Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     


sarahbell

Recommended Posts

Why would she do that?  It doesn't all look bad but certainly does look out of place.  I can't imagine a greater mismatch between the inside and outside of the house.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People really are getting desperate for unique interior design ideas when they end up creating wall light fittings such as in picture 10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not particular to this house but to answer the question as to why people build ultra modern extensions onto Listed Buildings, it is because that is all the planners will allow. If you have never met a Conservation Officer then count yourself lucky. I'm looking to extend my small cottage and so far have come up against a brick wall, unless it's a glazed aluminium framed carbuncle.

Their reasoning is that trying to blend any extension into the rest of the building will look silly,  and that it must instead match the current architecture of the time. 

So you can either build that,  or move. It's such a shame. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As for the rightmove house I think it's stunning externally, internally not bad if a bit footballers wife.  Looks like a budding designer called Melanie is trying to advertise herself via house sale,  very little on her on Google though... Probably just got a rich finance husband and wants a new career. 

Edit: just researched the owners,  hate being right all the time...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

As for the rightmove house I think it's stunning externally, internally not bad if a bit footballers wife.  Looks like a budding designer called Melanie is trying to advertise herself via house sale,  very little on her on Google though... Probably just got a rich finance husband and wants a new career. 

Edit: just researched the owners,  hate being right all the time...

Which is obviously why all new-builds in Devon seem to either evoke Cotswold village houses of yesteryear, or some coastal colonial style, rather than modern architecture - not

dshe1_streetscene_wide_xl.jpg?6365292134

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ForeverBlowingBubbles

Wow. What a mess. Money can't buy you taste. I'm surprised there aren't cherubs pissing in the wind in the driveway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, sarahbell said:

https://houseprices.io/?q=school+street%2C+drayton%2C+langport%2C+somerset

22/09/2016   £1,600,000   Drayton Manor, School Street, Drayton, Langport, TA10 0LL

Not many 600k/month fotballers in Somerzset then.

http://melaniehall.com/projects/

' If Mondrian had a one-night stand with Barbarella, this would be their thoroughly wicked love child” '

Yeah i dont know ho mondrian is either.

Here he is, demonstrating timeless style ....

18849_109525281205.jpg

 

https://www.countrylife.co.uk/property/18th-century-manor-surprising-interior-178773

 

'Buyers who failed to buy one of south Somerset’s prettiest small manor houses, Grade II-listed Drayton Manor at Drayton when it came to the market in 2014 may be tempted to have another go, following its recent launch onto the market, at a guide price of £2.5 million through Knight Frank and Humberts.'

Ahh, the optimism of EAs ...

'Externally, the house looks much the same as it did four years ago. Behind the old front door, however, a ‘Somerset surprise’ awaits, in the shape of a futuristic, ultra-modern interior designed by its owner, Melanie Hall, whose signature devices include textured ‘bubbleicious’ 3D walls, splashes of vibrant colour from her own furniture designs and theatrical light fittings.'

She actually owns it!!!!!!!!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/space-age-chic-in-a-2-5m-georgian-manor-lhlw7jffm

http://www.destinasian.com/blog/news-briefs/qa-with-melanie-hall-of-luna2-studios

'What led you to set up camp in Bali? What attracted you to Indonesia? My husband, Stewart Hall, was a former banker and I had my own interior design firm in Jakarta. We lived [in Jakarta] for 12 years until 2010 when we moved to Bali to establish Luna2 headquarters and to kick-start the construction of Luna2 studios. Until we moved to Singapore last year, my three children had only ever lived in Indonesia. Frankly, we are Indonesiaphiles. We loved living in Jakarta, and Bali was a blissful two-year stint.'

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sleepwello'nights

I quite like it. I'll have another go at the lottery again this week. The Euromillions rollover last week, or was it the week before, had the website unavailable it was so busy. Like it was only for £40 million or so, why the panic?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Wahoo said:

If it's a listed property...they'll never sell it.

