DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 2)

spunko

3 minutes ago, AWW said:

Now pay £12 a month for unlimited data and get between 20 and 50 Mbps, depending on time of day and weather.

May I ask who that is with please as it's a cracking deal.  Been more than that when I look but deals do seem to come and go.

• Replies 35.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Harley said:

May I ask who that is with please as it's a cracking deal.  Been more than that when I look but deals do seem to come and go.

Smarty, although it was a Black Friday deal. They now want £20. Still not bad.

We also take the router on holiday with us and buy a local SIM to avoid paying for expensive and crap hotel Wi-Fi.

40 minutes ago, AWW said:

5G also allows for physical broadband speeds but without the expense of digging up roads to lay fibre.

I've had a 4G router at home for six months or so now, having got sick of crap service and long contracts from the likes of BT and Virgin Media. Now pay £12 a month for unlimited data and get between 20 and 50 Mbps, depending on time of day and weather. I can switch providers without notice simply by changing the SIM.

Those speeds required cable a few years ago. Now the telcos are up to several hundred Mbps on physical links. 5G will allow mobile telcos to do that without wires.

In my experience, the unlimited data part is true, but the speeds get throttled quite radically once you breach certain data threshold. That's always been enough to keep me away from using mobile as my primary provider.

I've never had it throttled, and that's using about 500GB a month. The only time I notice a difference between it and VM 100Mbps fibre is when downloading a large file. In normal usage - Web browsing, streaming video, Spotify etc, you just can't tell the difference.

I'm so glad to be able to get away from long contracts and crap service. My cancellation saga with VM dragged on for six months when they claimed never to have received my cancellation letter (can't cancel online and phone wait times were over an hour - because Covid), even though they sent me written confirmation of receipt. They ended up getting debt collectors involved and I had to go to independent arbitration, because the fucktards on the phone in Bangalore were incapable of admitting that their employer could make a mistake. I was really looking forward to being taken to court, but in the end agreed £200 compensation for my time, and of course all outstanding bills being cancelled.

I used to recommend them as well, as the broadband service was fine. Wouldn't touch them with a shitty stick now.

10 minutes ago, AWW said:

If anyone wants to try Smarty, use my referral link and we'll both get a free month - http://referme.to/eAc7vux
They use the Three network, so if the signal is crap in your area, go elsewhere.

its quite good, i shifted from virgin mobile to these, for mobile phone, i hardly use it for internet so just went for the shittiest 1GB a month, put my daughter on it for the 30Gig £10 a month and cos we went into a group plan i get charged £9 for hers (pound off) and mine gets maybe a quid back cos i hardly use data, but i do make a lot of calls and sms so overall its pretty good.  I havent looked at sim internet (mifi) - mainly cos they dont come to much less than my almost 100% reliable plusnet phone+broadband deal, never use the landline, although do receive calls on it sometimes,  which irks me for the £18/month standing charge, but i only pay like £4 or so a month for adsl unlimited broadband, which i have to admit has been 99.99% reliable over the last few years. Even the old netgear router that tiscali gave me 13 years ago is still going strong. Its so good that i saw the same one in a skip at work years ago so i took it home and it worked, so i have a backup as well.

Democorruptcy
2 hours ago, AWW said:

5G also allows for physical broadband speeds but without the expense of digging up roads to lay fibre.

I've had a 4G router at home for six months or so now, having got sick of crap service and long contracts from the likes of BT and Virgin Media. Now pay £12 a month for unlimited data and get between 20 and 50 Mbps, depending on time of day and weather. I can switch providers without notice simply by changing the SIM.

Those speeds required cable a few years ago. Now the telcos are up to several hundred Mbps on physical links. 5G will allow mobile telcos to do that without wires.

To be fair it could have been worse, a "BT and Vodafone" would have torpedoed 2 thread darlings.

Edit to ask:

How much was the 4G router and what's the point of it instead of a phone? Is it to save using the battery on a phone? I have an unlocked phone and just turn the wifi hotspot on, if I want to tether my laptop or smart TV. It seems more mobile and there's the camera.

