DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 2)

spunko

Don Coglione
Just now, Loki said:

Yup, that's one of mine!  Made a profit too, the first time round.  Bought back in again....

Me too. Traded it a few tines, made a few grand, but am paying the price now. Stupidly started to believe the fundamentals.

I reckon it is dead, but not worth cashing in the loss.

• Replies 35.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ThoughtCriminal
11 hours ago, MrXxxx said:

Hi TC, alongside DBs comment,  you may like to look at one of the other post I have done on cost comparison advantages/disadvantages of several brokers...depending on how much you have to invest don't forget the FSA protection limits (also covered in a previous post)..finally, don't ignore the impact of costs I.e brokers and ocf`s/operating charges of funds, especially in regards to compounding over time.

Thanks for that MrX, good point. I’ll check your post out. Much appreciated. 

Just now, Ponty Mython said:

Me too. Traded it a few tines, made a few grand, but am paying the price now. Stupidly started to believe the fundamentals.

I reckon it is dead, but not worth cashing in the loss.

My only hope is the infrastructure spending gets funnelled towards it.  The project must have some valueto have got this far.  I think we'll get SXX'd though

Don Coglione
Just now, Loki said:

My only hope is the infrastructure spending gets funnelled towards it.  The project must have some valueto have got this far.  I think we'll get SXX'd though

Yep, fucked below 0.30.

Democorruptcy
4 hours ago, sancho panza said:

I wasn't referring to you Loki,you've been around a long time and know how life works.There's beena few of these moneysavingexpert type posts lately by people who clearly havent read the thread or tehy'd know the answer.It's like coming in at page 348 and asking for a quick run through of the preceeding 847 pages.

Wasn't tlaking about that share which I won't name,we've probably burned more per centage wise than anyone.I'm overjoyed that YRS might have signalled the bottom as he's as bad a market timer as me,slightly worried by @Castlevania as he sounds like he knows what he's talkking about.We'll go through teh bankruptcy prcoeedings we're down that much.

I was going to say sell 'over my dead body' but perhaps it's a bit inappropriate under present circumstances?

Don Coglione
4 hours ago, sancho panza said:

I wasn't referring to you Loki,you've been around a long time and know how life works.There's beena few of these moneysavingexpert type posts lately by people who clearly havent read the thread or tehy'd know the answer.It's like coming in at page 348 and asking for a quick run through of the preceeding 847 pages.

Wasn't tlaking about that share which I won't name,we've probably burned more per centage wise than anyone.I'm overjoyed that YRS might have signalled the bottom as he's as bad a market timer as me,slightly worried by @Castlevania as he sounds like he knows what he's talkking about.We'll go through teh bankruptcy prcoeedings we're down that much.

I reckon I could challenge you on that one!

NogintheNog
9 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

I've posted before that Troy's Sebastian Lyon talks a good talk in relation to the thread. 

Do you prefer that over their Troy Trojan fund?

They look pretty similar, but I've always preferred Trusts. Don't own any funds in my self managed accounts.

Democorruptcy
17 minutes ago, Ponty Mython said:

"Doing nothing" is a dangerous game...

I bought into HMY at an average of $1.60, saw it run up past $4.00, then watched it drop back below $2.00. It is recovering now. 

As I have posted before, I also bought into SBGL at an average of $2.60, sold at $4.00 after a wild ride, watched it run to $13.00 and then drop.

At least TGZ is covering my losses on CNA. Then I have to factor in INFA...

What to do. Another glass of wine, I think!

Good idea, pair a good and bad one to level the pain.

I've been pairing CNA with my other dog DTY (got what I deserved there for being so morbid).

I think the modern term for what I'd like to do with them both is "conscious uncoupling"? Trouble is when we part it looks like I won't get much out of the settlement.

Hi all - been watching this thread with interest.

I used to trade 22 years ago - just prior to tech boom. (1998-2000). 

I had access to the University internet (think it was a dial up connection!) and quite by chance foresaw (Accidentally got caught up in!)  the boom in tech/biotech. Came across a list of ‘10 stocks to invest in by a poster (who seemed to know his ‘onions’) - he had posted it on iii interactive investor - it was like seeing the winning lottery numbers.

