of sitting in some 3 bed semi out in suburbia never appealed to me. I like being in the city and being near to everyhing even if I don't do all that much - it's probably a form of denial as you feel less isolated even if you are alone most of the time just cause you're in a city and near lots of 'people'.

However, I would never have moved and stayed in Belfast city centre if doing so had been a huge economic drain, as I suspect London is for this guy. It wouldn't be worth it then.

I suspect the difference between me and this guy is that yes he is probably somewhat smug at being a "Londoner" or something - personally I didn't see the charm of London, especially if you're working class - some of the wee villages oop north that Stuey (RIP) posted in the past frankly looked more charming and pleasent to live in to me and this bloke could have had a house owned outright by his age had he lived there instead of chasing the Londond dream, whatever that is.

Edited by JoeDavola

29 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I can sympathise on some level - as a single bloke the thought of sitting in some 3 bed semi out in suburbia never appealed to me. I like being in the city and being near to everyhing even if I don't do all that much - it's probably a form of denial as you feel less isolated even if you are alone most of the time just cause you're in a city and near lots of 'people'.

However, I would never have moved and stayed in Belfast city centre if doing so had been a huge economic drain, as I suspect London is for this guy. It wouldn't be worth it then.

I suspect the difference between me and this guy is that yes he is probably somewhat smug at being a "Londoner" or something - personally I didn't see the charm of London, especially if you're working class - some of the wee villages oop north that Stuey (RIP) posted in the past frankly looked more charming and pleasent to live in to me and this bloke could have had a house owned outright by his age had he lived there instead of chasing the Londond dream, whatever that is.

To be fair, that part of London is very much suburbia, around Sydenham. You can see Epping Forest area in the distance to the right and Docklands to the centre, which gives you a sense of how far out into the suburbs it is.

There are jobs of course , which is probably the main pull factor, but they require commuting into the centre, which will still take 25-30 mins on a train.

Again I'm just not sure why you'd choose to "self build" in the heart of suburban SE London.

It'd make more sense for him to move to a nice city centre and self build there. Instead of the most expensive, polluted city in the UK (IMO).

• Agree 1

Interesting case study is "Walters way" in Lewisham which is a small housing estate that is very sought after made up of "anarchist" modular houses in the 80s that are quick and cheap to build. It's a shame we haven't adopted this model but I guess lots of trades would go out of business. 

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/sep/16/anarchism-community-walter-segal-self-build-south-london-estate

http://www.waltersegal.org/