DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Diary of a house sale....post covid

Sasquatch

Put our place on the market last week. So far had one viewing which was a no. So much for the miracle property market! Seems dead as a dodo to me! 

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ours still SSTC. Full asking. Might be fucked though. House 9 years old but never had a NHBC warranty. Architects certification expired. Allegedly would be fine if they were with a different lender. Might have to be remarketed.

36 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Put our place on the market last week. So far had one viewing which was a no. So much for the miracle property market! Seems dead as a dodo to me! 

Which part of the country are you? I had 15 viewers in my first round - and no offers. Dropped the price 25K after 4 weeks and had another 14 viewers with two offers. Now going through the interminable selling process with low expectations.

On 28/09/2020 at 00:55, Wight Flight said:

Things will be very different come April 2021

what's happening in April? Tax changes?

Wight Flight
37 minutes ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

I no longer have any idea.

But I am sure things will be different. Maybe better, maybe worse, but different anyway.

Final day of move today.

Am I in my important business meeting in North Yorkshire this morning?

Answer:  No

Why is that you ask?

Answer: Because I am at the new house with my car but my wife is at the old house with her car, her keys and my keys.

Marvellous.

Democorruptcy
On 06/10/2020 at 14:11, sancho panza said:

yeah it's intriguing really.I lvoe markets and the way yhtye work.Its funny how a littl reduction in price can make al the difference.

I think for 2 reasons.

1. A reduction means on RM it comes back to the 'newest' listed and triggers an email alert. It's seems like people don't trawl very far back through the listings and need them putting on a plate

2. Buyers know the vendor has broken and can smell the fear.

On 07/10/2020 at 16:12, 5min OCD speculator said:

stamp duty is allegedly being put back to normal, ill see that when i beleive it.

On 07/10/2020 at 16:00, CVG said:

Which part of the country are you? I had 15 viewers in my first round - and no offers. Dropped the price 25K after 4 weeks and had another 14 viewers with two offers. Now going through the interminable selling process with low expectations.

rather not say but south of watford UK, tbh looking around there really isnt anything i can afford to upsize to (1 extra bed and big garden), the plan was the get a sale agreed with a buyer thats willing to wait for a little while maybe (ie a renter) and stitch up a chain with the agent (ie get heads up on a new listing before it hits market if something fits the bill), my thinking is im unlikely to be preferred purchaser (ie first through the door unless they get to sell mine as well)

sleepwello'nights
11 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Final day of move today.

Am I in my important business meeting in North Yorkshire this morning?

Answer:  No

Why is that you ask?

Answer: Because I am at the new house with my car but my wife is at the old house with her car, her keys and my keys.

Marvellous.

How did you drive to your new house without your keys. I'm assuming you keep your car keys on the same keyring as your house keys like I do. 

It's a technique that's only let me down once. Shortly after we married we lived in a flat above a high street shop in West London. When we went out in the evening invariably we would drive. One hot summer evening we decided to go to a pub a short walk away, I didn't pick up the keys. When we returned home I realised the keys were in the flat. We called the police to see if they could suggest what to do. A constable dropped by a few minutes later, had a look at our front door, pulled a pair of scissors out of his tunic pocket scraped the putty off one of the small panes of glass on the door, levered out the two nails holding the glass in place put his hand to reach the lock and opened the door. Took him all of two minutes?

He spent an hour or so drinking tea and keeping an eye his beat, the high street, in comfort from our sitting room window.

28 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

How did you drive to your new house without your keys. I'm assuming you keep your car keys on the same keyring as your house keys like I do. 

It's a technique that's only let me down once. Shortly after we married we lived in a flat above a high street shop in West London. When we went out in the evening invariably we would drive. One hot summer evening we decided to go to a pub a short walk away, I didn't pick up the keys. When we returned home I realised the keys were in the flat. We called the police to see if they could suggest what to do. A constable dropped by a few minutes later, had a look at our front door, pulled a pair of scissors out of his tunic pocket scraped the putty off one of the small panes of glass on the door, levered out the two nails holding the glass in place put his hand to reach the lock and opened the door. Took him all of two minutes?

He spent an hour or so drinking tea and keeping an eye his beat, the high street, in comfort from our sitting room window.

Yes, car keys and house keys on same keyring (along with office keys). Duplicate sets.

We have taken a rental house and therefore have had a staggered move. The actual completion is tomorrow. We were pretty much moved in yesterday but the movers were picking up some final bits and bobs including garden items this morning from the old house. My wife left before me (early!) and grabbed all the keys on the windowsill, including mine.

Always some random crap when you move house. As well as this, I managed to break the induction hob, then one of the toilet flush handles and then my wife's car wouldn't start and had to have a new battery.

leonardratso

sounds to me like the house doesnt want you to leave..

how many flush handles does the toilet have, is it in case theres a big job on so have to have a mo'powerful one?

crashmonitor
10 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Yes, car keys and house keys on same keyring (along with office keys). Duplicate sets.

We have taken a rental house and therefore have had a staggered move. The actual completion is tomorrow. We were pretty much moved in yesterday but the movers were picking up some final bits and bobs including garden items this morning from the old house. My wife left before me (early!) and grabbed all the keys on the windowsill, including mine.

Always some random crap when you move house. As well as this, I managed to break the induction hob, then one of the toilet flush handles and then my wife's car wouldn't start and had to have a new battery.