Democorruptcy
On 01/02/2021 at 17:31, Starsend said:

Below is what the search on Hargreaves Lansdown returns for Gazprom.

Both in USD. First one shows a dividend yield of over 13%, second one over 7%?

Anybody know which one to buy? Is one preferable over the other?

GAZ  
OGZD

I have no comment about those 2 firms just a warning about HL dividends. (Again.... I know I go on about it but one day it might help someone).

RDSB today THE a classic case. Yesterday the dividend on HL was displayed as 11.05%, it is currently 3.84%. Yesterday they announced the dividend for Quarter 4, 2020 was $0.1665 and unchanged compared to Quarter 3 2020. Why the huge drop then? It's because up until today they were calculating the dividend based on the last annual dividend i.e. the 4 quarterly payments of $0.47 in 2019. The 4 quarterly payments in 2020 were $0.16, $0.16, $0.1665 and $0.1665

In my mind their 11.05% yesterday was totally misleading. Yesterday we already knew the 3 payments in 2020 were 1/3 of the same quarters in 2019. I think it would be better if the dividend figure was for a rolling year, i.e. in this case yesterday should have been based on $0.47, $0.16, $0.16 and $0.1665. 

Also any firm that isn't currently paying a dividend should state "N/A" instead of a misleading figure you won't be paid!

4 hours ago, AWW said:

Smarty, although it was a Black Friday deal. They now want £20. Still not bad.

We also take the router on holiday with us and buy a local SIM to avoid paying for expensive and crap hotel Wi-Fi.

Thank you.  I see it is owned and uses the Three network.  I need to check coverage.  I have been waiting for the crossover point from land to mobile internet.  Not there on price last time but hopefully next time my contract us up for renewal. I understand it is now a regulation that sims can be used for either broadband (e.g. in a home router or dongle) or in a mobile?

9 hours ago, geordie_lurch said:

Yep but BP is still the only main oilie I track that's still down today? :S

BP (NYSE:BP)

Short Interest Data
Current Short Volume: 10,440,000 shares
Previous Short Volume: 6,380,000 shares
Change Vs. Previous Month: +63.64%
Dollar Volume Sold Short: $238.66 million.

During the worst stages of 2020, short volumes were around 25% on BP ADR.

It is currently running double that for the past 4 days. 

They're keep winning till they stop winning.

Nice of them to offer us all some nice cheap stock.

2 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

I have no comment about those 2 firms just a warning about HL dividends. (Again.... I know I go on about it but one day it might help someone).

RDSB today THE a classic case. Yesterday the dividend on HL was displayed as 11.05%, it is currently 3.84%. Yesterday they announced the dividend for Quarter 4, 2020 was $0.1665 and unchanged compared to Quarter 3 2020. Why the huge drop then? It's because up until today they were calculating the dividend based on the last annual dividend i.e. the 4 quarterly payments of $0.47 in 2019. The 4 quarterly payments in 2020 were $0.16, $0.16, $0.1665 and $0.1665

In my mind their 11.05% yesterday was totally misleading. Yesterday we already knew the 3 payments in 2020 were 1/3 of the same quarters in 2019. I think it would be better if the dividend figure was for a rolling year, i.e. in this case yesterday should have been based on $0.47, $0.16, $0.16 and $0.1665. 

Also any firm that isn't currently paying a dividend should state "N/A" instead of a misleading figure you won't be paid!

The misleading dividends thing really does get your goat. I’m pretty sure Google Finance adopts a similar model to HL. Which is annoying. However, I’d hope anyone who considered investing in a company would look at the most recent financial statements prior to pulling the trigger. 

4 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

To be fair it could have been worse, a "BT and Vodafone" would have torpedoed 2 thread darlings.

Edit to ask:

How much was the 4G router and what's the point of it instead of a phone? Is it to save using the battery on a phone? I have an unlocked phone and just turn the wifi hotspot on, if I want to tether my laptop or smart TV. It seems more mobile and there's the camera.

