Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Would you buy a property next to a Housing Association one?


With a crooked smile
 Share

Recommended Posts

With a crooked smile

Looking at a terraced house in a nice area. At some point a HA has purchased the property next door and turned it into flats. Would you consider buying it? Have seen one of the neighbours who is in his 30s got arrested in another town while drunk last year. A recent advert to rent one of the flats tho says over 55s only so not sure if much has changed there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

King Penda
1 minute ago, With a crooked smile said:

Looking at a terraced house in a nice area. At some point a HA has purchased the property next door and turned it into flats. Would you consider buying it? Have seen one of the neighbours who is in his 30s got arrested in another town while drunk last year. A recent advert to rent one of the flats tho says over 55s only so not sure if much has changed there. 

Tough call im

next to a safe house in 8 years only 1 grade one dick .sometimes it’s empty for 5/6 months 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

wherebee

Private rented or HA, not a huge difference in odds of living next to a nightmare unless it's a known problem dump area.

I think it depends on your character.  If, like me, the sound of music from next door drives you to sharpen the axe and lose all control, probably not worth the risk.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With a crooked smile
23 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Private rented or HA

HA - I can't see anything specific about their mission statement like we specialise in mental health and drug issues. I'm fairly open minded about noise. I have lived in cities before. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

wherebee
Just now, With a crooked smile said:

HA - I can't see anything specific about their mission statement like we specialise in mental health and drug issues. I'm fairly open minded about noise. I have lived in cities before. 

me too.

which is why I don't anymore.

  • Agree 1
  • Lol 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With a crooked smile
Just now, wherebee said:

which is why I don't anymore.

Nore me mate looking at a property in Keswick population 5k (plus 15k tourists!) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

Nore me mate looking at a property in Keswick population 5k (plus 15k tourists!) 

In which case your choice is probably between being next door to a B&B and next door to a HA house.

Take your pick...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JoeDavola

The great irony is that council houses are often the best houses out there in terms of build quality.

Certainly a better build than most new-builds.

But people don't want to be seen to be living in a council estate, and people are worried about who they might be living beside on a council estate. And I completely understand that.

Still worth considering if the estate in question is now mostly private owned, as many are. And you can get noisey neighbours anywhere - the only way to avoid them is to have the resources to buy a detached place with a bit of land around it, which most people don't.

  • Agree 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With a crooked smile
24 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

great irony is that council houses are often the best houses out there in terms of build quality.

Certainly a better build than most new-builds

100% agree with this some of the older council houses had long gardens presumably to allow for allotment type activities. Y old man remembers a terrace house down the road from his in London having pigs in the back garden. A butcher lived there. 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

sarahbell

Yes. The most agressive shites on our street were private owners.

the council (now HA) scum are varied. Some are fine (those with jobs).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

mosstrooper

i would never ever buy a property next to a BTL. sooner or later the druggie scum will move in...there are so many of this type its just a question of when not if.......and thats the beginning of your life of misery.

 

 

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frank Hovis

Over 55s makes a big difference.  I would confirm this with the HA.

This should no Right to Buy and a generally quieter set of tenants.

If it isn't over 55s only then don't touch it with a bargepole as flats are more likely to have the ex-cons and druggies.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

JoeDavola
1 hour ago, mosstrooper said:

i would never ever buy a property next to a BTL. sooner or later the druggie scum will move in...there are so many of this type its just a question of when not if.......and thats the beginning of your life of misery.

Not even druggie; just the fact that you'll have a house that probably won't be looked after as well as if there was OO and there will be more frequent changes of neighbours.

My brother got unlucky with the house attached to his semi as it's rented out to folk that are very noisy and have a noisy yappy dog to boot.

An end terrace or a semi where the party wall is in the hallway as opposed to the living room might be a good compromise if someone can't afford a detached or doesn't need something that big; it's quite a risk spending most of your time in rooms where you're only a wall away from another household.

Edited by JoeDavola
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With a crooked smile

Well I've bought a house apparently (next to a HA one). Still lots to do been approved mortgage in principle but need to get it over the line. 

 

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With a crooked smile
18 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

So what you are all saying is that renters are scum?

That's not my opinion, but I have lived a mile or so from a housing association that helped slightly mental people live relativly independently. I probably wouldn't want to live next to them. They were always in the garden saying hello to everyone and smoking non stop you'd have that every time you came out your front door. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wight Flight
Just now, With a crooked smile said:

They were always in the garden saying hello to everyone and you'd have that every time you came out your front door. 

My neighbour does that. I think us coming home is the highlight of his day.