 

I see it is...how did they get permission for those internal alterations????

Maybe they didnt.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alifelessbinary
9 hours ago, Wahoo said:

If it's a listed property...they'll never sell it.

 

I see it is...how did they get permission for those internal alterations????

Most listings only protect the exterior of a building. On some occasion if the interior retains much of its original features then it might also achieve listed status, although this is much rarer for normal residential dwellings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Alifelessbinary said:

Most listings only protect the exterior of a building. On some occasion if the interior retains much of its original features then it might also achieve listed status, although this is much rarer for normal residential dwellings.

Are you sure about that? I thought the Law was changed so you need to apply for any internal alterations now. It doesn't cost to put in the application however.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One percent
3 hours ago, Wahoo said:

Are you sure about that? I thought the Law was changed so you need to apply for any internal alterations now. It doesn't cost to put in the application however.

A bloke local to me (retired incomer) took out something called a box staircase and found himself in. World of hurt. 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/456598/Officer-who-caught-Great-Train-Robbers-on-trial-for-removing-staircase

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, One percent said:

A bloke local to me (retired incomer) took out something called a box staircase and found himself in. World of hurt. 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/456598/Officer-who-caught-Great-Train-Robbers-on-trial-for-removing-staircase

That's harsh.  But if the staircase was a big problem, whoever "improved" that property in the first post is getting locked up for a good few years

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alifelessbinary
15 hours ago, Wahoo said:

Are you sure about that? I thought the Law was changed so you need to apply for any internal alterations now. It doesn't cost to put in the application however.

As a Chartered Surveyor I’m pretty sure. The issue is that with all job protection ventures there are shades of grey to help keep conservation officers protect their jobs.

It’s a pretty dry subject but there are some good resources online to help people avoid the pitfalls. Interior alterations are much harder to police and therefore only prime examples tend to get listed, as people don’t like to be told what they can do internally.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alifelessbinary
1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

do conservation officers go and poke their nose in if they get an email?

If it has listed internal status and they feel it is threatened then normally they would investigate.

it depends how diligent the office is and their workload. In the right instance they play an important role to stop people butchering or removing architectural heritage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Caravan Monster
On 29/07/2018 at 15:31, sarahbell said:

xD classy ! I reckon it should be about 500k because it'll be about £2M to restore the period interior

On 29/07/2018 at 23:56, spunko2010 said:

Their reasoning is that trying to blend any extension into the rest of the building will look silly,  and that it must instead match the current architecture of the time. 

So you can either build that,  or move. It's such a shame. 

Indeed, they also extend this theory to the date of alterations. Result being more than one disappointed customer was told by the council conservation officer that they could not have a slate or tile roof on their £1M 300 year old stone farmhouse and could only replace corrugated tin with corrugated tin because that is how it was bodged up in the sixties. Otherwise they just make it up as they go along. I suspect my parents have pissed away over £30k in architects fees and comedy surveys trying to get approval for quite reasonable alterations to their home in preparation for old age only to be denied by the conservation officer for spurious reasons at every turn. I heard :ph34r: pre google earth, it was not unheard of for people without adjacent neighbors to make quite extensive 'pre application' alterations to their homes and skilled conservation builders were useful in being able to make new work look as though it had been there for a very long time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Alifelessbinary said:

As a Chartered Surveyor I’m pretty sure. The issue is that with all job protection ventures there are shades of grey to help keep conservation officers protect their jobs.

It’s a pretty dry subject but there are some good resources online to help people avoid the pitfalls. Interior alterations are much harder to police and therefore only prime examples tend to get listed, as people don’t like to be told what they can do internally.

 

The listing applies to the entire property inside and out it also includes the curtilage e.g. garden. If the listing text doesn't mention anything about the interior this normally means you can get away with changes easily. 

Also a Conservation Officer has an implied right of access but you can refuse to let them in. If they're feeling arsey they can call the police though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...