DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Real or Nominal. How will the HPC manifest?

Formerly

Bobthebuilder
7 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I suspect he just wants to tell people he owns two houses, given it seems he's not even renting one out.

I spent most of my 30s and 40s dreaming of a 2nd home in the shires. These days with the cost of houses, council tax, water rates, energy bills, insurance, maintenance and upkeep, I now realise what a young naive twat I was.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I spent most of my 30s and 40s dreaming of a 2nd home in the shires. These days with the cost of houses, council tax, water rates, energy bills, insurance, maintenance and upkeep, I now realise what a young naive twat I was.

I used to like the idea of having two smaller places instead of one bigger one - one small place in the city and the second one for weekends further out a bit.

The pandemic both giveth and taketh away regarding this - house prices shot way up but at the same time it made remote working a reality for people in my line of work so less need to be near the city, so I will probably end up going a bit further out for my (one) house!

This was whitby harbour in the 60s. Note the size of the fishing fleet

image.png.3ec072974f98ff9d43fe0d05aeb55f60.png

And here we have a more recent picture 

image.jpeg.45095bddae40f1bb95e7c9818dbe2948.jpeg

same dock, just from a different angle. 

12 minutes ago, One percent said:

Things get more modern.

Fleets of tourists replaced them in shiny new trains. 

Democorruptcy
10 minutes ago, One percent said:

Older photo looks a bit drab to be honest. Are you sure it's not just low tide in the newer photo, so the boats are out at sea?

3 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Things get more modern.

Fleets of tourists replaced them in shiny new trains. 

No, our traitorous, quisling government did deals with the EU to fuck over the British fishing industry 

3 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Older photo looks a bit drab to be honest. Are you sure it's not just low tide in the newer photo, so the boats are out at sea?

There are no boats to go out to sea.  I think there might be one with the occasional couple of others mooring up from elsewhere. 

Democorruptcy
59 minutes ago, spunko said:

Have you considered moving to the Lincolnshire Wolds? Not that pricey.

Increasingly an AONB looks like the only sane place to live, where it is difficult if not impossible to build slavebox estates.

This flood risk page is worth checking for the Lincolnshire Wolds

https://check-long-term-flood-risk.service.gov.uk/map

Democorruptcy
9 minutes ago, One percent said:

There are no boats to go out to sea.  I think there might be one with the occasional couple of others mooring up from elsewhere. 

They sell a lot of Whitby fish n chips there lass.

Democorruptcy
1 minute ago, spunko said:

I'm used to living in / near a flood plan so it wouldn't bother me that much. As long as you're not next to a river.

Have you been flooded?

I was just looking for some places https://www.lincswolds.org.uk/exploring/towns-and-villages and noticed Horncastle is "nestled between the river Bain and river Waring". That's a bit floody when you zoom in on the map.

3 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Have you been flooded?

I was just looking for some places https://www.lincswolds.org.uk/exploring/towns-and-villages and noticed Horncastle is "nestled between the river Bain and river Waring". That's a bit floody when you zoom in on the map.

No, but the roads around often get flooded. I lose the number plate on my car every winter pretty much.

I wouldn't want to live within say 250M of a river.

14 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

It’s not landed here. I think it might be Russian. The price of fish and chips has almost doubled 

Bobthebuilder
12 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Don't quote me on this, but I read that 50% of our chip shop cod came from Russian fishing fleets before the war sanctions. That's one of the reasons cod is so pricey at the moment. Does make me laugh when you look at all these chippies with union jacks on them displaying "Great British fish and chips", who knew half of them were pesky Russians.

Democorruptcy
6 minutes ago, spunko said:

No, but the roads around often get flooded. I lose the number plate on my car every winter pretty much.

When in Scotland I once had sandbags at the doors ready but the rain subsided an inch from the top of a grass bank. Certain flood if it had topped the bank. That's the closest I want to get, so it's something I check now.

13 minutes ago, spunko said:

I'm within hop skip and jumping distance B|

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

OK, so the plan is to buy two houses in the same area and you live in both of them yourself.

Fair do.

One for him and one for his alter ego.

Both built by the Fairytale Builders and Sons

1 hour ago, spunko said:

Fine if you are 250 mtrs up

1 hour ago, Democorruptcy said:

Have you been flooded?

Parts of the Wolds are stunning if somewhat isolated (maybe a plus). Horncastle /Caistor/Market Rasen area in particular.

I'm not sure I entirely trust the flood map though. The place I grew up in has medium flood risk for the whole town , yet it hasn't properly flooded since 1953!

I'd obviously do some due diligence as parts of Lincolnshire do have serious flooding issues though.

56 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Don't quote me on this, but I read that 50% of our chip shop cod came from Russian fishing fleets before the war sanctions. That's one of the reasons cod is so pricey at the moment. Does make me laugh when you look at all these chippies with union jacks on them displaying "Great British fish and chips", who knew half of them were pesky Russians.

I love my fish and so am supportive of unused British fish that most of us stick our noses up at, tried Hake the other day which is abundant and a fish that is constantly told to us that it is an unused gem, f*****g rancid and like  I said I am massive fish fan.

Bobthebuilder
2 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

I love my fish and so am supportive of unused British fish that most of us stick our noses up at, tried Hake the other day which is abundant and a fish that is constantly told to us that it is an unused gem, f*****g rancid and like  I said I am massive fish fan.

I have tried a lot of the lesser known species, pollack is ok, but I once tried gurnard after some celebrity chef was banging on about it, best use for it is bait as it always has been, proper rank.

Give me a Dover sole any day, dusted in flour then fried in butter.

Democorruptcy
4 minutes ago, Xtal said:

Parts of the Wolds are stunning if somewhat isolated (maybe a plus). Horncastle /Caistor/Market Rasen area in particular.

I'm not sure I entirely trust the flood map though. The place I grew up in has medium flood risk for the whole town , yet it hasn't properly flooded since 1953!

I'd obviously do some due diligence as parts of Lincolnshire do have serious flooding issues though.

Don't the flood risks look at a period of 100 years? 69 years since being 'properly flooded' in 1953 means that place could be due another. It could be any day now.

Just now, Democorruptcy said:

Don't the flood risks look at a period of 100 years? 69 years since being 'properly flooded' in 1953 means that place could be due another. It could be any day now.

Maybe they do look at 100 years. There were new flood defences completed in 1953 in this particular case though. 

7 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I have tried a lot of the lesser known species, pollack is ok, but I once tried gurnard after some celebrity chef was banging on about it, best use for it is bait as it always has been, proper rank.

Give me a Dover sole any day, dusted in flour then fried in butter.

Herring is quite good(sliver darlings) we also have bags of spider crabs in our waters that is lovely and better than the common brown crab, also mussels are still a bargain, live 1 Kg bag about £4 ish

Democorruptcy
3 minutes ago, Xtal said:

Maybe they do look at 100 years. There were new flood defences completed in 1953 in this particular case though. 

I'd hope they Flood defences into account. They could mean somewhere that flooded previously is now OK but somewhere that didn't, might flood now because they get the diverted water.

Archived