DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

The bonkersness of holiday chalets

One percent

One percent

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/132435227#/?channel=RES_BUY

285k.  O.o  

houses on the same road are going for less. I would imagine that the terms are onerous and restrictive and that there is a massive service charge.  

they are clearly not viewed as a property as no information seems to be held on land registry sold prices 

Frank Hovis

The price is too high but they make some sense as homes as they are the intermediate stage between a house and a static caravan.  The maintenance is fairly non-existent and there will be a workman on site who will do it for you, at a modest cost.

They're also more secure than a house as they're in a protectd site, this particular one says gated, and you also have the other older people around you keeping an eye.

My uncle had one as his main home for a few years, tbh it was too small (the one for sale is a double) but as he travelled a lot between his other two bases this didn't seem to concern him.

The other people on the site were of similar age and outlook so everyone got along.  It was also out in the countryside but, because of the other people living there, there was no sense of isolation.

Though the unspoken problem with such sites turned up to bite him.  However well run they may be the owners can always decide to sell up to a rapacious bigger chain, which happened to him.

They then decided to open up to towing caravans and expanded the facilities, paid for by whacking up the previously low service charge, and so turned a lovely pleasant rural site where everyone knew each other into a more commercial and less personal operation.  He sold up and bought a flat instead.

Going back to the price I would say that £100k would be reasonable.  £285k is silly.

The last chalet I stayed in was so small every time I bent down to look in the fridge the bedroom doorknob inserted itself where it shouldn't.

This looks somewhat bigger but doesn't even show views outside.

Mental.

One percent
41 minutes ago, jamanda said:

The last chalet I stayed in was so small every time I bent down to look in the fridge the bedroom doorknob inserted itself where it shouldn't.

This looks somewhat bigger but doesn't even show views outside.

Mental.

Did you look in the fridge often?  :)

You can smell the stench of overcooked cabbage from the photos. A depressing hellhole prison surrounded by boomers and pensioners. And the irony is they probably only go to the beach once a year. Fuck that.

Frank Hovis
21 minutes ago, spunko said:

You can smell the stench of overcooked cabbage from the photos. A depressing hellhole prison surrounded by boomers and pensioners. And the irony is they probably only go to the beach once a year. Fuck that.

It is only going to be bought, to live in, by a boomer or a pensioner.

I might be living in something similar in my eighties (hoping I get there!) when I no longer wish to run a house and garden.

It's ten times better than a "retirement flat", the only people I would recommend moving to those are those with health problems.

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It is only going to be bought, to live in, by a boomer or a pensioner.

I might be living in something similar in my eighties (hoping I get there!) when I no longer wish to run a house and garden.

It's ten times better than a "retirement flat", the only people I would recommend moving to those are those with health problems.

I wondered that, but it says in the listing it's a holiday home.

Wight Flight
17 minutes ago, spunko said:

Don't they usually have a '10 month occupation' clause so everyone buggers off to Spain for two months?

Most of ours do. The one that doesn't is full of the people you wouldn't want as neighbours.

Frank Hovis
30 minutes ago, spunko said:

Yes...

They all say that.

This way you don't have to pay council tax, because the site pays business rates and you pay a much smaller amount of that as your share.

In theory you can only live there 48 weeks of the year or whatever so you either go on a couple of holidays or just ignore that.

The only hard and fast rule is that you can't use it as your postal address as that would make it a home.

At my uncle's site he said everyone had their post delivered to the post office up the road and they took turns to collect it.

honkydonkey

My folks bought a brand new static a couple of years ago for around 70k. I'd say that chalet is double the size, and the prices of statics have gone to 100k now so realistically it's going to be minimum 200k anyway. You'll note the 'ask agent' for the ground rent, my folks is 300 a month.

I think dependent on site if someone lives in it all year it can be overlooked by management. Most owners of statics have another house so it's only the odd one or two.

Details said.

The site is open 12 months of the year with no restrictions.

But can you live there as your only home? 

Park homes near me are about £200k but site fees are still expensive.

Someone I know is trying to sell one in Lincolnshire for £100kish and site fees about £2k. 

Park homes still have to pay council tax and services are usually marked up by site owner.

I think our local council turned a blind eye to the not residential bit. It tried it on at one location and ended up having to find a few people council accomodation.

I understand the site owner can force you to get rid of your chalet when it becomes old/ shabby...

It's a lot of money for something that is basically worthless if you are asked to move it..

£285k is a steep price, for a wooden bungalow, so I don't think I'd be in the market for one.  Also, it's in the North East and I wouldn't have expected it to be that pricey.

Being of a pensionable age, I might be in the market for something similar.  There used to be sites surrounded by secure barbed wire, guards with dogs and high towers equipped with searchlights.  One would feel very secure, in such an environment,  - no problems with feral youths.

They were famous for their lively social clubs, frequently amateur tunnelling if I recall correctly.

Anyone know of such a development?

2 hours ago, katar said:

£285k is a steep price, for a wooden bungalow, so I don't think I'd be in the market for one.  Also, it's in the North East and I wouldn't have expected it to be that pricey.

North Yorkshire :Old:

xD

“Wrap around decking”

I have no idea how to price that. Loads of ground rent I expect and it’s leasehold. What is the model these days air  bnb  etc ? Surely should be much less can’t cost that much to build

PatronizingGit

A lot of these places are age restricted. People want to live near other old quiet people. 

As they say about expensive restaurants, the price isnt the cost of the food, its the cost of keeping the plebs out.

Archived