DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

The tax man cometh

One percent

One percent

Im not sure whether this is going to happen, or a way of frightening idiots into coughing up. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13169401/hmrc-jeremy-hunt-tax-private-debt-collectors.html

Jeremy Hunt has vowed to raise billions of pounds in revenue by employing private debt collection agencies to chase down individuals and companies that owe money to the taxman.

In a bid to persuade more people to pay tax, the Chancellor said he would provide HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) with an extra £35million a year.

He said in his budget speech: 'I will provide HMRC with the resources they need to ensure everyone pays the tax they owe leading to an increase in revenue collected of over £4.5 billion across the forecast period

• Lol 2

wherebee
2 hours ago, One percent said:

Im not sure whether this is going to happen, or a way of frightening idiots into coughing up. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13169401/hmrc-jeremy-hunt-tax-private-debt-collectors.html

Jeremy Hunt has vowed to raise billions of pounds in revenue by employing private debt collection agencies to chase down individuals and companies that owe money to the taxman.

In a bid to persuade more people to pay tax, the Chancellor said he would provide HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) with an extra £35million a year.

He said in his budget speech: 'I will provide HMRC with the resources they need to ensure everyone pays the tax they owe leading to an increase in revenue collected of over £4.5 billion across the forecast period

they already do this, AFAIK.  I used to know a guy who chased complex corporate debts as part of a law firm and I am sure he told me some of that was tax debt

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

So it isn't even £35m for a private contract, it's £35m extra funding and maybe half of that will go to the private contractor. Only the public sector could concoct a scheme where you spend 1p and supposedly get back £1.... Of course it won't happen.

• Agree 2

Virgil Caine
19 hours ago, wherebee said:

they already do this, AFAIK.  I used to know a guy who chased complex corporate debts as part of a law firm and I am sure he told me some of that was tax debt

Local Collector of Taxes offices were shut decades ago and the work outsourced to debt collection agencies.

sarahbell
23 hours ago, One percent said:

What pence in the pound will we get?

I mean it might frighten in to paying tax but probably not.

• Agree 1

Van Lady

Trying to speed up grabbing back tax due?

For information I received a letter a few days that I’d been overpaid tax credits in 2011 and I owe HMRC £43.40.

Firstly I would like to outline my situation for anyone unfamiliar. My unsupportive ex husband left me and his 4 & 5 year old kids and eventually I worked part time in various jobs topped up with tax credits due to juggling childcare. Throughout that time I paid all council tax due with no rebate apart from a couple of years until my son secured decent paying employment. I also paid my mortgage off. Don’t regard myself as a scrounger.

When I initially read the letter I thought WTF! …is this a scam. Apparently not because all the info in the letter checks out on the official gov website.

I’ll have to pay it but WTF! Chasing me for just over £40 from 12 years ago. Surely there are more lucrative opportunities to claw back money overpaid in tax credits!

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1
  • Love / Hugz 1
  • Bogged 1

leonardratso
3 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

For information I received a letter a few days that I’d been overpaid tax credits in 2011 and I owe HMRC £43.40.

Firstly I would like to outline my situation for anyone unfamiliar. My unsupportive ex husband left me and his 4 & 5 year old kids and eventually I worked part time in various jobs topped up with tax credits due to juggling childcare. Throughout that time I paid all council tax due with no rebate apart from a couple of years until my son secured decent paying employment. I also paid my mortgage off. Don’t regard myself as a scrounger.

When I initially read the letter I thought WTF! …is this a scam. Apparently not because all the info in the letter checks out on the official gov website.

I’ll have to pay it but WTF! Chasing me for just over £40 from 12 years ago. Surely there are more lucrative opportunities to claw back money overpaid in tax credits!

can you offer it back at £1 a week

• Agree 1

Van Lady
5 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

can you offer it back at £1 a week

I suppose I could but I can’t be arsed. I’m just going to pay it and not engage with them.

One percent
12 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Utter, utter bastards. Mind I guess given it’s costing 15 million a day for all the illegals, this is looking down the back of the sofa time for government.  

• Agree 1

Van Lady
2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Utter, utter bastards. Mind I guess given it’s costing 15 million a day for all the illegals, this is looking down the back of the sofa time for government.  

Yes I do think that letter and DEMAND with all the threats if I don’t pay £43.30 reeks of utter desperation.

• Agree 2

One percent
Just now, Van Lady said:

Yes I do think that letter and DEMAND with all the threats if I don’t pay £43.30 reeks of utter desperation.

I hate the way they DEMAND when it’s their cockup in the first place 

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1