I think he lurks in the bushes waiting.

  • Lol 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With a crooked smile

To someone who mentioned not buying next to BTL, I'd prefer to be next to HA than private btl. Mainly because most landlords just let the outsides of property fall apart but HA generally have proper maintenance teams. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

spygirl
5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Over 55s makes a big difference.  I would confirm this with the HA.

This should no Right to Buy and a generally quieter set of tenants.

If it isn't over 55s only then don't touch it with a bargepole as flats are more likely to have the ex-cons and druggies.

Unless you are in  a very very scummy area, cons n druggies always get pushed into private sector HMOs.

Not enough points for own flat.

Normally single.

So, flophouse they go.

Also shere an ever increasing number of single parents - hence stokies/king pandas @King Pendafish in barrel shoot.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, With a crooked smile said:

To someone who mentioned not buying next to BTL, I'd prefer to be next to HA than private btl. Mainly because most landlords just let the outsides of property fall apart but HA generally have proper maintenance teams. 

I'm in a funny spot. House on one side is a Victorian end of terrace that's a BTL but LL lives on my road too. Pretty scruffy, bottom of garden overgrown but lovely occupants always chatty and friendly, not problems re noise despite two teenage kids. House on the other side is detached extended Victorian villa (massive and probs worth a mil), privately owned and no mortgage but they're a bit of a noise nuisance, late night drinking in garden with fire pit, dog barks like it's neglected (it isn't), but they're really easy going so works both ways I guess and let me get away with crazy bonfires and my own parties from time to time. 

Nowhere is perfect but almost anywhere beats giving money to a landlord. 

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don Coglione
2 hours ago, With a crooked smile said:

That's not my opinion, but I have lived a mile or so from a housing association that helped slightly mental people live relativly independently. I probably wouldn't want to live next to them. They were always in the garden saying hello to everyone and smoking non stop you'd have that every time you came out your front door. 

I had one poor bastard who constantly tried to convert me to Jesus. 

Better than trying to rob my shit, I suppose.

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Royston
2 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

My neighbour does that. I think us coming home is the highlight of his day.

I think he lurks in the bushes waiting.

I had an old lady neighbour who used to stand in her porch waiting for me to get home from work every day and she'd pounce as soon as I got out of the car.

I'd regularly be stuck for 30 minutes or more with her wittering on endlessly whilst I was edging towards my front door, it was impossible to shut her up and get away once she got started.

I even ended up sat in her house watching an episode of the Vicar of Dibley on one occasion. To this day I don't know just how that particular situation came about.

The thing is she wasn't lonely or isolated, she had 2 daughters and 5 grandkids who all lived in same village and were constantly calling in on her every day.

 

  • Lol 3
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

goldbug9999
29 minutes ago, Royston said:

I had an old lady neighbour who used to stand in her porch waiting for me to get home from work every day and she'd pounce as soon as I got out of the car.

I'd regularly be stuck for 30 minutes or more with her wittering on endlessly whilst I was edging towards my front door, it was impossible to shut her up and get away once she got started.

I even ended up sat in her house watching an episode of the Vicar of Dibley on one occasion. To this day I don't know just how that particular situation came about.

The thing is she wasn't lonely or isolated, she had 2 daughters and 5 grandkids who all lived in same village and were constantly calling in on her every day.

 

Obviously gagging for it.

  • Agree 2
  • Lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Andersen
6 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

An end terrace or a semi where the party wall is in the hallway as opposed to the living room might be a good compromise if someone can't afford a detached or doesn't need something that big; it's quite a risk spending most of your time in rooms where you're only a wall away from another household.

A mate lives in a house with this type of layout, downstairs the hallway and kitchen are on the party wall, the louge & dining room are at the gable end. Upstairs the bathroom and box room are party wall, the main bedroomns are gable end. Neighbours are well behaved but even if not it would be a quiet house. Recommened if you have a choice, but beware it's colder as the room you live in are on an explosed end wall.

@With a crooked smile Congrats on the move :Beer: 

  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

UmBongo

@With a crooked smile

Private owner occupiers can be obnoxious at times as well. 

I live in a council flat. My communal entrance covers 9 flats but the noisiest one is actually a private leasehold one. 30 year old chap who still talks and acts like he`s 16. I get on OK with him but when his bit of fluff comes round the window open and the music and chatter sound levels increase. He has a dog that is well behaved but it seems like the poor dog doesn't like the noise as she starts barking. 

One other tenant can be a bit noisy if he has visitors but largely doesn't cause anyone issues. Otherwise the rest of us keep ourselves to ourselves. 

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...