DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Some of you will hate this.

With a crooked smile

Bobthebuilder
17 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

It's a backup plan I'd keep in mind especially if I wasn't planning on being in the house for long stretches during the year

If the price was right I would buy a small 2 bed flat in the countryside, my mate who has a disability would move in as a lodger, £7500 tax free for me, and he gets a place that I would only stay in a few times a year, I currently stay at his rented place when I visit anyway, so not much difference.

There you go, you all thought I was a property bear, but here I am thinking about another.......

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

That's incorrect, I am a builder and have been through a few recessions. What happens is most trades who cannot drum up their own work move to a different job, those that have the people skills to go out on their own tend to do well. (cheap trades are just shit basically).

2008 to 2015 was the most profitable period in my business to date, in fact I bought a house during that period and paid the debt off.

House price drops. People upgrade the kitchen, bathroom, garden. Domestic bodgers win, win. Your bang on Bob.

• Cheers 1

Democorruptcy
6 hours ago, With a crooked smile said:

We've often talked on here about how the government will encourage / force the occupation of spare rooms.

The idea of increasing the rent a room relief is being more widely discussed again.

No one with a spare room is going to be that negatively affected by interest rate hikes. People will just cut their cloth according to their coat

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fmoney%2Fconsumer-affairs%2Ffirst-time-buyers-now-need-lodgers-afford-mortgage-property%2F

If no one with a spare room is going to be negatively affected by interest rate hikes by taking in a lodger, why did they wait for the interest rates hikes? In fact why do spare rooms exist at all, if taking in a lodger is so luvverly?

• Agree 1

Red Debt Redemption
3 hours ago, Van Lady said:

At a house I lived in we (was still with ex husband then) replaced an old wooden L shaped garage/shed with a breeze block built, slate roof, wet dashed then painted white rectangular garage matching the house. It had electricity but no water. No planning permission for it. It was an improvement and nothing was said in the village other than how nice it was. Ex was a joiner and had loads of machines and stuff.

It was huge…..the buyers converted it to a holiday home over 15 years ago. They didn’t get planning permission for that either but it’s been sneakily done with all windows and doors off the side road where it’s situated. No complaints. I’d have done the same if I’d had the means.

As long as its not messing with neighbours, noise etc this is how it should be communities working together against authorities not enriching them through permits, fines, policies and laws.

• Agree 3

Bus Stop Boxer
6 hours ago, spunko said:

Where is thise risk exactly coming from, HMRC? Border Force? The Police?

I don't see any risk whatsoever here. This country doesnt have the manpower to investigate even 1 in 100 crimes that get reported.

The only 'risk' I can see,  is coming home from work and discovering that your lodger Abdulaziz has sublet your living room out to 6 of his contemporaries.

Personally, I'd rather be living under a bridge than sharing my home with some ethnic.

Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 15-06-27 Most first-time buyers now need lodgers to get on the property ladder.png

Dead gran comin' thru.....

• Lol 1

20 hours ago, With a crooked smile said:

Yeah we spoke about this before. I think for those with 2 spare rooms each below 7.5k they will slip through the net easily.

In London where you could be asking £800 a month for one room in an online advert there's slightly more risk.

I made out like a bandit with 3 spare rooms in the past.

My mate in Telford gets 900 every 4 weeks he lives in the loft.I said won’t a caravan in the garden be a better option.ps he does have a velox window and it’s boarded

• Informative 2

15 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Um....I'd count going from having your own place to having to revert to having to share with a stranger being a fairly negative effect.

It's a backup plan I'd keep in mind especially if I wasn't planning on being in the house for long stretches during the year but I'd hardly envy those who do have to resort to that - regardless of the tax breaks.

Some things more important than money quite frankly.

It’s all about options with me

With a crooked smile
8 minutes ago, King Penda said:

My mate in Telford gets 900 every 4 weeks he lives in the loft.I said won’t a caravan in the garden be a better option.ps he does have a velox window and it’s boarded

I've thought about this as part of an end game. We'll have a very nice house in The Lakes. My view is could we buy a caravan and occasionally rent the house out on airbnb for a 1 week min. The proceeds of renting the house out would hopefully minimise the costs of caravan ownership and trips for a week around different parts of the UK. Sounds ideal.

Our next house will probably rent out circa 4k a week. Minus professional cleaning costs and I know exactly what those costs are.

Edited by With a crooked smile
  • Informative 2

3 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

I've thought about this as part of an end game. We'll have a very nice house in The Lakes. My view is could we buy a caravan and occasionally rent the house out on airbnb for a 1 week min. The proceeds of renting the house out would hopefully minimise the costs of caravan ownership and trips for a week around different parts of the UK. Sounds ideal.

Our next house will probably rent out circa 4k a week. Minus professional cleaning costs and I know exactly what those costs are.