When you say you broke the induction hob do you mean cracked the surface ? Interested because we have inherited one and assumed the glass-like hob was pretty indestructible.

The toilet handle sounds familiar too. They left one very loose that fortunately only needed a tighten and I had to raise the ball cock level on the same as the cistern was only half filling. Worst thing they left was anout 50 raw plugs all over the place that needed extracting, filling snd overpainting. Bloody drills, some guys just love messing and wrecking walls . Just stop it.

On 09/10/2020 at 08:35, crashmonitor said:

When you say you broke the induction hob do you mean cracked the surface ? Interested because we have inherited one and assumed the glass-like hob was pretty indestructible.

The toilet handle sounds familiar too. They left one very loose that fortunately only needed a tighten and I had to raise the ball cock level on the same as the cistern was only half filling. Worst thing they left was anout 50 raw plugs all over the place that needed extracting, filling snd overpainting. Bloody drills, some guys just love messing and wrecking walls . Just stop it.

Knocked a bottle of olive oil over and it cracked the corner of the hob. Not even close to being indestructible!

The toilet flush was a top button one. Made of plastic - everything too cheaply made these days.

Just now, Sasquatch said:

Knocked a bottle of olive oil over and it cracked the corner of the hob. Not even close to being indestructible!

Thanks, that's really useful to know. 

sleepwello'nights
On 07/10/2020 at 15:21, Green Devil said:

We felt quite despondent in the first few weeks our house was listed. Our fourth viewing resulted in an offer. We've accepted. Next step will be on Monday when a survey for the lender is carried out. 

The process is interminable.

On another tack  a house we wanted to buy when we viewed it in June has come back on the market. We'll see if its meant to be.

On 09/10/2020 at 13:11, Green Devil said:

3 more viewings pencilled in for next week. 

Guy oposite has an offer within a week cornered him yesterday and was blunt and said what’s there offer he said 67500.he has a nicer bathroom but I’ve got a new boiler double gazing a doors .mind it’s not sold until it’s sold 

24 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Guy oposite has an offer within a week cornered him yesterday and was blunt and said what’s there offer he said 67500.he has a nicer bathroom but I’ve got a new boiler double gazing a doors .mind it’s not sold until it’s sold 

Make that 5 now :)

16 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Make that 5 now :)

I hope you get top dollar my hopes of geting another house have been fucked up a bit you can’t get a morgage on benifits.however you can stash cash once my claims finaly sorted .ive a rough idea of how much I will get but no idea how much I will spend per month now .i also know I can cash my pension in providing its to buy a bigger house ie a bedroom each for the kids but no rush to do this and I need to check I’d not get penalised by universal credits under deprivation of assets .ie spending it lol.im hopeing the mad one isn’t classed has to mad for long I want to go back to work lol

3 done, no offers. Various types of people including BTL. Agent did drop in that it's currently easier to get a BTL mortgage than a FTB mortgage 😂😂

sleepwello'nights
25 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

3 done, no offers. Various types of people including BTL. Agent did drop in that it's currently easier to get a BTL mortgage than a FTB mortgage 😂😂

I got a bit despondent after the third viewing. The feedback was all the same, house is lovely but ground floor and garden are too small. On the fourth week we had a fourth viewing and an offer that we accepted.

The lenders survey was carried out on Monday. The surveyor told us the mortgage valuation is for a BTL lender. We have no chain then.

1 hour ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I got a bit despondent after the third viewing. The feedback was all the same, house is lovely but ground floor and garden are too small. On the fourth week we had a fourth viewing and an offer that we accepted.

The lenders survey was carried out on Monday. The surveyor told us the mortgage valuation is for a BTL lender. We have no chain then.

Last place I sold a good few years back I think I priced too low. It sold to first viewing. This time its not cheap, I want the agents to work harder this time. I can always cut the price in a few months. Small garden here too, hence reason for the move. I'm seeing some price drops at the upper end of the market, though supply is limited. OTOH the supply is certainly increasing in the market I'm selling into. One feedback I have had is that there's a similar property available which has a bigger garden for a bit more money. 

14 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Last place I sold a good few years back I think I priced too low. It sold to first viewing. This time its not cheap, I want the agents to work harder this time. I can always cut the price in a few months. Small garden here too, hence reason for the move. I'm seeing some price drops at the upper end of the market, though supply is limited. OTOH the supply is certainly increasing in the market I'm selling into. One feedback I have had is that there's a similar property available which has a bigger garden for a bit more money. 

Id only agree with that in a rising/hot market.

Where I am if you price too high then you risk missing one of the very few buyers.

Then you run the risk of the house being listed for ages.

House buyers actively browse and track houses for sale.

Once a house been on and off for 18 months then it gets a lot harder to sell.

4 hours ago, spygirl said:

Id only agree with that in a rising/hot market.

Where I am if you price too high then you risk missing one of the very few buyers.

Then you run the risk of the house being listed for ages.

House buyers actively browse and track houses for sale.

Once a house been on and off for 18 months then it gets a lot harder to sell.

Yep, but it I can use lockdown to my advantage. If I don't get a quick sale then I can always reduce it after we get unlocked and the huge pent up demand hits 😂😂

30 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Yep, but it I can use lockdown to my advantage. If I don't get a quick sale then I can always reduce it after we get unlocked and the huge pent up demand hits 😂😂

Once you start reducing you ned up being in a Dutch auction.

Archived