I used a broker - but all purchases / sales were done  by phone and you got the Share certificate in the post! It cost £35 per purchase. Everything very slow. 

Anyway again - purely by luck - I invested in these tech/biotech stocks - like Arm holdings, Baltimore Technologies, Vocalis, Celltech, Chiroscience, Phytopharm - and my all time favourite Cambridge Antibody Technology (went from buying at £2.50 to £45.00 in a few weeks!). Anyway again by luck I sold everything up just prior to Nasdaq hitting 5000pts and subsequent collapse. Exciting times! I then tried to short countrywide (As a short in the housing market! 😂) , and oil (by spread betting and lost a fair few pennies - to say the least). I never touched the stockmarket again - kept my profits and instead put it all into a flat and eventually put everything into a family house. (STR’d 2006-08 - but that’s another story!). 

However in the last few weeks I have set up a H&L trading account (Fidelity was shit) and have been investing via an ISA account. 

It is all very different! Trying to get up to speed. 

In last 2 weeks I have bought;

RDSB

HSBA

LLOY

RR

Generally looking at Long term holds and potential dividends long term. 

I have also been looking at ETFs, niche ones by sectors - and index trackers (Ftse, 250, 350, japan, China, Europe, global, emerging markets, commodities, oil ETFs, some US stocks - the 4 big ones -  amazon, apple, alphabet, Microsoft etc.  

I have also come across leveraged x2 and x3 ETFs for BP, Lloyds, Barclays, BAE systems, oil, and indexes e.g NAS And also the 4 big US stocks.

There are ETFs that short Nasdaq e.g. QQQS and similar stocks to the leveraged ones above plus Vodaphone, RR, Barclays etc ‘x3 daily short’.

The leveraged ETFs are advised to only hold for 1 day only. Think they are a bit dodgy ! 

Will be keeping an eye on this thread and may need some basic advice. 

Thanks for info posted so far - useful and appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Democorruptcy said:

I was going to say sell 'over my dead body' but perhaps it's a bit inappropriate under present circumstances?

I feel like selling them and re-buying,it would be worth the £50 to not have to look at the £7k red on them xD ,the gold miner trade made 10x that though,and id take that whack to be able to of got Shell at £9.30 and BP at £2.24 any day.

My dads not as charitable,he says he hopes Iain Cohn gets the bat flu and there is no way the government will let the chinks buy the nuclear power stations now.

12 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

I feel like selling them and re-buying,it would be worth the £50 to not have to look at the £7k red on them xD ,the gold miner trade made 10x that though,and id take that whack to be able to of got Shell at £9.30 and BP at £2.24 any day.

My dads not as charitable,he says he hopes Iain Cohn gets the bat flu and there is no way the government will let the chinks buy the nuclear power stations now.

£9.16 was the sweet spot.... 

First share I bought in 20 years. 

😁

16E7D699-09A5-40D0-995B-95134EB153E0.jpeg

Heart's Ease
4 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

If Centrica got back to being down 25% never mind up id be like,

OT, but - *The* song of that summer. They did a 'live PA' at a warehouse all nighter I went to. Warrington? Legends DJs? Two slots, played 7" version, then something else (B side?), then 12" version. Place was bouncing.  They could have played it all night. 

Alifelessbinary
4 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Where people invest is up to their risk tolerance,age, etc etc.House prices are toast in the south.Government wont want a crash,but its low down their wish list.This is a cycle turning event,they happen about 3 times a century.Since 1982 everything was in house prices favour,from today forwards everything is against them.Everything.Inflation adjusted southern prices will go down 70%,in the north they might hold nominal and fall maybe 20%-30% inflation adjusted over the cycle.

My son is buying at the moment,he could pull out but iv told him not too.They have very secure jobs (Aldi and teacher) and got a fantastic 10 year fix mortgage.Il cover any falls if needed as i think the prices here will rise over the cycle,nominal at least.

While I agree that a good quality 3 bed house in Durham will be shielded from the worst of the coming property bear, due to high affordability based against the local economy, there are still a lot of variables that support the North / South variance. London for now is still a global city and has a broad depth of professional clusters which are hard to replicate. While London’s recent boom is service led it still has a broad industrial base and is a key global logistics hub.

