• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Taking bets on the John Lewis Sweepstake

Tunbridge Wells. It's in some out-of-town shopping centre away from the rest, and always seems to be dead.

Bluewater would be interesting, as this is one of their "flagship" stores, along with House of Fraser (lol) and Marks and Spencer (lol).

If you've never been (lucky you) it's built in a triangle with one at each point. Less than 15 years after opening, all three flagships gone bust... imagine that.

They'll have to rebuild it as a hexagon.

1 hour ago, sancho panza said:

is this for closure?

leicester would be a cert if it wasn't rent rfree from what I hear.It's always empty and the people here are relatively poor.

My understanding is that John Lewis (Cole Brothers) in Sheffield gets favourable rent to stay in the city centre and not piss off to MeadowHELL.  Sheffield centre is doomed though I reckon, there's no saving it.

And then there's this:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/28/anpr_sheffield_council/

Aside from the fact that the council (read government also) absolutely cannot be trusted with any of our personal data, it is fairly clear that they want to top up their lovely pensions by charging people to drive into town under the pretence of 'clean air' lol !!! That's on top on the ludicrous parking charges which mainly extend to 8pm each day now.  The twats in charge really are absolutely fucking everything up.  

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

JL are fucked.

Theyll have to pay full market rents  when the magic dust escapes.

At the mo they are seen as anchor store #1 so pay fuckall.

Someone will have to explain what they are to them....

6 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

The one the size of a planet in Cardiff

Exterior view of John Lewis department store in Cardiff City ...

Could compete in the 'Most ugly building in the World' competition.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Option5 said:

John Lewis own the freehold of 6 of their stores and 102 Waitrose stores.

Their flagship Peter Jones store in Sloan Square is owned by Cadogan but the annual rent is fixed......

at......

£6000

😂😂😂

That leaves about 45 JL stores.I remember SNACR saying they got virtually rent free as anchor stores

338 waitrose stores.

WHen they shut the one in Oadby,Liecester,there was a fair bit of teeth grinding amongst the RPI linked pension brigade that they'd have to roguh it Sainsbury's.Hard times.

Edited by sancho panza

12 hours ago, sancho panza said:

That leaves about 45 JL stores.I remember SNACR saying they got virtually rent free as anchor stores

338 waitrose stores.

WHen they shut the one in Oadby,Liecester,there was a fair bit of teeth grinding amongst the RPI linked pension brigade that they'd have to roguh it Sainsbury's.Hard times.

Back when JL were great (2000 onwards) and the shopping malss were still growing/being built, I rmember reading about a INTU or someone similar basically begging for a JL and MnS to anchor the site.

And thats the core of the problem. The idiot JL ex CEO, ex squaddy expanded everywhere, fucking up JL brand and profits.

14 hours ago, sancho panza said:

338 waitrose stores.

My local brigade organised a petition and got a whole 200 signatures :Jumping: