DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Voluntary NI contributions

Sugarlips

I have been buying years via a monthly direct debit of about £13 for quite a while and now have about 22 years (2/3rds of a full OAP.

Given the state of the nation and more specifically the pension industry right now am I better off just burning fivers to keep warm?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bobthebuilder
13 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

I have been buying years via a monthly direct debit of about £13 for quite a while and now have about 22 years (2/3rds of a full OAP.

Given the state of the nation and more specifically the pension industry right now am I better off just burning fivers to keep warm?

If you don't have enough years at retirement, you may be eligible for pension credit, then they will pay your council tax as well.

FUBAR.

1 minute ago, Bobthebuilder said:

If you don't have enough years at retirement, you may be eligible for pension credit, then they will pay your council tax as well.

FUBAR.

But only if you have nowt (or are very good at hiding it). 

52 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

Invest in horses races down the bookies 

I’ve been pissing about with 50p and pound bets all day I’ve just gone all in and if I win it’s a free bottle of spirits.I’ve never even heard of the team I’ve actually bet on ffs

Bobthebuilder
17 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

I love the ways you can use Anglo Saxon English. Squeeze did it really well, my fav line is, "Now is that love" and "Now that is love". Completely different meaning by shifting 2 words.

Yes, I am really bored and have nothing else to do this evening.

1 hour ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I love the ways you can use Anglo Saxon English. Squeeze did it really well, my fav line is, "Now is that love" and "Now that is love". Completely different meaning by shifting 2 words.

Nor me so I’ve been betting on football games for 50p a time all weekend ,my last bets for the weekend I went all in and saved £2.00 in case I got wiped out and had to start again .

272731D1-F2F1-4806-9432-F6B223780A6D.png

AE75D51A-DE1F-4789-8787-EC55788995D1.png

Bobthebuilder
17 minutes ago, King Penda said:

Nor me so I’ve been betting on football games for 50p a time all weekend ,my last bets for the weekend I went all in and saved £2.00 in case I got wiped out and had to start again .

272731D1-F2F1-4806-9432-F6B223780A6D.png

AE75D51A-DE1F-4789-8787-EC55788995D1.png

Flash bastard. I have been using my Lidl app, have had a free loaf of bread and 2 quid off this month so far.

2 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Flash bastard. I have been using my Lidl app, have had a free loaf of bread and 2 quid off this month so far.

Tempted to withdraw 30 and leave 5 but it’s insane how many 50p to a quid bets it’s taken to get to 35 ffs.wasted 2 quid thinking Man City could beat Liverpool 

3 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

do you plan to stay in the UK longer term?

I haven't topped up my years at all (unlike most of my expat mates here) because I am pretty sure that one of the money saving actions of a future british gvt will be to freeze/cancel state pensions to people living overseas.  The NZ gvt already does this for a range of public pensions - nothing, or reduced levels, if you do not live in NZ.

1 minute ago, wherebee said:

I haven't topped up my years at all (unlike most of my expat mates here) because I am pretty sure that one of the money saving actions of a future british gvt will be to freeze/cancel state pensions to people living overseas.  The NZ gvt already does this for a range of public pensions - nothing, or reduced levels, if you do not live in NZ.

It’s too far away in time to know for me, I guess it’s a fairly trivial monthly payment on a coin toss outcome 

Bus Stop Boxer
2 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

"The more you more you more you cool down.

The easier love is found.

Now that is love".

Classic Difford.

1 hour ago, King Penda said:

Tempted to withdraw 30 and leave 5 but it’s insane how many 50p to a quid bets it’s taken to get to 35 ffs.wasted 2 quid thinking Man City could beat Liverpool 

That’s why many people do accumulators.

6 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

I'm just going through the process of registering for Class 2 NI now.  If I've done my maths correctly £163.80 (one years stamp) currently buys a forever annual income of £275.08 which is a yield of 168%.  Seems a no brainer to me and I'm just buying them as an insurance policy... 

No wonder the country is in the state its in.

Form sent off some time ago to HMRC and no response from them as yet.

2 hours ago, wherebee said:

It's already frozen if you're living in most of the world.  Certainly in Australia.  If you can get class 2 I still think it's cheap insurance policy given the starting yield.

I hope to never return to the UK but you just never know.  Someone once said "Life is what happens while you're busy making plans" or similar.

Bobthebuilder
8 hours ago, WICAO said:

HMRC have barely been functioning since the 2020 lockdown, they keep hitting me with tax bills way above my average earnings. Seems every couple of months they decide to hit me on the head with a hammer again, I am getting close to the point of quitting.

11 hours ago, King Penda said:

why not add a zero or two onto the end of your bets? you obviously have an eye for this

8 hours ago, WICAO said:

I'm just going through the process of registering for Class 2 NI now.  If I've done my maths correctly £163.80 (one years stamp) currently buys a forever annual income of £275.08 which is a yield of 168%.  Seems a no brainer to me and I'm just buying them as an insurance policy... 

No wonder the country is in the state its in.

I used similar numbers and logic when I set it up. Unfortunately my faith in our overlords has eroded massively over the last 3 years hence it feels like I’m just throwing (a small amount of) money away every month which is not very dosboddery..

1 hour ago, A_P said:

why not add a zero or two onto the end of your bets? you obviously have an eye for this

To risky I’m a hit and run merchant I cash out a lot and if I see daft odds offered on a draw say 6/8/ to 1 I will risk 50p if there’s only 1 goal in it .the same with daft odds before the game imight risk 50p and cash out if they go in front 

The UK state pension would cost >£200k to buy privately, it is an amazing deal for most people. Doesn't stop lots of old people moaning about how hard done by they are though.

57 minutes ago, Darude said:

The UK state pension would cost >£200k to buy privately, it is an amazing deal for most people. Doesn't stop lots of old people moaning about how hard done by they are though.

For one cash-strapped elderly couple I know it is because the benefit of such a pension comes with the liablity of a whacking Council Tax bill every year taking a huge bite out of it.

On 17/10/2022 at 12:10, Frank Hovis said:

For one cash-strapped elderly couple I know it is because the benefit of such a pension comes with the liablity of a whacking Council Tax bill every year taking a huge bite out of it.

I thought you were in favour of wealth taxes?

On 17/10/2022 at 10:48, King Penda said:

To risky I’m a hit and run merchant I cash out a lot and if I see daft odds offered on a draw say 6/8/ to 1 I will risk 50p if there’s only 1 goal in it .the same with daft odds before the game imight risk 50p and cash out if they go in front 

Did you get your bottle of spirits in the end?

Archived