After university I swore blind I would never live and work in London, but after acknowledging it’s competitive advantage and the clear political bias decided to not fight against the market. In recent years I have alway recommended graduates to move North as the quality of life due to house prices is an easy decision. 20 years ago though the opportunities were huge. 

I can certainly see a nominal drop of 30% and would actually welcome it for the societal benefits, however 70% inflation adjusted would require double digit inflation and a global depression. Saying that you nailed oil, gold and several other indicators, so time will tell. 

There has already been a 20% drop in Central London house prices since 2014, but this was widely ignored by the mainstream media, as it mainly effected HNW individuals and internal buyers. 

This week I have been surprised at the amount of development activity and funding for large projects is holding up well considering the circumstances. The real challenges will become apparent in the next 6-12 months when a clearer view of the economic damage can be clearly assessed. 

The government are currently working on various residential infrastructure packages to ensure that development volumes don’t collapse. Any scheme seeking support will be done based on the government receiving a return on capital plus restrictions and profit shares on the developer. 

My team amazingly complete 2 land transaction on 9th March totalling £11.2m, much to my surprise. When I quizzed the purchasers they didn’t want to lose their deposits and the purchasers want to place money into assets rather than the bank even with the very real price risk. 

Agent ZigZag
3 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I have been thinking about Harmony recently, never occured to me to sell dogs to buy a potential, great thinking CV.

Harmony and sibanye have been my two favourite performers and I will hold my allocation. In the recent sell off I took a short term gamble/trading position with gdxj. I am hoping wishing and praying this runs and there is a second sell off later this year but not before my sell target is hit. The proceeds from this I will add to the above miners.

Bobthebuilder
11 minutes ago, Agent ZigZag said:

Harmony and sibanye have been my two favourite performers and I will hold my allocation. In the recent sell off I took a short term gamble/trading position with gdxj. I am hoping wishing and praying this runs and there is a second sell off later this year but not before my sell target is hit. The proceeds from this I will add to the above miners.

Harmony was really good to me around a year ago. Looking a bit longer term for them now but those that shall not be named may be sold to add. Random thoughts and all that..

1 hour ago, Alifelessbinary said:

While I agree that a good quality 3 bed house in Durham will be shielded from the worst of the coming property bear, due to high affordability based against the local economy, there are still a lot of variables that support the North / South variance. London for now is still a global city and has a broad depth of professional clusters which are hard to replicate. While London’s recent boom is service led it still has a broad industrial base and is a key global logistics hub.

After university I swore blind I would never live and work in London, but after acknowledging it’s competitive advantage and the clear political bias decided to not fight against the market. In recent years I have alway recommended graduates to move North as the quality of life due to house prices is an easy decision. 20 years ago though the opportunities were huge. 

I can certainly see a nominal drop of 30% and would actually welcome it for the societal benefits, however 70% inflation adjusted would require double digit inflation and a global depression. Saying that you nailed oil, gold and several other indicators, so time will tell. 

There has already been a 20% drop in Central London house prices since 2014, but this was widely ignored by the mainstream media, as it mainly effected HNW individuals and internal buyers. 

This week I have been surprised at the amount of development activity and funding for large projects is holding up well considering the circumstances. The real challenges will become apparent in the next 6-12 months when a clearer view of the economic damage can be clearly assessed. 

The government are currently working on various residential infrastructure packages to ensure that development volumes don’t collapse. Any scheme seeking support will be done based on the government receiving a return on capital plus restrictions and profit shares on the developer. 

My team amazingly complete 2 land transaction on 9th March totalling £11.2m, much to my surprise. When I quizzed the purchasers they didn’t want to lose their deposits and the purchasers want to place money into assets rather than the bank even with the very real price risk. 

My roadmap shows around 90% inflation over the cycle with a 120% outlier.Rates at 10% a real risk,but 7% are locked in.I think 70% down inflation adjusted is almost certain in the south.They might get away with 60% inflation adjusted and there will be odd places that dont do quite as bad.

The problem for house prices is where as over the last cycle they have had everything in their favour,unlike any other cycle,they are now entering a cycle where everything will be against them.

