DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Move to scrap RPI in 2030

MrXxxx

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/ten-million-pensioners-in-for-10pc-pension-hit-after-court-ruling/ar-AA11nmAj?li=BBoPWjQ

Can see that if you are over 55 with a Defined Benefit pension [and in some cases 50] this has two implications/potential decisions to be made:

1. In the short-term if you can take your pension early [usually with a~3-4% per annum penalty] it may be better to take the yearly sums and invest them elsewhere.

2. In the long-term if you can liquidate [can't remember correct term - brain freeze] your DB and the conversion is favourable i.e. ~x30-40, it may be worth considering and reinvesting elsewhere [as some have done on here previously].

56 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/ten-million-pensioners-in-for-10pc-pension-hit-after-court-ruling/ar-AA11nmAj?li=BBoPWjQ

Can see that if you are over 55 with a Defined Benefit pension [and in some cases 50] this has two implications/potential decisions to be made:

1. In the short-term if you can take your pension early [usually with a~3-4% per annum penalty] it may be better to take the yearly sums and invest them elsewhere.

2. In the long-term if you can liquidate [can't remember correct term - brain freeze] your DB and the conversion is favourable i.e. ~x30-40, it may be worth considering and reinvesting elsewhere [as some have done on here previously].

Wasn’t this predicted on here a week or two back?   

54 minutes ago, One percent said:

Wasn’t this predicted on here a week or two back?   

Don't know @OP, but as I am 'out of the loop' at the moment and only catch-up I may miss things...thought it worth posting though if nothing else as a) a reminder/thought process point for myself to give some short/mid-term thought to, and b) to hopefully promote debate with others; I can learn a lot from others alternative viewpoints.

1 minute ago, MrXxxx said:

Don't know @OP, but as I am 'out of the loop' at the moment and only catch-up I may miss things...thought it worth posting though if nothing else as a) a reminder/thought process point for myself to give some short/mid-term thought to, and b) to hopefully promote debate with others; I can learn a lot from others alternative viewpoints.

No, it is worth posting as it shows that government and organisations can renege on contracts at will. I was highlighting that, yet again, dosbods is ahead of the curve.  

i wonder whether they trawl the site for policy ideas?  :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

No, it is worth posting as it shows that government and organisations can renege on contracts at will. I was highlighting that, yet again, dosbods is ahead of the curve.  

i wonder whether they trawl the site for policy ideas?  :ph34r:

No, because if the trawled this site for ideas we wouldn't be in such a mess! :-)))...and @DurhamBornwould be the Chancellor rather than the current incompetent [that was a replacement fro the previous incompetent].

9 hours ago, MrXxxx said:

. In the long-term if you can liquidate [can't remember correct term - brain freeze] your DB and the conversion is favourable i.e. ~x30-40, it may be worth considering and reinvesting elsewhere [as some have done on here previously].

Forget it, theoretically still possible but they have made it impossible in practice. Five years ago yes.

reformed nice guy
5 hours ago, Ash4781b said:

Is this about government debt indexation? Seems a bit daft to push for index linking debt then change the goalposts. Created loads of financial instability.

Its amusing that they brought in linkers to discourage profligacy, ignored the principle and spent like a sailor on shoreleave, and now are panicking when the linkers are doing what they were supposed to do

6 hours ago, Ash4781b said:

Is this about government debt indexation? Seems a bit daft to push for index linking debt then change the goalposts. Created loads of financial instability.

The constant fucking about with pensions is one of the red flags for systematic failure as has been shown elsewhere in the past. Of course, reneging on past promises does mean people might not want to lend you their money in the future.

Archived