Yes I don’t no exactly what to buy next some old terraces are way more adaptable than say x council 3 beds . But council houses normaly have off road parking and gardens. Terraces less chance. Corner terraces around here can often be 1300 sq feet or more has well.mind they also have 10ft high ceilings 

With a crooked smile
32 minutes ago, King Penda said:

Yes I don’t no exactly what to buy next some old terraces are way more adaptable than say x council 3 beds . But council houses normaly have off road parking and gardens. Terraces less chance. Corner terraces around here can often be 1300 sq feet or more has well.mind they also have 10ft high ceilings 

If the area is OK some ex council estates can be excellent imo. As long as they aren't dumping grounds or have a really bad family. The gardens as you say can be excellent. 

• Agree 1

ThePiltdownMan
On 19/08/2023 at 15:05, spunko said:

Personally, I'd rather be living under a bridge than sharing my home with some ethnic.

Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 15-06-27 Most first-time buyers now need lodgers to get on the property ladder.png

I was thinking that if you absolutely had to take in an ethnic lodger (like if someone was pointing a gun at your head) you could do a lot worse than that slim Moroccan lady, but then I found this

• Informative 1

sleepwello'nights
2 hours ago, ThePiltdownMan said:

I was thinking that if you absolutely had to take in an ethnic lodger (like if someone was pointing a gun at your head) you could do a lot worse than that slim Moroccan lady, but then I found this

She's got a fucking big chip on her shoulder. I wonder how she feels if she walks into a room full of black people. 

• Agree 4

14 hours ago, ThePiltdownMan said:

Whiteyslamophobia! 😠

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, ThePiltdownMan said:

I assumed she would be stand-up comedy and kept waiting for the jokes. 

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Austin Allegro
On 19/08/2023 at 14:29, With a crooked smile said:

Yeah we spoke about this before. I think for those with 2 spare rooms each below 7.5k they will slip through the net easily.

In London where you could be asking £800 a month for one room in an online advert there's slightly more risk.

I made out like a bandit with 3 spare rooms in the past.

Friend of a friend inherited a small terraced house in Oxford with three bedrooms in her late twenties. Kept one for herself and rented the other two out - will never need to work again.

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Friend of a friend inherited a small terraced house in Oxford with three bedrooms in her late twenties. Kept one for herself and rented the other two out - will never need to work again.

I suggest there are very few people who would be happy to share a small terraced house with two strangers for the rest of their days.

• Agree 4

8 hours ago, AWW said:

I suggest there are very few people who would be happy to share a small terraced house with two strangers for the rest of their days.

Depends on luck of getting the right strangers. In my twenties I had a 3-bed end terrace and was just about able to afford it. Anyone at work who knew this was always pestering me about their mate who needed somewhere to live. Eventually I ended up with two girls in the other two rooms. They were brilliant, only there in the week, it worked great for everyone. 

9 hours ago, AWW said:

Yes doesn't sound like living the dream to me...

"I don't have to go to work because I get to live in a houseshare like a student my whole life."

Well whoopdee do.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Funn3r said:

Depends on luck of getting the right strangers. In my twenties I had a 3-bed end terrace and was just about able to afford it. Anyone at work who knew this was always pestering me about their mate who needed somewhere to live. Eventually I ended up with two girls in the other two rooms. They were brilliant, only there in the week, it worked great for everyone. 

The important point here being "twenties".

• Lol 1

• 5 months later...
Chewing Grass
41 minutes ago, King Penda said:

This one’s interesting its aready got a bedroom ie extension with a wet room. Backs onto a green thingy and lots of parking .https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/133059089?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=buying&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=copytoclipboard#/&channel=RES_BUY

Good spot to metal detect from.

Looks like a vacant possession nan's house.

Will be in good order (probably).

Screenshotfrom2024-02-2417-59-04.thumb.jpg.a8f06bbcaa0a167ed98d4e4f8483a32f.jpg

King Penda
2 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Good spot to metal detect from.

Looks like a vacant possession nan's house.

Will be in good order (probably).

Screenshotfrom2024-02-2417-59-04.thumb.jpg.a8f06bbcaa0a167ed98d4e4f8483a32f.jpg

Never detect near a rifle range .I went on an area where the home guard trained and ended up with 40/50 damp but live rounds . I’ve seen hand granades found on digs before then you get the bomb squad out if your bored 

1 hour ago, King Penda said:

This one’s interesting its aready got a bedroom ie extension with a wet room. Backs onto a green thingy and lots of parking .https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/133059089?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=buying&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=copytoclipboard#/&channel=RES_BUY

Some had granny living there for a few years.

King Penda
1 minute ago, eek said:

Some had granny living there for a few years.

Yes your probably correct it kept her out of care for awhile no doubt