Inflation running ahead of wages by a lot.

Interest rates starting a cycle long run higher with no falls along the way to lock in lower levels.

Government moving housing support from welfare to social housing.

Demographics as more family homes come on the market and HTB estates falling hugely in price as people who cant sell rent and they slowly turn into sink estates

Cycle being industrial not consumer,so capital will move to areas offering higher gains.

Distribution cycle where pension pots fall as bonds lose over half their value inflation adjusted,so less bank of mum and dad.

I would think a mortgaged southern house would be one of the worst assets classes in the world for the cycle.Though of course for people who have bought a long time ago and paid most off it doesnt matter,its a home.Anyone who bought with high leverage though will suffer greatly.

As always nothing is certain,but the cycles are pretty clear now,its only the scale of the falls in question.

32 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

My roadmap shows around 90% inflation over the cycle with a 120% outlier.Rates at 10% a real risk,but 7% are locked in.I think 70% down inflation adjusted is almost certain in the south.They might get away with 60% inflation adjusted and there will be odd places that dont do quite as bad.

The problem for house prices is where as over the last cycle they have had everything in their favour,unlike any other cycle,they are now entering a cycle where everything will be against them.

Interest rates starting a cycle long run higher with no falls along the way to lock in lower levels.

Demographics as more family homes come on the market and HTB estates falling hugely in price as people who cant sell rent and they slowly turn into sink estates

Cycle being industrial not consumer,so capital will move to areas offering higher gains.

Distribution cycle where pension pots fall as bonds lose over half their value inflation adjusted,so less bank of mum and dad.

I would think a mortgaged southern house would be one of the worst assets classes in the world for the cycle.Though of course for people who have bought a long time ago and paid most off it doesnt matter,its a home.Anyone who bought with high leverage though will suffer greatly.

As always nothing is certain,but the cycles are pretty clear now,its only the scale of the falls in question.

Excellent, as always. But what is the end game, you think? What happens in 2028? World War 3? How will the ungodly mess be sorted out?

7 minutes ago, Shamone said:

Excellent, as always. But what is the end game, you think? What happens in 2028? World War 3? How will the ungodly mess be sorted out?

I honestly try not to think about it as its a long way off and we have enough to contend with now and the next couple of years.A lot depends on the scale of the printing needed to right size things now.If we get around 3x the printing we have seen so far,thats a minimum i expect then we should see double digit inflation towards the end of the cycle.Sometime after that things will collapse,mainly governments as they wont be able to issue debt,and the CBs will be trapped because of the inflation.They simply wont be able to print,or buy government paper.Opposite to now,now they can print as much as needed as we are deflating.

The problem will be its likely we see currency collapse including the $ and no price discovery.Its a long way off though and things can change and it might just be a really terrible time that wipes away half of wealth,a bit like this turn now.

Popuplights

Might be a good time for my kids, all at the beginning big their careers to get a house on the cheap. With the bank of granddad helping. Well, after he has died of course.😟

Democorruptcy
8 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Amerman has done a good piece The Secret History Of A 70% Market Loss .

The chart doesn't really sell trackers does it and definitely leans towards the importance of individual stock selection? Obviously the ones that do better during inflation and outperform the market as a whole!

Dow70sC.jpg

BOOM!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/09/bank-of-england-to-finance-uk-government-covid-19-crisis-spending

Both the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, and the Bank’s governor, Andrew Bailey, are keen to quash speculation that the cost of the lockdown will eventually force the government into monetary financing, also known as “helicopter money”.

Thinktanks such as the Institute of Fiscal Studies say it is hard to estimate the financial price the government will pay as a result of mothballing large chunks of the economy, but even a relatively short lockdown will send public borrowing to at least £200bn this year.

“Temporary” xD

Apologies as I have not read all 350+ pages (plus Pt. 1&2!) - if this discussed before.

Has anyone had any success or opinion on leveraged shares (x2 and x3) - are they only meant for day traders, and are they ‘adjusted’ so if held for any longer the holder gets ‘screwed over’ ??

I am a ‘long term holder’ and ‘dividend’ investor - however buying 3LLL LLoyds x3 would have been my preferred route and I would have planned to hold ‘long term’. (I did not buy as wary). 

