DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 3)

spunko

31 minutes ago, geordie_lurch said:

Why are you all buying ebikes - surely the cost of having to charge them as electricity prices are also rising isn't very DOSBOD's like and you will be missing out on the important health benefits of actually cycling a standard bike properly :Old:

If you get a decent normal bike for 50% of the price of an ebike you can put a couple of panniers on it to bring home the yellow stickered reduced stuff from the supermarket and you will be better off financially and health wise :Beer:

When I was cycling to work I had to go up to 4 meals a day (a bit hilly round Yorkshire way like...), probably cost me more in food than leccy using the eBike :)

• Replies 30.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
belfastchild
23 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

Whats the law on being drunk on one?,can you get folding ones you could take in a pub easy enough?

Dunno and yes, mine is a folding one, in range of a couple of pubs. Or at least in range of the way back, car to pub, bike in boot, home, back to pick up the car the next morning. Weighs around 20kg so wouldnt want to carry it.
I dunno what the law is as I havent been caught yet. Cycle lanes near me and pubs so handy enough.

38 minutes ago, geordie_lurch said:

Why are you all buying ebikes - surely the cost of having to charge them as electricity prices are also rising isn't very DOSBOD's like and you will be missing out on the important health benefits of actually cycling a standard bike properly :Old:

If you get a decent normal bike for 50% of the price of an ebike you can put a couple of panniers on it to bring home the yellow stickered reduced stuff from the supermarket and you will be better off financially and health wise :Beer:

it's nice weather, I bought a bike this time last year, idea was to commute once a week on it, may be twice.

~200 commutes since, and 195 have either been too hot, too cold, too wet, too humid, too windy, too dark. Or just CBA. Managed to get on my bike 5 times :)

ebikes don't change the weather.

1 minute ago, snaga said:

it's nice weather, I bought a bike this time last year, idea was to commute once a week on it, may be twice.

~200 commutes since, and 195 have either been too hot, too cold, too wet, too humid, too windy, too dark. Or just CBA. Managed to get on my bike 5 times :)

ebikes don't change the weather.

With an eBike you can wear water proofs and not end up feeling like a boil in the bag. Did 2 years commuting on mine until some scrote nicked it.

18 minutes ago, Lightscribe said:

Who said anything about paying for electricity? ;)

6AB20E65-CC77-46AF-83D4-747305E27D73.webp.8dc3401554ab796b2b324bb6d6194700.webp

You’ll tire from fighting off all the zombies in the apocalypse when carrying out supply raids and energy conservation will be paramount, at least with electric you’ll be able to make a quick getaway.

that's not going to work if you need to recharge overnight for a morning commute?

1 minute ago, Cosmic said:

With an eBike you can wear water proofs and not end up feeling like a boil in the bag. Did 2 years commuting on mine until some scrote nicked it.

for me it's a 12 mile commute, each way, It wasn't that much fun even on a motorbike most of the time. If my commute was half that, I'd be more enthusiastic, but then I'd run commute :)

41 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

Whats the law on being drunk on one?,can you get folding ones you could take in a pub easy enough?

I have a feeling its classed as a motorised vehicle so you could lose your license if caught on one after a few.

Transistor Man
13 minutes ago, TNS said:

I have a feeling its classed as a motorised vehicle so you could lose your license if caught on one after a few.

I think, as long as it's a UK legal ebike, (pedal assist, 250 W, 15.5 mph) -- then it's a bicycle in law.

Therefore, it's a case of being able to cycle in a reasonably straight  line after a few pints.

22 minutes ago, snaga said:

for me it's a 12 mile commute, each way, It wasn't that much fun even on a motorbike most of the time. If my commute was half that, I'd be more enthusiastic, but then I'd run commute :)

Mine was 10. I too did it on a motorbike, but Bradford drivers scared me too much in the end. After the eBike was nicked I did it properly... inc the 2100ft of climbing over the round trip. You just get used to it. The danger is stopping, as you'll then need to get used to it all over again... or just not, as I did :(

Joncrete Cungle
24 minutes ago, TNS said:

You have no number plates, why would you stop? Turn down an alley, ginnel, footpath, pedestrian walkway etc places a car can't drive and keep peddling.

It's what I did when I was young, skint and daft.

1 hour ago, DurhamBorn said:

It was tractors becoming idle that caused the Great Depression,though you dont hear that much,defaults on the loans kicked it all off.

Care to elaborate DB, would love to hear the macro on this.

belfastchild
11 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

When I was cycling to work I had to go up to 4 meals a day (a bit hilly round Yorkshire way like...), probably cost me more in food than leccy using the eBike :)

Quite a sad response this one but...
...did a postgrad recently in environmental/energy stuff and one of the exercises was about how environmental stuff like that actually was. EV vs car vs walking vs bike etc. The extra energy needed to cycle/walk to work had a sweet spot after which it was more environmentally friendly to take the petrol or pile 4 people into a diesel.
The walking/cycling was broken down into vegan vs meat eater diet (of course it was!)

I cant remember the figures offhand but was something ridiculous like a couple of miles then you are better taking the car. EV cars were off the scale for short commutes/short lifespans.

5 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Remember on telcos i said the number to watch was Return on Capital Employed,thats the key number because it shows prices are rising above coupons on their debt,so returns flow to equity,well VOD had this buried in todays results,just what i wanted to see,

Strong step up in pre-tax ROCE of 1.7 percentage points to 7.2%,

That's very interesting. Russell Napier spoke about ROCE in the podcast I posted yesterday. Its part of his re-equitisation thesis and commented it would become one of the metrics, bit like positive cash flow, that investors will be seeking out this cycle.

Castlevania
8 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

Quite a sad response this one but...
...did a postgrad recently in environmental/energy stuff and one of the exercises was about how environmental stuff like that actually was. EV vs car vs walking vs bike etc. The extra energy needed to cycle/walk to work had a sweet spot after which it was more environmentally friendly to take the petrol or pile 4 people into a diesel.
The walking/cycling was broken down into vegan vs meat eater diet (of course it was!)

I cant remember the figures offhand but was something ridiculous like a couple of miles then you are better taking the car. EV cars were off the scale for short commutes/short lifespans.

This assumes everyone eats the optimal amount of calories. The number of obese people suggests that this assumption is flawed.

belfastchild
Just now, Castlevania said:

This assumes everyone eats the optimal amount of calories. The number of obese people suggests that this assumption is flawed.

Were you reading over my shoulder?

20 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

Some of the fat bastards I've seen could cycle ten miles to work every day for a hundred years and they might just start to look normal again. Don't know if anybody's ever been to Andover, holy shit - fat fucker central, we could solve the energy crisis by building a giant hamster wheel and making those fuckers run on it until they were normal again.

Castlevania
6 minutes ago, JMD said:

Japay? Plus a 7% divi.

Yeah. Have purchased 80% of my target in JAPAY but even that’s up around 10% in GBP.

BurntBread
12 minutes ago, ThoughtCriminal said:

Food having it's very own hyperinflation.

I'm sure it'll be fine...........

IMG_20220517_152558.jpg

The last high-water-mark was the cause of the Arab Spring, I think.

Yadda yadda yadda
1 hour ago, Joncrete Cungle said:

You have no number plates, why would you stop? Turn down an alley, ginnel, footpath, pedestrian walkway etc places a car can't drive and keep peddling.

It's what I did when I was young, skint and daft.

I got told off for no lights at 17ish. Copper didn't care that I was smashed. He was nicking someone else at the time though. I just had to get off and walk until out of site.

Bike lights back then probably had as much battery weight as some modern e-bikes.

Archived