Classically you use a dedicated 4g router because their wifi is higher power (more coverage in the house) and they can typically connect (many) more clients (most phones are limited to 5-10 or so, which is fine for a holiday, but can quickly run out in a normal house where even lights might be connected to wifi these days).  They're usually much better at sorting out the NAT tables as well -- it takes a bit of work to max out a NAT table these days, but torrent hammers it and will sort out the man-routers from the boy-routers.  It can also be nice to have a wired Ethernet socket or two, which some 4G routers support.  IMO 4G routers also do network security much better than phones.

But if your phone works for you there's no real need to upgrade.

Watch what they do, not what they say...

I just can't see these employment cliff edges coming to fruition, these are different times, lessons from the GFC have been learned with the perfect excuse still with us. The conservatives don't want a sticky 10% unemployment rate if it can be avoided.

1 hour ago, Hunty said:

BP (NYSE:BP)

Short Interest Data
Current Short Volume: 10,440,000 shares
Previous Short Volume: 6,380,000 shares
Change Vs. Previous Month: +63.64%
Dollar Volume Sold Short: $238.66 million.

During the worst stages of 2020, short volumes were around 25% on BP ADR.

It is currently running double that for the past 4 days. 

They're keep winning till they stop winning.

Nice of them to offer us all some nice cheap stock.

Hopefully they will load up a few more,most woke institutions sold into the lows and most weak hands will be shaken out for the cycle.It will take several knockdowns to also kick out the iv made 15% im out people each run up.The focus on "green" is relentless and sentiment is on the floor.Its almost universal that people think $60 is a long term ceiling as they think supply can come back.They are in for a shock later in the cycle when its treble that.

1 hour ago, DurhamBorn said:

Hopefully they will load up a few more,most woke institutions sold into the lows and most weak hands will be shaken out for the cycle.It will take several knockdowns to also kick out the iv made 15% im out people each run up.The focus on "green" is relentless and sentiment is on the floor.Its almost universal that people think $60 is a long term ceiling as they think supply can come back.They are in for a shock later in the cycle when its treble that.

I need a way to invest in the stock market but not be in the stock market .if my projections are correct I could have 12/14k of cash in my house by the years end which is pretty stupid

Democorruptcy
2 hours ago, Castlevania said:

The misleading dividends thing really does get your goat. I’m pretty sure Google Finance adopts a similar model to HL. Which is annoying. However, I’d hope anyone who considered investing in a company would look at the most recent financial statements prior to pulling the trigger. 

It does get my goat because I suggested HL changed it last year. I'm not convinced some newbies won't get sucked in, while interest are so low.

Democorruptcy
2 hours ago, feed said:

i use this for Div data.  UK only but historic and current status. 

https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/ex-dividend-date-search.py?searchTerm=bt.a

I use that for ex-dividend dates and the historical yield for RDSB looks to be calculated the way I think HL should do it. On a rolling year not previous full year. I reckon using rolling year before today RDSB should have been about 5.5%, as the $0.47 Q4 2019 would still have been included.

Democorruptcy
2 hours ago, dgul said:

Classically you use a dedicated 4g router because their wifi is higher power (more coverage in the house) and they can typically connect (many) more clients (most phones are limited to 5-10 or so, which is fine for a holiday, but can quickly run out in a normal house where even lights might be connected to wifi these days).  They're usually much better at sorting out the NAT tables as well -- it takes a bit of work to max out a NAT table these days, but torrent hammers it and will sort out the man-routers from the boy-routers.  It can also be nice to have a wired Ethernet socket or two, which some 4G routers support.  IMO 4G routers also do network security much better than phones.

But if your phone works for you there's no real need to upgrade.

Valid point about the Ethernet port for better security instead of wifi. I don't use my phone as a hotspot permanently. It was handy when the satellite broadband used to go down for a day now and again and the blank week when that was replaced by fibre.

Archived