They have risen +30% in last 3 days. See below.

I have also added a list of other leveraged shares. 

6606326E-CBE3-4AD2-85DD-7588E96A3C2E.png

Of course I am fully aware that if they rise it is X3 BUT ALSO IF THEY FALL it is x3 and I am happy with that - but I think if you hold for a few days you get ‘killed’ by so callled ‘adjustments’ and charges etc....

I wanted to start looking for new value to invest in and was interested to see which stocks (UK £50M+) had fallen most in the last year. It's quite the rogue's gallery! Does anyone see any here that have been overcooked in the present climate?

# Ticker Name  Mkt Cap m GBP  Price vs 52w High %  Price vs 52w Low % 
1 INTU Intu Properties                        65 -95                               54
2 AMGO Amigo Holdings                        75 -95                               51
3 TED Ted Baker                        62 -91                               55
4 TLW Tullow Oil                      342 -90                             238
5 MTRO Metro Bank                      156 -90                               31
6 BWNG N Brown                        54 -88                               90
7 SHI Sig                      119 -87                               15
8 DLAR De La Rue                        68 -86                               47
9 FCH Funding Circle Holdings                      192 -84                             151
10 ACSO Accesso Technology                        63 -83                             176
11 ASAI Asa International                        78 -83                               -  
12 RSE Riverstone Energy                      139 -82                               61
13 CPI Capita                      551 -82                               66
14 RPS Rps                        82 -82                               21
15 LOOK Lookers                        74 -81                               79
16 MCRO Micro Focus International                   1,405 -81                               44
17 AA. Aa                      102 -81                               24
18 HYVE Hyve                      177 -80                               45
19 CINE Cineworld                      832 -80                             231
20 HUR Hurricane Energy                      262 -80                               84
21 AML Aston Martin Lagonda Global Holdings                   1,114 -79                             108
22 CCL Carnival                   6,050 -79                               52
23 KIE Kier                      136 -78                               44
24 BUR Burford Capital                      892 -78                               63
25 HMSO Hammerson                      595 -78                               45
26 CARD Card Factory                      155 -78                             106
27 MNZS John Menzies                        96 -77                               70
28 HSW Hostelworld                        56 -77                               63
29 TILS Tiziana Life Sciences                        57 -77                               60
30 PHAR Pharos Energy                        73 -76                               85
31 PMO Premier Oil                      243 -76                             189
32 IPF International Personal Finance                      111 -76                               -  
33 SENS Sensyne Health                        57 -76                               26
34 PURP Purplebricks                      115 -75                               69
35 SDRY Superdry                      111 -75                             125
36 NRR Newriver Reit                      190 -75                               26
37 SCPA Scapa                      163 -74                               16
38 SAGA Saga                      181 -74                               29
39 PDG Pendragon                      101 -73                               80
40 SYME Abal                        98 -73                               20
41 ELM Elementis                      299 -72                             185
42 JOUL Joules                        89 -72                             150
43 OKEY O'key Sa                      129 -71                               19
44 SNR Senior                      289 -71                               53
45 CRS Crystal Amber Fund                        61 -71                               30
46 GKP Gulf Keystone Petroleum                      161 -71                               62
47 SQN Sqn Asset Finance Income Fund                      139 -70                               76
48 ATMA Atlas Mara                        73 -70                                 6
49 CNA Centrica                   1,961 -70                               11
50 CAL Capital & Regional                        96 -70                               39

TheCountOfNowhere
Dont laugh folks.....

Centrica PLC
LON: CNA
Follow

36.22 GBX +2.54 (7.54%)

22 minutes ago, Barnsey said:

BOOM!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/09/bank-of-england-to-finance-uk-government-covid-19-crisis-spending

Both the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, and the Bank’s governor, Andrew Bailey, are keen to quash speculation that the cost of the lockdown will eventually force the government into monetary financing, also known as “helicopter money”.

Thinktanks such as the Institute of Fiscal Studies say it is hard to estimate the financial price the government will pay as a result of mothballing large chunks of the economy, but even a relatively short lockdown will send public borrowing to at least £200bn this year.

“Temporary” xD

Pishi Bawsac is a disaster area.

Archived